Another TowMax problem

dalspot

Not a blowout, thankfully! Took the Sundance in today to get the TowMax tires swapped out for the Maxxis.

Found a cracked sidewall in the TowMax SPARE that has never been on the rig!

Wanted to make sure that we make Heartland aware of the issue. And everyone else.

Phatkd

I priced out the GY G614's the other day,..but haven't priced out the Maxxis. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for 5 Maxxis tires? And did you have them mounted and balanced as well?

Thanks,..Kris

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
My new wheels and tires are due on on March 7, 2013. We ordered a set of 5 each 17.5 inch wheels and my Goodyear G114's from Trailer Tires and Wheels. They will be mounted up by this weekend. Anyone want a new set of new factory aluminum wheels and tires? LOL!

Rod Ditrich

Phatkd

My new wheels and tires are due on on March 7, 2013. We ordered a set of 5 each 17.5 inch wheels and my Goodyear G114's from Trailer Tires and Wheels. They will be mounted up by this weekend. Anyone want a new set of new factory aluminum wheels and tires? LOL!

Rod Ditrich

Those are really good looking wheels Rod! I'm just trying to be cheap and stick with the stock wheels and switch out to much better rubber

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
@Kris... Discount tire quote $178 each, plus balance and tax etc. (Maxxis 8008) or Discount Tire Direct ( online) $165 each w/ free shipping and no tax.

Gary521

Under no circumstance, mount a ST tire on your trailer (regardless of the manufacturer - with exception of the G614) How many issues has anyone heard of from those that have LT tires mounted on their trailers? Is there any on this forum? If there is, I am not aware of any. Any other forum? As far as ST tires, this brand better than that brand- Hogwash!! Like playing Russian Roulette.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Maxxis is better than many LT tires out there for RV's, still I don't think a Maxxis E rated tire is the right tire for a heavy 2 axle Bighorn. If your wheels can handle 110 psi get the G614's. Maxxis are still better than the OEM junk so you may want to save a $1000 and go with Maxxis.

Phatkd

My wheels are rated to 125psi, so I want to keep them and save the cash...I had a price for G614's at around 2k for 5 G614's mounted and balanced.

gebills

I did quite a bit of research on the tire dilemma before buying a set. Found nothing bad about the Goodyear or Michelin tires. Didn't really see anything bad about the Maxxis tires for that matter. When I priced the tires out, I did find that Discount Tire and Les Schwab tires both had access to the Goodyear tires, with Discount Tire being the better price by about $250 for a set of four. I priced the Maxxis 8008's with Discount Tire in Redmond WA, and found that I can by 8 Maxxis tires for less than 4 Goodyears. I finally concluded that for the money difference, I could buy the Maxxis set now, and again in 3 to 5 years down the road, and still have spent less that the origional price for 4 Goodyear tires. I guess time will tell as to whether that was a good, or not so good move.

Got the Maxxis for around $200 a tire with tax and install/balance. They (Discount tire techs) forgot to put in metal valve stems when they installed the tires. When I inspected their work, I ask them what happened. They're all standing around scratching their heads, not knowing what went wrong. The offered to pull the tires back off and install the metal stems, but I was short on time as we were preparing to make a short 1,300 mile trip that weekend. What I found was that the TPMS sender units would not read the internal tire temp. The truck ambient temp was reading 50-degrees (or there abouts) and the monitoring sensors were also reading in the 50 degree neighborhood, nearly the same as the ambient temp. After we returned from the trip, I towed the RV back up to Redmond from the storage yard (about 30 miles) and had Discount tire install the metal valve stems. While at Discount Tire, the sales tech called me into the office and gave me a $70 credit for their having missed the metal valve stem installation the first time. At least the credit paid for the diesel fuel to tow the RV back up to Redmond.

I did take the cheap route out as far as the tires go, and purchase only the 4 tires on the axles. Based on comments I'm reading here, I better drop the brand new spare Towmax down and inspect it before my face is covered with egg. Good news though, after getting the metal valve stems installed, my tires, running down Hwy-202 to the storage yard were running between 70 to 80 degrees. Interesting........ the difference the metal stems make.......

