PDA

View Full Version : RV Lock v. 3

klindgren
12-27-2015, 12:16 PM
I have version 3 of the RV Lock. I've changed the batteries in the handle but was wondering if there is/are battery (s) in the key pad. I've sent a PM to the RV Lock people but being Sunday I really don't expect an answer until sometime tomorrow. Being the impatient type I really don't want to wait.

Does any one know if the key pad has a separate battery that needs to be changed. My pad has stopped lighting up and beeping when a number is pushed. I will not lock or unlock the door even though the door unit has brand new batteries in it.

travelin2
12-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Yes there is. One of the small flat ones. A 2032 I believe. Small door on bottom of key pad held in place by 2 VERY small Phillips head screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klindgren
12-27-2015, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=travelin2;461184]Yes there is. One of the small flat ones. A 2032 I believe. Small door on bottom of key pad held in place by 2 VERY small Phillips head screws.

Thanks Lyle. I'm headed out to check on it now.

klindgren
12-27-2015, 03:59 PM
No luck. I changed the battery (correctly I think) but the key pad still doesn't work. When I took the battery holder out of the pad, the battery fell out so I'm not 100% sure which way it goes in, but i THINK I saw the negative side towards the front of the pad (numbers side) and positive towards the back (sticky side). Do you remember?

travelin2
12-27-2015, 04:58 PM
No luck. I changed the battery (correctly I think) but the key pad still doesn't work. When I took the battery holder out of the pad, the battery fell out so I'm not 100% sure which way it goes in, but i THINK I saw the negative side towards the front of the pad (numbers side) and positive towards the back (sticky side). Do you remember?

No I don't. I guess you could take it apart and check...
Here's the installation instructions. Maybe it needs to be synchronized again with the handle?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1032/2715/files/RVLock-V3.0-Install-and-Sync-Instructions.pdf?11081776989866161533

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rcnewell11
12-27-2015, 08:37 PM
My key pad is separate from the door handle and it has to be paired with it.I called them a couple months ago on different issue on keypad wasn't recognizing me hitting my numbers all the time and found out when I hit the buttons it was flexing key pad a little bit and my contacts in my battery compartment were bending away from keeping connections on battery.The tech guy said bend the contacts a little bit towards battery front and back side both.I hope this helps.Thanks Rob

TravelTiger
12-28-2015, 09:58 AM
You might just call RV Lock, they might send you or give you a good deal on a new keypad, or a good deal on the V.4, that doesn't need the separate keypad. Tell them you are on this Forum.

boatto5er
12-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Pretty sure you need to re-pair it to the lock Keith. Is the key fob working (double check for batteries installed correctly in lock).

klindgren
12-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Thanks Gus and Lyle for the suggestion on re-pairing the pad to the lock. We are on the road to Florida right now, so don't want to mess with it, but I try your suggestion tomorrow after we are all set up and settled in.

klindgren
01-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Is this forum GREAT or what??!!!! I got a phone call on New Year's Eve day from the President of RVLocks. Seems Jim Beletti had seen my post in this thread and had passed it on RVLocks. Now, I'm all fixed up. Thanks to Jim and to RVLocks for your help. Kind of tells you what kind of company RVLocks is when the head of the company will call on a holiday and get you set straight. I really like our version 3 lock so didn't want to upgrade to version 4. Now, thanks to a quality company like RVLocks, I don't have to. I will certainly recommend RVLocks to anyone.

AND of course, I don't need to recommend this forum and Jim Beletti to anyone. Anyone who is on the forum regularly know how invaluable both are. Thanks Jim. You are the best!!!

Dennyha
01-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Is this forum GREAT or what??!!!! I got a phone call on New Year's Eve day from the President of RVLocks. Seems Jim Beletti had seen my post in this thread and had passed it on RVLocks. Now, I'm all fixed up. Thanks to Jim and to RVLocks for your help. Kind of tells you what kind of company RVLocks is when the head of the company will call on a holiday and get you set straight. I really like our version 3 lock so didn't want to upgrade to version 4. Now, thanks to a quality company like RVLocks, I don't have to. I will certainly recommend RVLocks to anyone.

