Texas winds 1, Electric Awning 0

soilmovers

Sorry to report, our electric awning was torn off our new Bighorn 3685. We had it tied down with awning straps but it was no match for a sudden storm that came thru the middle of the night. By the time we heard the wind blowing, it was too late to bring it in. The arms bent in half and then tore the cover away from the wall. (So much for watching the 10 o'clock weather report!)

I'm wondering if the arms are too flimsy for such a large awning. The awning on our 3055 is manual crank and appears much sturdier. We leave it down all the time with tie downs. Never had a problem with storms/winds for nearly 5 years.

DH says we're getting it replaced with a manual roll up awning and not as wide. And I thought I had gone to heaven with the electric one!

Any thoughts? Or recommendations on a sturdy replacement that can be left down.

sgtbigb

I believe the same thing would happen if it was the manual version but less to replace.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Cindy,

The problem with electric Awnings as a whole is the relative distance between mounting points ( to the Rig ) and the fact that they have several points of failure where the arms articulate. Where as the Manual Awning has three points of support and are about as far away from each other as you can get ( one at the Roll, one at the top where the awning mounts, and the bottom mount about 7-8 ft away from top point) Also the structural members are solid ( or sliding and lockable ) There are Electric Models that automatically retract when it get's windy - but I have no idea how or if they really work.

When I got my Cyclone - I was pleased that it had an electric awning - but now I miss some of the flexibility of the Manual version. Not that I'm going to replace mine anytime soon!

Kevin

pegmikef

One tech years ago during a PDI was explaining the workings of the awning and he said something that I have always remembered and adhere to. Do NOT leave your awning extended at night when you are sleeping or when you leave your site for more than an hour. He said in his experience most of the awning calamities he has repaired occurred when it was unattended.

danemayer

I always pull ours in at night and when we leave the campground, and of course if the wind picks up. It's so quick and easy to extend and retract the electric awning that there's no reason not to do so.

PeternLiane

Sorry to hear about your awning. I know it can be very frustrating losing an awning. We had our manual awning with tie downs on ripped off of our SOB 2 years ago. We walked down our campsite to the other campsite about 20 yards away. A sudden gust of wind hit and the awning was gone. We learned an important lesson that day. When you leave your campsite always put the awning up even when you have tie downs on. When you're not able to stand by and keep an eye on you're awning its rolled in. Another lesson, when the awning is out the tie downs are on. It takes so little time to roll it out, put the tie downs on and roll it in. That it's not worth the extended time and expense to replace one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When we are in Texas I never leave the awning out unless I am sitting under it.
When we got this rig with the automatic awning I had mixed feelings about it. But after having it now for nearly two years I like the fact that I can roll or unroll it in a very short time with no effort to get it done.
And as a side note, I have seen more than one manual awning ripped off.

Peace
Dave

CliffP

Sorry to hear, we've also been there and done that. We won't be leaving ours out night or if we can't be right there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I really see no reason to leave an automatic awning extended during times of not actually using it because it is so easy to run in and out. This is especially true at night cause by the time you get out of bed the damage will usually be done.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
One tech years ago during a PDI was explaining the workings of the awning and he said something that I have always remembered and adhere to. Do NOT leave your awning extended at night when you are sleeping or when you leave your site for more than an hour. He said in his experience most of the awning calamities he has repaired occurred when it was unattended.
Words to live by. We follow those rules, we mostly camp on or near the coast and you never know when a good gust of wind will come up.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wonder if you could ads a second switch to it? Making it easier to operate from outside.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I wonder if you could ads a second switch to it? Making it easier to operate from outside.

Maybe they should have the one like the "Classic" Landmarks have. We have an inside and outside switch and a remote to operate the electric awning and a wind sensor that will automatically put the awning up.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Several of us have added second switches for the Awning in the basement. depending on the model of Awning it is not a major effort.

Kevin