Said it before, will say it again!

traveler44

Yeah! You can pull Cabbage hill but can you pull Sugarloaf Mtn.? Just kidding! Do you have a F350 or a F450? My 11 year old F350 is still stock and I figure after it got 200,000 that it would be a little late costwise to start changing it. I did put gauges in mine and I watch my speed and temperatures, coolant additives, and change the oil and filters regularly. I am still learning things about the diesel trucks after having this one for 5 years now. The weakest part of my setup is the srw because it still has the stock rims, and bigger tires and rims do give you more margin for wear on the tires before they pop from the strain of the pin weight- 2600# on mine.

porthole

Retired
I think I've decided on the R4Tech system.
Not sure if you've looked into it further.
The Bilstein 5100's were an ok upgrade but I'm thinking that self leveling bag over single leaf should do the trick. Will probably end up putting the Bilsteins on the '07 truck to help it out some.

I Am also leaning towards the R4. The 4 link system I have been following on the Ford forum seems to have some issues.
The most I have looked into it is asking the local distributor to get a price, I haven't followed up on that though, been busy with other stuff. If I could I would like to do it before winter arrives, I'm thinking with the way the system works it should make the truck ride so much better unloaded as well as loaded.
I did the fuel tank last month, that was pricey and the R4 is no bowl of soup.
Bilsteins will at least go on the front. As for the front, loaded or un-loaded, the front seems to be balanced fairly well with capacity versus ride.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This thread epitomizes exactly why I stopped posting to any Tow Vehicle thread 8 months ago. They always end up the same way. :eek:

(In this case, this one did not start well.)

Below, you will see a picture of the current Diesel Engine mod I'm doing to my TV, arriving at my mechanics shop. They tell me I'm going to need a suspension upgrade.

Trace:D

Attachments

• largest-diesel-engine.jpg
    largest-diesel-engine.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Wmnmy

My new Ford has factory-installed TPMS.

Oh yeah, I could pull Cabbage Hill at 55mph with my old stock '04 Duramax and 5'r.

Stock is good enough for me.
I couldn't wait got the 2011 f250 lariat power stroke diesel have you had any concerns with it how does it pull . My first diesel pu .

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This thread epitomizes exactly why I stopped posting to any Tow Vehicle thread 8 months ago. They always end up the same way. :eek:

(In this case, this one did not start well.)

Below, you will see a picture of the current Engine mod I'm doing to my TV, arriving at my mechanics shop. Trace:D
Yeah, I wanna see that go under an Interstate bridge.:eek:

TedS

Wmnmy, it pulls just fine. Made two trips in CO and UT and we are up at about 7000 ft, accumulated about 1000 miles before putting it all away for the winter. Went over Wolf Creek Pass over 10000 ft no problem. I'm still getting used to what I perceive as throttle lag, a delay when accelerating and then the transmission shifts and the boost kicks in. I think I like the tow/haul shift points better than the standard shift points, even for non-towing driving. I'm a little selfconscious when the tires chirp in second gear. 70-year olds don't do that like when they were younger. Still like it.

Wmnmy

Wmnmy, it pulls just fine. Made two trips in CO and UT and we are up at about 7000 ft, accumulated about 1000 miles before putting it all away for the winter. Went over Wolf Creek Pass over 10000 ft no problem. I'm still getting used to what I perceive as throttle lag, a delay when accelerating and then the transmission shifts and the boost kicks in. I think I like the tow/haul shift points better than the standard shift points, even for non-towing driving. I'm a little selfconscious when the tires chirp in second gear. 70-year olds don't do that like when they were younger. Still like it.
thanks for the info Ted I'm looking forward to a great time with this truck have heard nothing but good comments on it my first diesel rides smooth sounds great for a turbo I haven't had wheels chirp yet again thanks for response .

Wmnmy

Ted did you put firestone air bags on mine was sagging a little bit so I put heavy duty bags and compressor on it took photos without bags will take more during my trip to California ne xt week

TedS

Wmnmy, no I did no install air bags. Truck and trailer sit level enough, maybe the trailer is slightly nose high but close enough. I have about 2740lbs. pin weight.

Wmnmy

Wmnmy, no I did no install air bags. Truck and trailer sit level enough, maybe the trailer is slightly nose high but close enough. I have about 2740lbs. pin weight.
ok just got back from San Diego las Vegas weekend and wow that power stroke pulled the heck outta the cyclone even dw was impressed . The v-10 can't even touch it pulling up those grades wow the Firestone air bags did the trick also no chucking the engine stayed at around 1600 1800 rpms with cruise on and the engine exhaust was awesome only used brakes three times down hill very light traffic and I got 4mpg more than the v-10 with 1600 miles on this truck I like it .

Wmnmy

I also like having the compressor on board to top off my tires on truck and fifth wheel I usually spend three dollars every time I start my trips well worth it 60 psi in bags and I had to keep looking back to make sure it w as back there .