Performance Exhaust Systems

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Has anyone seen improvements in performance and/or MPG by adding a new cat-back exhaust and air-intake. I have a 2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 with a 5.4 V8. We recently purchased a 2008 North Trail 28BHS and the truck pulls it great. I think alot has to do with the trailer being so well balanced and it has very little wind resistance. The trailer is well within the towing limits but I am always looking for more power.:D

Thanks
Jamie, Ginger and Madison
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty

Deepsky3539

Changing out your exhaust and intake are imperative if you do other modifications to your truck but not required otherwise and will not noticeably increase your mileage or performance. It will sound pretty cool though. :D

JWalker

What modifications do you recommend for a gas engine that will increase performance.

Thanks
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My previous truck was a Chevy with the 8.1 engine and Allison Trans. I used an Air Aid intake system and throttle body spacer and had a Magnaflow catback system. I noticed a significant performance improvement and about 1.5 mpg improvement. The 8.1 is a great performer as a stock motor so I can't speak for the 5.4 Ford. For sure more air in and out will help but the money you spend on performance goodies will buy quite a bit of gas when compared to the improved performance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it;). Just my opinion.

Hunter11

I will follow the same thing Ray said. On my wife's 06 Dodge Hemi we added a True Flow intake, Magnaflow catback exhaust and a Superchips Flashpac programmer. Those three things woke the performance of her truck up and increased mileage 2 mpg. Although we do not tow with her truck I know if we did those mods would help it tow better. I think we spent about $800 on those three items.

Ray LeTourneau

I will follow the same thing Ray said. On my wife's 06 Dodge Hemi we added a True Flow intake, Magnaflow catback exhaust and a Superchips Flashpac programmer. Those three things woke the performance of her truck up and increased mileage 2 mpg. Although we do not tow with her truck I know if we did those mods would help it tow better. I think we spent about $800 on those three items.
I had the Superchips as well. I bought it for a 5.3 Yukon we had to pull a travel trailer with. I didn't use it on the 8.1 though because I didn't notice much difference. In addition, when using the Superchips in Performance/Tow mode they suggest using premium fuel. I didn't think 20 cents extra per gallon would account for the improved performance or mpg. Sold it to a guy in the park here last year for $50. He had a 454 Chev. I haven't seen him this year so I don't know if it helped him or not.

JWalker

I had a Jet performance chip in my last truck, an 03 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8. I did not see any performance gains, but I did see about 1.5 MPG gain.

Thanks
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty

Cooper

I replaced the exhaust system in my 06 F250 Diesel it gave me better bottom end. MPG averaged around 12 pulling my Gloden Gate.

JWalker

I have been looking on the internet at all the different companies that have aftermarket exhausts. It is crazy. I think I am going to go with a good exhaust system and an Air intake. Any recommendations?

Thanks
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty

Ray LeTourneau

I have been looking on the internet at all the different companies that have aftermarket exhausts. It is crazy. I think I am going to go with a good exhaust system and an Air intake. Any recommendations?

Thanks
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty
I just installed a "flangeback" system from MBRP. It's a 4" stainless system with a polished ss muffler and a 5" tip. $399 to my door. Bought from www.performancetruckproducts.com . I purchased this system because of a survey I read on the Duramax diesel forum regarding exhaust systems. MBRP was voted best on this forum. Easy install on my driveway. About 4 hours start to finish.