Brake circuit breaker

slaytop

My Prodigy installation instructions suggest having a 20 or 30Amp self-setting circuit breaker installed in the power line going to the controller. Since my 2005 2500HD 6.6L diesel crew-cab has a harness for the controller, I'm not sure where to place a circuit breaker. I know that the controller is connected to a 40 Amp fuse in the underhood fuse box.

As an added note, I had a TT which developed a short in the brake wire from abrasion within a tubular axle where the wires were routed from one side to the other. The circuit breaker gave some limited braking until it shut off and then it would reset and go through the same cycle again. When a fuse blows, there is no chance for any braking afterwards.

Do any of you have a suggestion where to locate the breaker?

Thanks

phranc

Perhaps under the dash in the Adaptor harness that mates the prodigy with the truck harness . It would be easy benchwork then..
Or if theres room , replace the 40 amp fuse with a same style plug in circuit breaker.

slaytop

Phranc,
Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find a breaker that fit the BP/FMX-40 fuse. I was able to take the top off the underhood fuse box after removing a small brace located near the box. The fused stud that powers the brake controller became clearly visible. I cut the red wire fastened to the stud and installed a 30 amp breaker in the circuit. The breaker is screwed to the firewall nearby. Although the current flows through the fuse first, my assumption is that the breaker will trip before the 40 Amp fuse blows.

If that is a wrong assumption please tell me.