Propane Tank Problems

fyrwlker

3370RL'ers
I have a 2008 3370 that just love! We have had her out three times since picking her up in late January but ran across a problem on our last trip that I do not understand and wanted to know if anyone can help us out? here is what is going on:

We boondocked so we were using the generator, heater and the water heater on propane. The propane bottles are located on the ODS of the trailer, side by side with a crossover regulator. When the rear tank got empty and the regulator switched over to the front bottle, everything shut down. I thought I had forgotten to open the second bottle so I went to check and found the bottle open. I switched the regulator over to the front bottle but only got a red indicator. I removed all the lines, reconnected them and then was able to get a green indicator on the front bottle. We went back to using our stuff and when we started the generator, the water heater was running, it shut down once again. After trying this process two more times (duh), I switched the bottle locations (front to rear) and the same tank worked fine without another issue.

Help? What is going on here? :confused:

jpmorgan37

This issue has come up before. One thing that you can try is to turn off both propane cylinders. Disconnect both of the lines to the cylinders to release any pressure in them. Reconnect the lines to the cylinders. SLOWLY open the valves on the cylinders. Here's the problem. With the new OPD valves, if they are opened too fast with no pressure in the lines, the valves sense a leak and automatically shut down so that you get no propane flow. The pressure has to be relieved in order to reset the valves. I hope this solves your problem.

John

fyrwlker

3370RL'ers
We tried the disconnect method and it did not seem to help? I guess it's another issue for the dealer to fix? Thanks for the help!

imchud

I have a 2008 3370 that just love! We have had her out three times since picking her up in late January but ran across a problem on our last trip that I do not understand and wanted to know if anyone can help us out? here is what is going on:

We boondocked so we were using the generator, heater and the water heater on propane. The propane bottles are located on the ODS of the trailer, side by side with a crossover regulator. When the rear tank got empty and the regulator switched over to the front bottle, everything shut down. I thought I had forgotten to open the second bottle so I went to check and found the bottle open. I switched the regulator over to the front bottle but only got a red indicator. I removed all the lines, reconnected them and then was able to get a green indicator on the front bottle. We went back to using our stuff and when we started the generator, the water heater was running, it shut down once again. After trying this process two more times (duh), I switched the bottle locations (front to rear) and the same tank worked fine without another issue.

Help? What is going on here? :confused:

A quick question?? When my dealer was showing me the ropes on my 09 3385 I asked if the LP regulator switched over automatically? he said he never heard of a regulator doing that until I showed him my 6 year old fifth wheel that I traded in on the new one, which had a auto switch over... So I ask, are the ones that come with the big horns automatic? I hope, thanks,

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, the regulators are auto switching. I believe you need to manually turn the direction valve to the full tank before removing the empty tank for refill. At least that's what I do. Enjoy your new Bighorn.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
FYRWILKER, I had the same problem on my other 5er and like retired4fun said it was a bad regulator. Replaced it and everything worked fine. I would take it to the dealer and have him get you a new one.
Good luck

Bill

imchud

Tom, the regulators are auto switching. I believe you need to manually turn the direction valve to the full tank before removing the empty tank for refill. At least that's what I do. Enjoy your new Bighorn.

Thanks Ray, thats also what I was thinking, I guess I should have questioned the dealer a little harder... thanks for the reply...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the same problem twice on mine. Inside the hose that runs from the tank to the regulator is a built in shut off valve. If the propane flows too quickly that valve senses a leak and closes. What happened in mine the first time is the regulator failed. The second time the regulator failed and that hose valve stuck in the closed position. Once I replaced both the hose and the regulator it began working fine. The other thing you have to do is open the supply valve slowly as too quick a flow will shut the hose valve down. Hopefully this explains it a little.