Paint flaking off rub rail

Resiemon

Has anyone seen this before. The paint started flaking off in big strip s the first month in August 2015. 3875 FB. Otherwise it has been a great rig. The top rails are nearly stripped clean on both sides. The painter was not concerned.
ff596f25f0b14a116abdad98e2f18378.jpg

RE Siemon

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no expert but I believe that it would be nearly impossible to make paint stick to that type of plastic.
If I were you I would replace that white strip with a black strip or a new unpainted white strip.
Either color would be less obvious than the pealing strip on there right now

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are two widths of that vinyl insert, 3/4" and 1", so make sure to get the right one. It's not very expensive or difficult to install. Can't believe they painted over white rather than using a molded in color product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aandaar

I am having the same problem on my 2016. Not as bad as yours yet but it will get their.

Does anyone have a link to the colored stuff. Finding the white but I want to find a close match.

Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I know black and white are available. Bought the 1"white for my rig and some 1"black for our FD USAR trailer trim.

wildwolfproducts

Our 2012 full body paint trim paint is holding up great. But it will not say in the tracks around the front section.:mad: Would love to get my hands on the fools that install that stuff. Rather then stuff extra in while installing it. They stretch it, then when the weather changes it pulled out. You would think Heartland would have this stuff made in the colors they need. Rather then painting over a dark color or white colors. If we buy a new unit again. I will make sure the trim is not tight. If it is they will replace it or I will walk. Always tried to not be that person that finds everything that can be wrong. But from now own. I'm going over anything with a fine tooth comb.
Pete

John T Bettencourt

The problem is the strip was not prep properly. There is an additive that goes in the paint to make it stick to the vinal parts, just like the paint sticking on your bumpers on your car.

Aandaar

Camping World online sells the following colors:

White
Beige
Colonial White
Brown
Black

About $9 for a 25ft roll of the 1 inch wide stuff

Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie