PDA

View Full Version : Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Bonanza53
03-10-2016, 11:19 AM
We are trying to decide if we should invest in Good Sam Roadside assistance. Has anyone out there bought in to this? We have been researching this but there are so many mixed reviews out there and we thought that we would get a more honest answer from other Heartland owners.

jimtoo
03-10-2016, 11:30 AM
HI Bonanza53,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have the Good Sam Roadside and it has been used 3=4 times.... was all good service except 1 time when they did not have service close by. Wait time was about 1.5 hours, but they did take care of it.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty
03-10-2016, 11:50 AM
We have Good Sam, but so far have never used it....knock on wood. Wait times could be when and where you have trouble. In the middle of "no where" WY could be an issue with any company you chose.

travelin2
03-10-2016, 12:12 PM
We have Good Sam, but so far have never used it....knock on wood. Wait times could be when and where you have trouble. In the middle of "no where" WY could be an issue with any company you chose.

Same with us. Anymore I think roadside assistance is a must have, rving or otherwise.
We had AAA when we only had cars and used them several times while traveling for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols
03-10-2016, 01:28 PM
We have good Sam, fortunately we have never needed while traveling. My son who is in college needed to use them a couple times for some minor things like a dead battery or flat tire and they took care of promptly.

2psnapod2
03-10-2016, 02:36 PM
We have Coach Net and have used it several times and have been fully satisfied with their service.

Nabo
03-10-2016, 03:02 PM
We have both Good Sams Roadside Assistance and Coach-Net Premier towable and can say thankfully, we haven't had to use either. But with that said - you never know when that moment is needed so we are keeping both. Used to have AAA Plus but dropped them.

kowAlski631
03-10-2016, 04:31 PM
We have had Good Sam since Oct 2012. We used it the first time in the desert in Nevada when we blew a tire. I had problems getting phone service, but they were there in an hour. We've used since and have had equally great response.

JohnDar
03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
We have it and have only needed it once. Service was prompt and courteous. It actually covers both vehicles we drive, regardless of whether or not we're towing the rig or not.

pegmikef
03-10-2016, 05:44 PM
I have had good service the two times I have used them, but I also know a couple of folks that were very dissatisfied with the service and dropped them. I think a lot depends on your physical location, the GS's rep and the proximity to service providers. I personally would not be without some type of road service. I also have Ford road service with my warranty.

danemayer
03-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I've used Good Sam Roadside Service twice.

Once where the truck popped a radiator hose loose and they brought a couple of gallons of antifreeze. The service response was pretty good but I couldn't believe the call to get service. I was on I-70 and the guy on the phone couldn't deal with that. He kept asking for the closest cross street.

The second call was for a broken suspension shackle link discovered as I backed into our storage lot. They were willing to send a service tech out and pay the travel charge. I ended up taking a different approach.

To me the most important consideration is that if your truck breaks down and has to be towed for service, you will also need to have the trailer towed separately or leave it on the side of the road.

Garypowell
03-11-2016, 11:35 AM
We have been pleased with good Sams and have used it 3 - 4 times in our 20 years traveling. One time the closest help was 3 1/2 hours away but I could see a towing operation right off the interstate we were on.

They would not not give me permission to use it only they would consider reimbursement. We used it and submitted a claim and were paid promptly.

We we had the same "where in the world are you" problem once but I realized I could get coordinates off of the GPS so that solved the problem.

mlpeloquin
03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Good Sam. Never had to use it and hope not to.

JohnD
03-11-2016, 12:15 PM
We don't have GS right now as we have two other roadside assistance programs going . . .

But when we did have it we had the chance to use it once when we ran out of gas a few miles short of the next town out in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska.

We had to wait about 1 1/2 hours on the side of the road, so we made that our lunch stop and relaxed in the trailer while we waited.

Here is a shot of us on the side of the road:

Bob&Patty
03-11-2016, 06:32 PM
SO John.....fuel gauge not working??

thebehrs
03-11-2016, 09:39 PM
We have it. Had a couple of our cars taken a body shop or mechanic. One the key got locked in. Got good fast service. No complaints.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

rxbristol
03-12-2016, 12:09 AM
We have Coach Net and have used it several times and have been fully satisfied with their service.

Coach Net all the way.

For20hunter
03-12-2016, 12:56 AM
We have Good Sam and have used it when our daughter broke down on her way to college and another time when our TPMS showed a leak in one of our tires and they brought us out a new one. So far we are happy with them

JohnD
03-12-2016, 02:12 AM
SO John.....fuel gauge not working??

Oh, the gas gauge did work (don't have that truck anymore) . . . but our guestimate of the distance to the next town was a little shy.

This was the day before the Sturgis Rally in South Dakota started, and as we passed the gas station in Chadron, Nebraska that was lined up to the hilt with bikers and RV'ers and having 3/4 of a tank of gas, I figured we could make it to the next town.