AND of course, I don't need to recommend this forum and Jim Beletti to anyone. Anyone who is on the forum regularly know how invaluable both are. Thanks Jim. You are the best!!!
So...what was the fix?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
01-02-2016, 10:45 PM
People like Jim B. / Dan M. and many more on here have made this forum priceless.

jbeletti
01-03-2016, 12:48 AM

Keith,

I only had to tell Cade who your alter ego is. No one wants to mess that up :)

Seriously though, RVLocks has a great product and has been a great partner with our club - thanks for giving the a chance to make things right with your lock.

klindgren
01-03-2016, 06:05 AM
So...what was the fix?

Cade sent me a replacement key pad. He says the newer version has a better membrane. Not sure about that, all I'm sure of is I'm back to not carrying my keys with me cuz I can lock and unlock the trailer from the key pad. Thanks Again RV Lock (Cade) and Jim.

Bones
02-02-2016, 12:49 PM
the RV lock V3.0 is on sale today only for 99 bucks. Does anyone know if they can match the keys from a V4 lock?

boatto5er
02-02-2016, 02:34 PM
the RV lock V3.0 is on sale today only for 99 bucks. Does anyone know if they can match the keys from a V4 lock?

They posted on Facebook that they can do it.

Bgthomas
02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
On sale where?

Bones
02-02-2016, 05:01 PM
On sale where?
You can type in "spring" at it will cost 99 for V3 only and today only

Bgthomas
02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks, but again, where? Amazon, RVLock website?

Never mind, found it. http://rvlock.myshopify.com/

Shortest Straw
02-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Nice!

Bgthomas
02-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Pulled the trigger. Point, click, ship. Thanks for the lead, Mr Bones.

travelin2
02-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Pulled the trigger. Point, click, ship. Thanks for the lead, Mr Bones.

We like ours. $99, free shipping 2015 Black Friday sales event!!!

Bones
02-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Nice!
Your welcome. I bough this one for my second door.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a sale from the groundhog since he predicted an early spring

Shortest Straw
02-02-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't even trust the local weather people much less a rodent but I took advantage and bought one anyway.

Sent using my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator

boatto5er
02-02-2016, 08:48 PM
I have the V3 and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones
02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
My projects are starting to add up for Spring time....

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
02-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Nice, you're going to love it if you don't already have it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bones
02-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Nice, you're going to love it if you don't already have it.

I have V4 on the front door but I have only been able to use it a couple times. When I saw the sale I bought the V3 one and they matched my key. I now have the doors keyed alike. Looking forward to installing it.

Bgthomas
02-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Mine arrived today. The lock motor was bound. I had to loosen the 4 case screws about half turn for it to work. What's up with that?

boatto5er
02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Mine arrived today. The lock motor was bound. I had to loosen the 4 case screws about half turn for it to work. What's up with that?
If I recall, some doors had issues with aligning with the plunger on the lock. Loosening the screws on the new lock probably allowed enough slack on the plunger to fit into the casing.

Bgthomas
02-06-2016, 12:19 AM
No, this is prior to install. I laid it on the table to test and program. Anyhow, it seems fine now.

Bgthomas
02-06-2016, 08:01 PM
It's installed with a few tweaks. I like it.

travelin2
04-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Called RVLock today. I bought and installed the 3.0 version last December after purchasing it during their Black Friday event. The lock has always worked sporadically whether using the keypad or fob.
Well last weekend at the rally it pretty much quit. It only worked after you slammed the door shut so I figured there was a loose connection or circuit.
Today I called RVLock. After finally getting my point and dissatisfaction across to the young fellow that answered, RVLock is sending me a replacement circuit board.
Hopefully that is the resolution. Will post results when I receive and install the replacement.

Bones
04-22-2016, 04:57 PM
I finally got mine to work today but I'm not exactly happy about it since it was a brand new lock

RVLockSupport
04-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Great, I am happy that we were able to get you taken care of with the new circuit board. That should replace everything that is electronics in the handle and should fix any issue that you are having. Thank you also for your patience in explaining your issue to us today, Friday's are our busiest days... Bones, if you did not get taken care of on your issue, please give us a call and ask for Dave, he will make sure you are up and running. We have experience a bit if a growth spurt and some pains that come with. We always want to make sure that our Heartland members are taken care of. Any questions, call or email us right from our website.

www.rvlock.com

Thank you and travel safe...

