Long Term Camping

lorax

When spending a month or more in one place are there any considerations that I should be aware of? Do I move the slide room from time to time? How about draining the waste and gray water tank? Leave the gray water tank open? Should the slide room be supported? The tires covered? I've camped a lot but I'm wondering about a long time in one spot will do to the coach.
Thanks!
Ted

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When spending a month or more in one place are there any considerations that I should be aware of? Do I move the slide room from time to time? How about draining the waste and gray water tank? Leave the gray water tank open? Should the slide room be supported? The tires covered? I've camped a lot but I'm wondering about a long time in one spot will do to the coach.
Thanks!
Ted

Do I move the slide room from time to time?
No need...

Should the slide room be supported?
No..

How about draining the waste and gray water tank? Leave the gray water tank open?
When staying a long time in one spot wait until your tanks are full or mostly full, but do not leave the valves open, expecially the Black tank... You can empty the tanks often depending on how often your move. We dump every time we move.

The tires covered?
If you stay for long periods, like 6 months some do it more often.

Others will chime in but this is my thoughts.

FWIW
BC

fljlcw

Slide rooms some say yes some no we are camp hosting and dont move our slides unless we have to we do use A slide spray on the mechanism before we move them and occasionaly spray them to keep the rust down , Grey tanks leave open if your hooked up to sewer, black tank closed and dump when full , slide supports no especially if parked on dirt, yes cover your tires they will last longer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Gray tank to the kitchen many times will have some debris in it. If it flows out part way it can pile up and get into the channel of the gray gate valve and make it where it won't close. So will grease from washing dishes. I had to change out a gray valve after it became clogged. I strongly suggest that the best chance is to keep the valves closed until you need to dump..

That is just my opinion.

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Leaving the grey valves open allows the gasses and odors from the sewer system to vent through your vents.
Doing this sometimes creates a smelly neighborhood.
Just sayin.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We primarily use our rig on a seasonal site from early May to the end of September. We are normally "in residence" for two to three weeks at a time and run home for a week or so between visits. It sits with the slides open all summer with no supports under them. I don't run them in and out periodically, either. The tank valves stay closed until I need to dump them. Having the grays full when dumping the black helps clear nasties out of the hose and piping. I do cover my tires while on the site, as well when in storage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO .. Leave your tank valves closed until you drain them. Then when draining drain the black first, then the galley gray and then the bath gray. If you do it in that order the galley gray helps flush out the pipes from the black tank debris and the left over soap from the bath gray helps flush out any food debris left over in the piping. If you leave the gray tanks open when stopped you will find the odor from the sewer will back up in the open piping and you will have a 'smelly' coach.

lorax

Thanks, all. I'll continue to keep the valves closed as the smell seems like that would be an issue. Also, glad to hear that I don't have to move the slide room. I just wanted to check with this esteemed group.
Ted

JohnDar

Thanks, all. I'll continue to keep the valves closed as the smell seems like that would be an issue. Also, glad to hear that I don't have to move the slide room. I just wanted to check with this esteemed group.
Ted

Let me add one caveat to not moving the slides. When I do get near the end of the season, I crawl underneath and wipe the rams with a clean, dry rag to remove any accumulated dust/dirt that may have blown up and deposited there. Keeps it from getting dragged back into the seals. Also inspect the gear tracks for any debris, too.

lorax

Thanks! I will. One more question. Should the seal be in or out when the slide room is out? I had a leak on the slide room floor and I checked the seal at the bottom of the slide room and the seal is now in while the slide room is out. Seems to me that the seal should move in and out with the slide room. The other three sides do.
Ted

JohnDar

Thanks! I will. One more question. Should the seal be in or out when the slide room is out? I had a leak on the slide room floor and I checked the seal at the bottom of the slide room and the seal is now in while the slide room is out. Seems to me that the seal should move in and out with the slide room. The other three sides do.
Ted

They should be "out." The outer seals should move in and out with the slide, but don't always fully deploy when extending. Some folks have attached pieces of automotive trim in a chevron pattern to help them flex a little more. I just go around with an awning rod I have and gently pull out any reluctant sections. I have slide toppers on all of my slides, but will get up there and make sure they're flexed out, too.

If you have gaps between the slide wall and the outer seals, you should take it back to the dealer for alignment before you get caught in a rain storm.