Our Rig

Dusty

Hi everyone,

This is our rig, a 2002 F250SD supercab with a 7.3L diesel, and of course our new Big Horn that we named the :Big'un" We love our new trailer. Hope to see some of you somewhere on the road.

Dusty & Linda

Last edited:

bpmills

just recently picked up my new 2009 Bighorn, my new Dodge 1 ton dually mega cab is in today and ready to be picked up. My question to everybody is do I really need the extra expense on the slider hitch. I thought one reason for the Bighorn was to avoid the slider hitch. Any suggestions from the Heartland group on this matter.
Thanks, Burt

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
just recently picked up my new 2009 Bighorn, my new Dodge 1 ton dually mega cab is in today and ready to be picked up. My question to everybody is do I really need the extra expense on the slider hitch. I thought one reason for the Bighorn was to avoid the slider hitch. Any suggestions from the Heartland group on this matter.
Thanks, Burt

I have a slider on mine and have never to use it, plenty of clearance. Theres a lot of other threads on this subject and everyone agrees that sliders are not needed on the short bed trucks.....Ken

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks, Burt
I'm not familiar with the box length of the mega cab. I know when I had a Chevy with the 6-1/2 foot box I had no trouble with the non slider. In fact I had a slider in it and took it out to reduce the movement in the hitch. I'm sure some Dodge owners will reply.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I have the same TV as you do and only have the Pullrite Superglide because I needed it when I was towing my Carriage Cameo LXI, so I transferred the hitch from my 2003 QuadCab to my 2006 MegaCab. I really wished I hadn't. I lose bed length from the hitch to the tailgate because I have to allow for the 14" of clearance that the slider needs. It also adds the 14" when I am backing up into my narrow driveway from a narrow street, which is not desireable.

If I had some other slider, it would not have been so bad.

My impression is to save your money and get a regular hitch. Although your best answer would be from someone who owns a MegaCab with a BH and a regular hitch.