However, we were driving into a storm with strong head winds, and didn't get the gas mileage to get to the next town.

But there was a silver lining to the story . . .

By running out of gas and sitting on the side of the road, we missed out on a huge hail storm that would have given our then new 2013 Heartland Trail Runner a whole new look!

I like to think that everything happens for a reason . . .

NWILSON
03-12-2016, 05:29 AM
We haven't had to use Good Sam with the rig but there have been a couple calls over the years with the cars. Always prompt service!

I like the fact that it covers ALL vehicles I own including the motorcycle!

Bob&Patty
03-12-2016, 12:14 PM
John, when we did not have aux fuel tank...we did this. Bought a 5 gallon off road vehicle fuel plastic gas can and took it with us all the time. 5 gallons will get you somewhere.

szewczyk_john
03-12-2016, 12:29 PM
I have had reason to use my service 4 times. In all four occasions I had to wait longer than I thought it should have taken to get help. The first time I was on I-80 and after waiting for 1.5 hour they called back and stated that they were still looking for a provider. Another half hour went by and she says that I need to call the state police as no one was willing to come get me. I called the state police and with 25 minutes 2 trucks show up, a flat bed for the two vehicle and a 5 ton welding truck for the trailer. The operator tells me that he got a call from GS 1.5 hours ago asking him to go get my truck and trailer for some insanely low fee, he refused and then when the state police called he should right up. What I learned was, all the roadside assistance do, is call around and offer the job for very little money. If they local operators have nothing going on, they might take the job and put your tow/emergency on their list. If not they simply say no. I got both units off the road and the operator fixed my truck the next day and everything was ok. I had to pay him and then submit for reimbursement which came months later.

I will continue to have the coverage for the piece of mind, but I realize that if I am sitting too long, you can also call the service back and tell them that a police officer is forcing a tow under police order and a reimbursement will be sought. Also keep in mind that many insurance companies include towing with your insurance and you can also submit for reimbursement from them also. I mentioned the towing to my State Farm agent and he got me an allowance, not the whole bill, but it was something on top of what I was reimbursed.

beasleyrl
03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
We have had both Good Sam and Coach Net. Unfortunately, we seem to have to use it 1-2 times per year due to leaf spring failure on our prior Cyclone. Our experience has been much better with Coach Net. It seems like Good Sam takes an excessive amount of time to identify a service provider and when they do, they can come from long distances. Coach Net seems to move quicker and the service providers don't seem to complain about how little they are getting paid. From our experience, I won't go anyplace with our rig and not have it... In fact, just renewed Coach Net last week.

Bohemian
03-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Aren't Good Sam and Camping World parts of tge same company?

mlpeloquin
03-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Yes Good Sam merged with Camping World I think a year or two ago.

JohnD
03-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Yes Good Sam merged with Camping World I think a year or two ago.

I think it was much longer ago than that . . .

jmgratz
03-13-2016, 08:55 AM
I have had Good Sam towing for a number of years now and have had to call them several times with mixed success. The last time I called them they refused to come to my assistance saying my RV was in a safe location (it was at a Ford dealer while the truck was in the shop). I wrote up a negative review on their site and they gave us 1 year free which is currently in affect. One time they took so long I changed the tire myself. Two other times the service that showed up did not have a jack that would work and they had to use my jack. I would recommend having a service but still cannot recommend Good Sam ERS. I have heard much good about Coach Net.

Bohemian
03-13-2016, 09:07 AM
I was about 1 hour from Harrisburg, PA. Called GS road service. After about 3 hours of calls back and forth they informed me they had no service providers in the area and could not/would not help me.

REALLY?

beasleyrl
03-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Aren't Good Sam and Camping World parts of tge same company?Yes - since the late 90's. Look up Affinity Group (now operating under Good Sam Enterprises I believe because Affinity had some issues around 2010).

sjs731
03-15-2016, 11:36 AM
I had Good Sam. Had one good experience and two not so good. The latest was last year. I had a wheel bearing go out to the point I took the wheel off without removing the castle nut. Luckily got stopped before the wheel flew into oncoming traffic. Anyway it was a Sunday and I was on a 2 lane highway. Called them and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was a Sunday. Luckily a resident near by saw what happened and I limped the rig into his yard. Good Sam called me back and said the local RV dealership could come and get it the next day. Until I said I wouldn't be there. I had to be there. The homeowner being home wasn't good enough. They wouldn't even have the dealership call me to get a CC # for payment. Needless to say I hung up on the guy. The homeowner helping me was nice enough to let me leave the rig in his driveway for as long as I needed. I called the local RV dealer the next day and they went and got it and fixed it. I repaid the homeowner with a nice gift card for a local establishment and let my Good Sam Roadside expire.

Steve

Bgthomas
03-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Another vote for CoachNet. I've used it twice for the TV only with nothing but praise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD
03-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Anyway it was a Sunday and I was on a 2 lane highway. Called them and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was a Sunday.

