Storm Prep

We're new to large RV's living in Connecticut - storm Sandy is forecast to bring winds at or near hurricane strength. We've covered Our Big Country and have it on a kingpin stabilizer as well as the landing legs and rear stabilizers. What other recommendations do you have to weather this storm?

danemayer

Hopefully there are no tree limbs nearby that might fall on the RV. Covers are a matter of some debate. Lots of people have had bad experience where the cover rubs against roof/finish causing damage - in normal weather. In hurricane winds, will yours rub? Hard to say.

There are trees, part of the reason we went with the cover - not much I can do about the trees living where I do. As far as the cover rubbing the roof, the air conditioner and other roof items are keepign it elevated most places, I considered putting a couple foam pool noodles up there to avoid that issue, that will have to wait till after Sandy now.

Bob Vaughn

Another concern is the wind getting under the cover from the bottom causing it to ballon up and down thus rubbing the finish off the camper.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would take about a 4 day vacation and get the Flock out of town. You are in the middle of the storm. I don't think a cover is going to help keep branches of trees from damaging your trailer, it is only cloth. If you stay there I would say you should expect damage if not a total distruction of your trailer. I am not trying to make you feel bad just trying to be honest. If it were my trailer I would hitch up and head west to be out of the reach of the storm.

I really hope you fair well and wish you good luck.

BC

rick_debbie_gallant

Even if you have little to zero deductible on your insurance to me anyway it would still be less expensive and less hassle to head maybe southwest several hundred miles. But then it is most likely too late for that. Good luck and stay safe.

porthole

Retired
Enough wind and the cover will wear out the rubber roofing where it rolls from top to sides. The AC and vents will do noting to help this.

iPhone using Tapatalk

tcfake613

We live near Lancaster in Central PA. Pretty much in the direct path as is being shown at this time. I was going to take the 3685 to the storage lot and cover it this weekend but decided against it. They are calling for 65+ MPH winds. No way the cover will survive that. Actually I'm keeping the rig in my driveway so I can run the fridge on propane. Most schools are already closed thru Tuesday. Hope this doesn't get as bad as they are saying.

Sandpirate69

Living in Florida, I know pretty well about storms. As a few have already said, go on a short vacation. Since i'm a LEO I don't have that option. Generally i'm stuck in my county keeping Thugs out of other peoples homes, who have left due to the storm. As far as the cover, well i've used it on a few occasions. I do use the pool noodles, 500 ft of rope, & 12 straps. I wrap the the RV like a mail package. I don't have trees anymore where I park my RV, so i'll probably won't use it that often.

Anyway, for those in the storms path, Good Luck & Best Wishes!

We've decided to heed the wisdom here and remove the cover. Leaving is not an option, I need to be here when schools reopen and during the storm I'm our CERT team leader and need to staff shelters.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Landmark has weathered both Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike. In both storms we had 107 mph winds in our area. The LM was parked in the driveway right next to our house so the house blocked most of the wind. I know the wind was blowing around 75 mph directly on the RV and it weathered it ok. It was uncovered with the slides in and all of the jacks down. If you can position it so the wind does not hit the full side and hits it front or back (remember the rear window) it will be less likely to roll over. IMHO the cover can do more damage on that off due to the abrasiveness of the cover blowing in the wind. Remember the wind will blow around projectiles such as rocks, limbs, lawn furniture, garbage cans and other lose items. I know you will put yours up but how about the neighbors stuff? We are 125 miles inland from Galveston and still got that kind of wind. And remember when they say the wind is 80 mph they are talking about a constant wind of 80 not gusts. Gusts can and will go much higher than that. If you think you can withstand 80 mph winds just stick you head out the car window when you are going 80 and see how it feels. I think you get the point. I have lived in and been in Hurricane prone areas most of my life and know when to leave and that is any time one is coming. Stay alive and drive drive drive away from the storm. Where should you go? I would go southwest like toward Alabama or Mississippi. And don't forget that the storm will probably can massive power outages and if you have a well and septic tank you will be out of water as your water pump won't work unless you have a backup generator. Good luck and stay safe.

PS Storms we have been through: Carla, Claudette, Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike and I know I must be forgetting one or two. Oh yeah, I can as Sandy because we are in Florida right now and got the fringes of Sandy. One other thing to think about is Hurricanes tend to generate Tornadoes so be aware.