And..... with the old TowMax tires advertised on Craigslist, a guy called and bought the 4 tires, with roughly 11,000 miles on them for $100 for his horse trailer. We're both happy...... Happy Trails.... gebills

Gary521

Maxxis is better than "any LT". What planet do you live on? This sounds like the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram debate. What I bought is better than what you bought. If you want to believe that then that is your right. You must have purchased Maxxis in the past thinking you are set. Like I stated, have you heard of any issues with LT tires on trailers? How about Have you heard any issues with ST tires on trailers? Hmmmm! My purpose here is to keep people from making the same mistake with tire issues. Maxxis "may" be better than the other ST tires but that does not make them better than another alternative. I got a recommendation on a ST brand from a commercial tire dealer that services a major trucking company in the area. These are "really great." They lasted a couple thousand miles before the sidewalls bulged and the tread wore out. Specifications are one thing but quality control and quality of manufacturing is another. I assure you, The guy down at the corner tire store is no expert. I ain't either but I have done my due diligence.

Gary521

Re: Another TowMax problem.

By the way, How many companies make quality US made LT tires? It's more than Good Year.

Gary521

Re: Another TowMax problem.

gebills my comment was not directed at you. I don't possess unlimited resources and try to get the best deal whenever possible. However, when you blow tires and rip out the side of your trailer that good deal suddenly don't look so good. I wish you luck. How many times do you have to hit your hand with a hammer and determine that it hurts.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
"(Maxxis is better than "any LT".)" What planet do you live on? This sounds like the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram debate. What I bought is better than what you bought. If you want to believe that then that is your right. You must have purchased Maxxis in the past thinking you are set. Like I stated, have you heard of any issues with LT tires on trailers? How about Have you heard any issues with ST tires on trailers? Hmmmm! My purpose here is to keep people from making the same mistake with tire issues. Maxxis "may" be better than the other ST tires but that does not make them better than another alternative. I got a recommendation on a ST brand from a commercial tire dealer that services a major trucking company in the area. These are "really great." They lasted a couple thousand miles before the sidewalls bulged and the tread wore out. Specifications are one thing but quality control and quality of manufacturing is another. I assure you, The guy down at the corner tire store is no expert. I ain't either but I have done my due diligence.

Who said that? Just you as I see. Try putting on your glasses and have another beer on me. :rolleyes:

gebills

That was my concern Gary521. With so much discussion on this forum about the TowMax, and the damages that RV owners were experiencing through tire disintergration, a guy wants to be pretty careful about the miles traveled on the TowMax tires. I finally got so spooked in early February, just prior to a short 1,300 mile trip down to N.CA, that I made the move to get the TowMax's off the BH the day before we were to pull south. About the same time, I installed the TPMS. Seems like there is no shortage of "things" to spend money on in improving a persons RV, but as I've stated in a previous thread, the thought of leaving the RV along side a freeway or interstate road, or God knows where with blown out tires and/or a damaged BH, just doesn't set well with me. A move to get the TowMax's off of the RV, is one of the first moves an RV'er should make. Happy Trails....... gebills

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have about 18k on our Maxxis tires, in about 18 months. Granted, we are not as heavy as some Big Horns, but I can say I'm obsessive about checking our tires and they still look great. We stay under 65mph towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

Maxxis is better than "any LT". What planet do you live on? This sounds like the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram debate. What I bought is better than what you bought. If you want to believe that then that is your right. You must have purchased Maxxis in the past thinking you are set. Like I stated, have you heard of any issues with LT tires on trailers? How about Have you heard any issues with ST tires on trailers? Hmmmm! My purpose here is to keep people from making the same mistake with tire issues. Maxxis "may" be better than the other ST tires but that does not make them better than another alternative. I got a recommendation on a ST brand from a commercial tire dealer that services a major trucking company in the area. These are "really great." They lasted a couple thousand miles before the sidewalls bulged and the tread wore out. Specifications are one thing but quality control and quality of manufacturing is another. I assure you, The guy down at the corner tire store is no expert. I ain't either but I have done my due diligence.
TOTALLY AGREE. What makes the guy down the street who has probably never pulled with an ST tire an expert..just because he sells them?..I will never have another STtire on a trailer..Don

Gaffer

Under no circumstance, mount a ST tire on your trailer (regardless of the manufacturer - with exception of the G614) How many issues has anyone heard of from those that have LT tires mounted on their trailers? Is there any on this forum? If there is, I am not aware of any. Any other forum? As far as ST tires, this brand better than that brand- Hogwash!! Like playing Russian Roulette.

You don't know what you are talking about. The Maxxis is a great tire. I have read about many more G614 failures on this fourm than Maxxis. In fact I don't recall seeing any posts about a Maxxix failure.