Problem with Dometic refrig

My wife and I are proud owners of a ‘09 3600RE Big Horn 5er and we have simply been having a great time in it. I have been surfing this message board over the pass few weeks and have been able to learn more about our “Coach”. We kind of like that term. Well we have our first problem, or actually I would rather say challenge.

We have been spending a lot of time in our coach and I guess opening the Dometic refrigerator more often. We have been noticing the refrigerator door was not locking because the side “catch” on the door didn’t need to be compressed to open it. Today I noticed the Check light is on and I can also hear what appears to be the compressor running more often. With the door not locking I am convinced that it is not sealing off.
<O:p
I believe the little metal “contactor” inside the refrigerator door opening may be out of adjustment. I understand this is probably a warranty item and the dealer would be more than happy to fix it but I would rather try myself especially if a simple adjustment is all that is needed. Plus, at the moment I don’t even have a truck to tow it with.
<O:p
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Forrest Fetherolf

Clay,

The "compressor motor" you speak of is nothing more than the cooling fan motors located behind the refrigerator and inside the two outside removable vent covers. A thermostat activates the cooling fans in extreme hot weather providing air flow over the refrigerator cooling coils.
The door latch if not broken should be a simple adjustment. The cooling fans and door not latching are two separate issues.

Forrest

Forrest, Thanks for the reply.
To get the door to latch do I simply pry the little metal “contactor” inside the refrigerator door opening out at more of an angle where it will make contact with the door locking device?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Clay, yes to bending it "IF" it is not held in place with screws. Just so you know, its called a "STRIKER PLATE" and the part on the Door is called a "Latch". Just dont get too strong with it, just tweak a little at a time. Bob:D:D:eek:

Bob & Patty,

Thanks for the advice. Just tweak a little at a time. I got it. I was planning on using a small straight screw driver to "tweak" it.
I have read several of your post and replys on this board. You provide some good advice to folks and its helped newbee's like me. Thanks.