It was a Sunday afternoon during the first weekend in August when we ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska (story in my post above).

Took them an hour and a half to get there, but at least we didn't have to walk!

I was just happy that we had cell service out there . . .

I'm thinking about digging out one of my old CB radios for those times when the cell just won't cut the cheeze . . .

wehavefun
03-16-2016, 02:44 AM
Every call will be handled differently due to the fact that all towers are private contractors. Some auto clubs like AAA have their own fleets, but only a a very few select areas. The service provided is usally thru contracted rates, unless there are no providers in the area, then the "clubs" will start shopping via phone for anyone that will take the call. Unfortunately you have some people that aren't familiar with larger units like RV s trying to help without the correct resources. Other times it's just some service guy trying to make any money he can. I was a service provider for many years, towing, repair and body shop, not many towers have the ability, knowledge or experience to fix or repair RV s the ones that do, seldom have the parts. I have Good Sam and AAA both have their good points, AAA will only help with the disabled vehicle, but many times they don't have the equipment or knowledge to handle a fifth wheel or large motorhome. Again the service you receive all depends on the service contractor in the area your stranded and the information given to that service contractor. Many times if you can get a direct phone number for the service provider and explain your situation in a clear and direct manner it will help you get the correct response and equipment.

2psnapod2
03-16-2016, 07:48 AM
But if you ready most of the GS issues, they pertain to GS even before the Tow even I'd notified. Never had this issue with CN.

Charlie263
03-24-2016, 08:58 PM
We ran over a nail and heard the hissing as we were pulling into our campsite on the way to the smokies. Called good Sam and they had them come out first thing next morning. We're a little late, but no biggie. Oh and one other thing, they said they were going to text me the name of the repair co, but never did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif
03-25-2016, 09:12 AM
It was a Sunday afternoon during the first weekend in August when we ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska (story in my post above).

Took them an hour and a half to get there, but at least we didn't have to walk!

I was just happy that we had cell service out there . . .

I'm thinking about digging out one of my old CB radios for those times when the cell just won't cut the cheeze . . .

That's why I
1. carry a 5 gal can of diesel in the truck,
2. Most importantly watch the gauge.

Ducking and running, smile John.

wdk450
03-25-2016, 09:30 AM
John:
Have you ever thought about a 2 meter "Ham" walkie talkie? There is a system of 2 meter repeater/boosters throughout the U.S. Another ham listening to the repeater can get your message on the phone system. The 5 watts of an 2M handheld is about 1000 times the power of a cellphone. When I was working in Sacramento, I used to walk outside with my 5Watt 2M handheld and bring up a repeater on Mt. Rose Nevada, 110 air miles away (and 10,000 feet up).
The test fee is nominal, study guides for test questions are easily available, the is no morse code requirement, and the short test is easy common sense mainly about not interfering with other RF services. A new 2M handheld can be bought for about $100.
CB is limited to about 5 miles range (normally and with legal equipment).

JohnD
03-25-2016, 10:24 AM
That's why I
1. carry a 5 gal can of diesel in the truck,
2. Most importantly watch the gauge.

Ducking and running, smile John.

I fixed the problem by getting a bigger gas tank . . . in my new truck!

avvidclif
03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Don't help if you don't watch the gauge. Kinda like 4-wheel drive. Lets you get stuck deeper and further out than 2 wheel. GRIN

boatto5er
03-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Don't help if you don't watch the gauge. Kinda like 4-wheel drive. Lets you get stuck deeper and further out than 2 wheel. GRIN

Been there, done that!

bsuds
04-27-2016, 08:35 AM
One of our Good Sam group members broke down on the first camp out 2 days ago. It was 5 pm and he was told by GS roadside assistance the it was too late in the day to get someone out to tow his trailer and to stay in it for the night and call back the next day! 24/7 assistance doesn't mean diddly squat I guess.
Luckily he also has BCAA coverage and they we out in less than an hour and towed his truck to a dealer and his 5th wheel home. Now that's service.
I for one won't be renewing my Good Sam insurance when it comes due if that's the service they provide.

rhodies1
04-27-2016, 09:11 AM
We are trying to decide if we should invest in Good Sam Roadside assistance. Has anyone out there bought in to this? We have been researching this but there are so many mixed reviews out there and we thought that we would get a more honest answer from other Heartland owners.

Good morning, thought I would pass on an experience that happened to me a week ago,I must say I was very I pressed with Good Sam.
I live in Nova Scotia Canada and have has GS for 9 yrs, never used but as stated ,last week my battery went dead, contacted GS and had a very nice operator, she took details and the first thing I mentioned was that I was calling from Canada.She advised that it didn't matter, took details and advised that tow company was on the way and should be to me within a half hour, 10 minutes later truck arrived and on my way.
30 mins later received automated call asking details if problem was fixed, how long it took and how the experience went...
Hopefully if I need them in the future it will be the same,I travel for approx. 6 months with my rv, for me, definetly worth the cost.