Can my RAM Hemi safely be used to tow this Sundance XLT?

lawguy1

Hello,
We are looking to purchase our first 5th Wheel and really like the Sundance XLT 287RL. I have read everything I can find in the Forum and factory info. But still dont want to make a mistake. I will be pulling with a 06 dodge ram Quad cab 5.7 Hemi with 3.55 ratio (it does have a tow/haul switch on the gear lever). Rating says 8800 tow rating and payload 1500 lbs. The trailer above has a dry weight of 6500 lbs and 1180 hitch weight.
Will we be ok ? Question 2, is there other things I can do make it a easier pull? (other than buying a new truck:(). I have heard air bags assist with towing capacity. Thanks for any an all information we look forward to our new travels:)
Mark and Dina

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, you will more than likely be very close if not over the rated capacity of your truck. You also have to include the weight of passengers, fuel, 5th wheel hitch and other cargo in the truck as well as the weight of the extra stuff you load in the trailer. You will probably be able to pull it just fine but the other often, not considered factor is stopping all that weight. Air bags do not increase the capacity of the truck but they will help level it and make the ride better. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear but it's just my thoughts. Put all the numbers together and see how they add up. You may be just fine.

erond

I will be pulling with a 06 dodge ram Quad cab 5.7 Hemi with 3.55 ratio (it does have a tow/haul switch on the gear lever). Rating says 8800 tow rating and payload 1500 lbs. The trailer above has a dry weight of 6500 lbs and 1180 hitch weight.
Will we be ok ?

Double check your weight ratings. The chart I have shows 7,500lbs with the 3.55 gears. I also found out that payload with passengers + dogs + gear + topper was actually much higher than I expected it to be. I ended up getting a Ram 2500 (same engine, but suspension/payload capacity was much higher). When I weighed the trailer, I also found myself about 700lbs heavier than "dry", even though my tanks were empty.

erond

As an additional note, the same chart I have (from Dodge) shows 13,000lbs GCWR. The weight of my '07 Ram 1500 was about 6,200lbs with me in it. Note that this is the 2008 chart, but 2006-2008 should be nearly the same if not identical.

It sounds like you are going to be really close to or over factory-specified limits. I've heard of and seen a lot of people that exceed those limits and "haven't had any problems {yet}", but I'd also rather not become a statistic along with my family, which is why I traded my truck rather than "well, it's not too far over...".

sJv

My dad has a lighter Komfort 22' 5th wheel that he pulls with his 2002 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 (5.9l V8). It's a stretch and he doesn't enjoy it. He is looking for a used 3/4 ton diesel. I personally wouldn't pull the XLT with a 1/2 ton unless you are only pulling it on flat lands.

-steve