Ladder install on ElkRidge e292

Hey y'all, just curious if anyone can tell me if there are install back plates for ladders on the ElkRidge e292, and if so, what is the location of them? Any help will be greatly appreciated by this old Sailor!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey y'all, just curious if anyone can tell me if there are install back plates for ladders on the ElkRidge e292, and if so, what is the location of them? Any help will be greatly appreciated by this old Sailor!

I think you'll find that most people think the ladders are more for show (or for attaching your stepladder, lawn chairs or Heartland Owner's Club plaque to) and are often not strong enough to handle the weight of most of us.

Interesting, I used the ladder on the rear of our Keystone Copper Canyon all the time, never an issue. I reckon we may have to get an extension ladder of some sort. Ugh...

danemayer

I'm not certain, but I'd assume if there's no ladder, there's probably no backing plate on the roof. To make sure, you could call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Use the ladder on our ElkRidge all the time. Worth it's weight in gold. Use it twice every trip. Ours is sturdy. Also holds out flagpole. Added bonus!!

Another reason I want the ladder is my stepdaughter gave me a real nice flag pole set up for the ladder. Gotta have Ol' Glory flying!

sengli

If there isnt a ladder from the factory, you can bet there isnt any structure(internal plywood plates) to screw that ladder to. These coaches are built very light, so adding a ladder where isnt one, would be really tough, because there isnt anything to screw to. My has a ladder ,but I dont trust it to support my 240lb weight. I support the bottom rung from the bottom with a car jack, and use a fold able extension to actually climb on when going on the roof.

Heartland sent me a drawing, although it is misleading. It shows the ladder backer plates, yet in the revision descriotion it states the are removed. I checked my TT as per the drawing, seems lime it has ladder backer plates installed.

Attachments

• FSS-10099F-Sheet 3.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160729144410850.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 26

Mimi77

Hi. I am a new owner of an Elkridge 298 and actually haven't taken possession yet but an independent inspector told me I should have a ladder installed. I'm thinking as a 65 year old woman I'm not crazy about the idea of crawling around on top of that trailer. I think I can get a collapsible ladder to clean off the top of my slide outs. A 10 foot?? Can someone tell me if they can recommend a good one that is tall enough to clean those slide outs without standing on the top 3 rungs. Thanks. Also any advice on the best tires would be greatly appreciated.

JohnD

Hi. I am a new owner of an Elkridge 298 and actually haven't taken possession yet but an independent inspector told me I should have a ladder installed. I'm thinking as a 65 year old woman I'm not crazy about the idea of crawling around on top of that trailer. I think I can get a collapsible ladder to clean off the top of my slide outs. A 10 foot?? Can someone tell me if they can recommend a good one that is tall enough to clean those slide outs without standing on the top 3 rungs. Thanks. Also any advice on the best tires would be greatly appreciated.

We have a Heartland Prowler P292 (same floor plan as yours) and am looking for new tires as well.

Ours has 15" tires, and have been trying to finds some load range 'E' tires in that size and haven't found any yet.

The Maxxis tires seem to be the best ST tires out there right now . . . maybe we'll get some answers here on that!

As for the ladder, good call on getting a portable ladder . . . much more versatile.

I carry an 8-foot ladder in the back of the truck when towing.

MP_CS

We have a Heartland Prowler P292 (same floor plan as yours) and am looking for new tires as well.

Ours has 15" tires, and have been trying to finds some load range 'E' tires in that size and haven't found any yet.

The Maxxis tires seem to be the best ST tires out there right now . . . maybe we'll get some answers here on that!

As for the ladder, good call on getting a portable ladder . . . much more versatile.

I carry an 8-foot ladder in the back of the truck when towing.

I've looked into switching to the E rated tires and i to cant find a single one in any size that would work for my 15" sundance. I'm just planning on getting the mxxis next spring when my fiver comes out of storage.

JohnD

I've looked into switching to the E rated tires and i to cant find a single one in any size that would work for my 15" sundance. I'm just planning on getting the mxxis next spring when my fiver comes out of storage.

In the photo in your sig line it looks like you trailer is towing high in the front.

We just discovered while at the National Rally in Vegas that our rear axle is flat (lost it's camber) and also found out that our trailer is 4 1/2 inches higher in the front than the back when attached to the truck, which is looking to be the cause of this.

Of course, it was suggested that we overloaded the Prowler . . . which we didn't . . . we've been down this road before.

It has ruined two of our tires (which is why we are looking for new ones) and will probably be replacing the rear axle sometime in the next two months if it can't be bent back into shape.

I would like to go with 16" tires, but having to buy five new wheels is not in the budget right now.

Here is a shot of our Prowler just after we got home from Vegas in the Kohl's parking lot around the corner from our house where I measured the front and back corners of the trailer for the distance to the ground.

ProwlerMeasure-P1020514.jpg

It doesn't look all that high in the front, but apparently enough to damage that rear axle.

MP_CS

In the photo in your sig line it looks like you trailer is towing high in the front.

We just discovered while at the National Rally in Vegas that our rear axle is flat (lost it's camber) and also found out that our trailer is 4 1/2 inches higher in the front than the back when attached to the truck, which is looking to be the cause of this.

That pic was taken the day we brought it home and although it looks unlevel it is actually only high by about 2" according to a two foot level place on the floor just inside the door. My tires are actually wearing completely even there just tow maxers so i want them replaced before next years season. Im a little concerned on what i will do i am currently looking at a differant truck and the bed is a good two inches higher than my current truck. Lowering the hitche I'm afraid is going to lower the trailer enough i would likely hit bedrails. Does anyone know if its possible to raise the camper? The axles are already on the bottom of the tubes.