Can you hear me?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There's a phone scam going around where the caller asks that question. If you answer "Yes," they can record and use your voice to authorize purchases. Got such a call yesterday. When I picked up the phone (it was a local number), there was dead air until I "commanded" SPEAK! A guy stammered he was with some security company and then asked the magic question. My answer was to hit the Blacklist button on my Caller ID box after hanging up without saying a word. Scumbags are everywhere.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, can't get away from those scams. The call block is pretty much useless as they know how to avoid using the same number to show up on caller ID.
I once had a call from a scammer and the number on my caller ID was my number. How'd they do that? Only they know.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And then there are the incessant calls peddling Medicare supplements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

The "can you hear me" caller here is female and she comes on saying "Oh, Oh, sorry I dropped my headset" laughing and then says" can you hear me ok?". The call is a recording but is done well so that you really do not get that feeling but if you try saying anything she goes on with the recorded script that is something about how you have been one of the regular customers etc etc. It has been going for a time here and has been on the local news warning people to hang up. The object, as mentioned above it to get your recorded "yes" and then later getting your personal info.

Because of the large number of older people living and "snow birding" here we have a fair number of scams, some successful. One person just gave two members of the "Williamson gang" about $10,000 for roof repair but someone followed them, got the license number and they ended up in jail.

avvidclif

What does this do except hurt your own ears? Why answer calls from numbers you don't recognize or expect? :confused:

Short answer, I have a business phone and never know where calls are coming from. As a side note until I listed our phones on the National do not call list we got very few junk calls. Now they are daily. So much for the govt....

RoadJunkie

Short answer, I have a business phone and never know where calls are coming from. As a side note until I listed our phones on the National do not call list we got very few junk calls. Now they are daily. So much for the govt....

Of course. Being retired I forget all that business stuff. No other choice but to answer, I suppose.

Todster

I too have a shared business and home phone. I have noticed since December/January this has been 100% worse then ever before. Not sure what has changed, but I never did sign up with the list and now this is daily.

I'm even cautious about giving out this number when people ask a second time. I tell them I will call you if there's a problem. You don't need to call me. Or the second option. Here's my number 800-555-5555.

Very frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often times, a whistle or small air horn is useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran across a website yesterday that could be helpful called www.jollyrogertelco.com. For $6 a year, you can sign up for their site and when you get a scam call, conference them into a 'pirate' at this address. They give full explanation on how it's done and it looks interesting. I'm still investigating it but could be entertaining. Also, check out this youtube video that give a better explanation of the service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVKgwKhhUag&t=1s.

Roger