Called RVLock today. I bought and installed the 3.0 version last December after purchasing it during their Black Friday event. The lock has always worked sporadically whether using the keypad or fob.
Well last weekend at the rally it pretty much quit. It only worked after you slammed the door shut so I figured there was a loose connection or circuit.
Today I called RVLock. After finally getting my point and dissatisfaction across to the young fellow that answered, RVLock is sending me a replacement circuit board.
Hopefully that is the resolution. Will post results when I receive and install the replacement.

JWalker
04-22-2016, 05:30 PM
I finally got mine to work today but I'm not exactly happy about it since it was a brand new lock

First thing you need to do is remember your code.....lol. That is step #1.

Bones
04-22-2016, 05:54 PM
First thing you need to do is remember your code.....lol. That is step #1.

I think step one should be what code did I program into the key pad. :o Did I forget it again. Ha

BigJim45
04-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Installed my second RVLock on my new 2016 Big Horn and works like a charm. First one was on my 2014 Silverado and never had any problems with it. The first one stayed on that rig when I traded it in on the new one. Hope the new owners enjoy it as much as I did.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
04-22-2016, 08:07 PM
I think I'll post this on this thread too. I posted this last week on "Project LM 365" when I finished the install.

OK on to a new Project. Love this one. RV-Lock slam latches
I recently received all of my RV-Lock slam latches for my baggage and entry doors.

One heavy box containing
1- new electric locking entry door latch assembly (wanted all of my latches to be keyed the same) I found this new one to operate a lot faster than the one that I put on last year. I’m told the faster latch is to give you a longer battery life.
3- electric locking slam latch assembly for the basement doors
2- manual locking latch assembly for the basement doors. (So they all match)
4- Key fobs and 2- keys per lock that’s 8- keys
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/3b3b2d6f3711db40953fa88471a5bb7d.jpg
ALL SMILES HERE
Started the Install and the first latch was the curb side electric latch I'm putting in the front (right side) of the basement door. I center drilled out the 4 rivets and removed the old latch and installed the new one. The backing plat and latch sitting in their position lined up with the 4 holes still left a little gap on the bottom corners from the outside of the door. So I re-drilled the 4 holes back about an 1/8" to give me some adjustment. I then sanded off about an 1/8" from the edge of the backing plate with my belt sander, and installed. At the time I was thinking I was going to have to do that to all of them. But as I moved on to the next one it went wright on with no gap easy pasy. The rest of the latches all went on with no problems at all.

As you can see this picture of me drilling out the rivets is the swinging door not the first door on the curb side...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/e6e5dc8910117f0113082a5403904c8f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/4d0edae90db71dc9cb4362e00d51b9d4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/c1302f72f0922aaf3ece978d1e5dc395.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/3b4a6f3cd202c47f2663a08e0b66a534.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/f017f1ea033ac053baf3b1e499ddc78f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/0cf74ea32e1e3ec8fdb3b941027713bd.jpg

Apparently my hole in that door was cut down a bit lower than the others. <br />

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/cb7ce0c79906e1f02f2ae9af2d3ab0a6.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/a0f7695244d2f1ac1ca6877697ec7730.jpg
Now on to the striker plate. RV-Lock sends you a deeper striker plate for more security, it has a deeper pocket so the latch will set down into it deeper. In order to install the deeper striker plate, you’ll have to cut out a section of the aluminum channel under the factory plate. I used a large step drill and started 3 holes across the area and then made each one a little bigger until all 3 were as big as I could get them, then cleaned the rest out with my rotary tool. I chose not to use the deeper striker on the manual latches because I will never lock them anyway. NOTE the deeper striker plate on my swinging basement door went right in no special alterations.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/e9654ac3c7149653f742484fe2baf716.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/eb2b843f00c7c1d540750adab6da18ed.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/cfba97a4fdb5197b43438289d6c3ebc9.jpg

Talking to RV-lock about this minor adjustment he said that they make a little trim piece for that issue. He also said that they have made a backing plate with a shallower hump over the latch to address the issue Jim B. had with his. The shallower hump would be better however I’m not having any issues with that at all. Also after seeing my slotted holes on my modified backing plate he’s thinking of doing that to the new backing plates so you would have some adjust ability.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/c0d0e1d222cb769a3522eaa8e0f35f67.jpg<br />
<br />
<br />
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/5320d858529b1192d03acb256f20a925.jpg

Now with one push of a button all of my basement doors, my Gen door, and my entry door, Lock and unlock.
It’s like that felling you get every time you get to camp and push the level-up button.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/01d9c8137868b74e58eb1cc32084364e.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
04-22-2016, 08:08 PM
That was a copy and paste from my phone so I'll fix it when I get to the laptop.

JWalker
04-22-2016, 08:17 PM

The only issue we ever had with our lock has been with the Keypad. I changed the battery in the pad and it locked up. 2 quick emails and a replacement was on its way. Hope tgis fixes your issue. Once it works, it's a great system.

travelin2
05-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Update--The replacement circuit board, FINALLY, arrived today (but that's another discussion)!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/4bf03f5f02b9c6047c351b82b9822e8e.jpg
Did the swap and synced the fob and keypad. Sitting here at home it works more times than not whereas the original didn't work at all.
Jury is still out on reliability. We'll decide after the rig is bounced down our nation's great highways to the next rally.

jbeletti
05-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Update--The replacement circuit board, FINALLY, arrived today (but that's another discussion)!

Did the swap and synced the fob and keypad. Sitting here at home it works more times than not whereas the original didn't work at all.
Jury is still out on reliability. We'll decide after the rig is bounced down our nation's great highways to the next rally.

I recognize that board. I carry some of them plus other repair parts with me. I enjoy helping Heartlanders keep their RV Locks running well. Sometimes things break.

Once, I had my entrance door pinned open and a thunderstorm passed through. Oops - the water soaked RV Lock got it's main board shorted out. Changed it out in about 5 minutes after getting a replacement. I believe RV Lock coats their circuit boards now to guard against shorting out due to water contact.

mlpeloquin
05-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Purchased mine at the Goshen Rally. They were not at the rally, but gave a discount and mailed the lock and a free second key flob. Had it shipped to my cousins house. I install the lock when we got there. The lock worked sporadically, but mostly worked for almost a year. Then it stopped working. I called RV Lock and they sent me a new board ASSP without charge. It was two days later and since it would be no loss, I removed the board from the lock and inspected it. The secondary board which had the antenna wire on it had two bad solder joints. Too late to call and cancel the shipment. I now have a good backup. The lock works flawlessly, and the re-instillation of the board was easy.

JWalker
05-04-2016, 01:07 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/4bf03f5f02b9c6047c351b82b9822e8e.jpg

Knowing you, you were probably trying to modify it somehow. Trying to get your FOB to work from a mile away.....

Hopefully it works as well as ours. 4 years of good luck.

jbeletti
05-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Knowing you, you were probably trying to modify it somehow. Trying to get your FOB to work from a mile away.....

Hopefully it works as well as ours. 4 years of good luck.

Hey - you looking at my future mod book?! :)

I'll be hacking a FOB by attaching it to an Arduino Nano and adding that to my coach home automation system. Then we'll have some fun :)

jbeletti
05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Purchased mine at the Goshen Rally. They were not at the rally, but gave a discount and mailed the lock and a free second key flob. Had it shipped to my cousins house. I install the lock when we got there. The lock worked sporadically, but mostly worked for almost a year. Then it stopped working. I called RV Lock and they sent me a new board ASSP without charge. It was two days later and since it would be no loss, I removed the board from the lock and inspected it. The secondary board which had the antenna wire on it had two bad solder joints. Too late to call and cancel the shipment. I now have a good backup. The lock works flawlessly, and the re-instillation of the board was easy.

Way to "git'r done!" Nice to have the backup board too. My guess is you'll use it in the lock of a friend before you'll need it.