New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Moving fast .. keep the pictures comming.

Yes Sir. Time is money and the faster it gets on the road the faster it starts earning it's keep

Todays progress.

Got the cab interior stripped, cut out and the sleeper in place. Had to drop the battery box, will have to lower it this weekend. We moved the drivers side fuel tank forward because of concern of clearance but it's fine so it can be put back where it was. Used part of the frame that will be cut off and discarded for L brackets to mount the rear of the sleeper. Overall went fairly smooth today.

Used Rubatex pipe insulation to make a custom boot between the cab and sleeper. We used contact cement to hold it in place so it can be crushed between the sleeper and cab.

IMG00382.jpg

IMG00385.jpg

IMG00388.jpg

IMG00389.jpg

IMG00391.jpg

IMG00394.jpg

IMG00396.jpg

IMG00397.jpg

IMG00399.jpg

IMG00401.jpg

Last edited:

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
You're having more fun that one man should be allowed to have! I look forward to the updates and to seeing the finished truck.

pmmjarrett

You're having more fun that one man should be allowed to have! I look forward to the updates and to seeing the finished truck.

POWERTOOLS ARR ARR ARR!!! Didn't know you could have too much fun.;)

With myself and my freind having probably a combined 50+ years in mechanical, autobody and metal trades I'll just say we don't have a shortage of tools and equipment in the shop.

That Dewalt 7" grinder he's using in the pic with a 7" cutting wheel is just plain scary nasty, ripped through 15 linear inches of 1/4" thick structural steel frame like butter...... and he wasn't even using the good Norton cutting discs for that cut.

pmmjarrett

Todays progress.
Moved the fuel tank back into place, put the bracket back on to limit forward movement and tightened the straps back up. Had to lower the battery box 2" and bolted everything back together. Still have plenty of ground clearance.
Not much else done except taking careful measurements to calculate the stretch. Wheelbase is getting a 118" stretch bringing it to a 295" wheelbase. This puts 60% of the 26' body forward of the rear axle (roughly 15.5') and 10.5' behind the center of the rear axle.
IMG00402.jpg

IMG00405.jpg

IMG00407.jpg

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I really enjoy watching your project progress. Thanks for keeping us updated and supplying pictures. Everything looks great. I am envious of your expertise and how fast you are doing this. Better than watching Chip Foose or Orange County Choppers. Maybe they should start a reality show for fellas like you that do this to make a living.

Mark

pmmjarrett

I really enjoy watching your project progress. Thanks for keeping us updated and supplying pictures. Everything looks great. I am envious of your expertise and how fast you are doing this. Better than watching Chip Foose or Orange County Choppers. Maybe they should start a reality show for fellas like you that do this to make a living.

Mark

Thank you. It's my pleasure. Think this is fast ya should have seen me 20 years ago. It takes me 2 days to do what used to take me 2 hours LOL.

They can call the show "Redneck Survival 101" LOL. Don't need a reality show, I'm sure I'm breaking some law as it is and don't need OSHA, Fire department or the EPA checking out my operation.... Hmmmm let's see.... Gantry built from 2x4s a 2x10 and some 3" drywall screws...buddy standing on roof of shop putting the chain hoists in place (before I could get the ladder out he climbed the gantry like a monkey, and he's 50 years old).... caught grass on fire several times welding..... painted sleeper outside because I don't have a way to move something that size inside.... should say opening because it doesn't even have a door...... Yep, breaking something for sure.

Thinking about how the truck looked when I pulled the tail out of the shop today, I see where It might help somebody here that has the ability to do this and that's tight on cash or simply doesn't want to spend the bucks on a crew cab sport chassis to tote that big toyhauler they only move or use occasionally. There are tons of cheap day cabs out there. I wouldn't use anything heavier duty than what I have. A class 4 or 5 is plenty. Mine is a class 6 but still basicly just an overgrown pickup.

The truck is just about to the point where just adding a fifth wheel, air ride, rear fenders and finishing the interior would make a good medium duty toter for under $7k......I have a whopping $4k into the project now as it sits.

If I was going to use that to carry the family I'd use a Peterbilt 63" unibilt stand up sleeper, (see them sell on ebay for about $500), take out the bunk and put in an RV jack knife sofa and seatbelts in it. Wanna get carried away for a few more $$ add a fridge, microwave, TV, DVD, playstation so the romper room stays quiet........ Until they fight over what game or movie they are playing.

pmmjarrett

No updates for a week or so. Taking a "quick" trip to Grande Prairie Alberta w/ a 40' toyhauler. Be back home the middle to end of next week. In ND right now, will cross the boder in the AM

nhunter

You might want to bring your woolies, starting to get cold the last few days and calling for some light snow tommorrow. At least you can get diesel again though. Still costs too much though.

pmmjarrett

It'll be a quick trip. Trying to get home by the 11th but definatly before the 14th when my daughter has her tonsils taken out.

Been keeping a close eye on the weather and already have my woolies on.

I'm in Kenmare, ND 50 miles from the border and 960 miles from my destination checking weather and such. Also topping up my tanks right now. Crossing w/ 125 gallons so I will only need about 20 gallons max in Canadian fuel to get back to the states.

pmmjarrett

Jumping is much safer than driving. Too many Loonie toons out there. Poly pro is old hat, now they have these cool black ninja suits....... Unfortunatly I didn't get them as I deployed to Iraq 2 months ahead of my unit on the torch party ahead of the advance party and before they issued them.:mad:

Home now, going to work on the sleeper some tomorrow, Thursday - Saturday weather ain't looking good, Friday is the kids surgery so that's out but next week from sun - thurs looks perfect for the stretch to 38' long .

Picked up 10# of Lincoln E7018 1/8" today, I like Lincoln rod, burns nice and smooth, great flux, low splatter. Will get this rod baked in the oven at 500 - 600F for an hour or 2 so it's good and dry and bring out the old toaster oven for a holding oven and keep it at 150 - 200F, taking no chances with weld defects because of being sloppy about something I know better than to skip. Good dry rod is also 1000% easier to weld with than rod that's been left in an opened box in your toolbox or workbench soaking up moisture from the air.

Seats are way too tall, no surprise there. Going to call a couple places tomorrow for a quote on the bases. National Seating makes both 3" air ride and 2" fixed bases for the OBS (Old Body Style) cabs, as well as about any Domestic late model pickup.

Wanted the seats more for the armrests, quality and comfort more than for the air ride. Fabric holds up well over hundreds of thousands of miles too.

On closer inspection the Talladega LSO drivers seat (option on Pete's since 2001) is Bostrom and the Standard Pete seat is a National.

Another issue with air ride seats is I'll have to modify the seatbelts. Air ride seats are tethered to the floor and the seatbelts are bolted where the tethers bolt onto the seat. No biggie and the seat belt tethers are fairly inexpensive. The 3 point assemblies are the same style and mounting as used by Ford so no change needed there, just bolt them to the seat where they normally bolt to the floor, bolt tethers to the seat and bolt other end to floor, done, seatbelt mod takes longer to get out tools than to perform.

pmmjarrett

Called on the seat bases for the F series cabs. $260 for air ride and $99 for a standard base. Think I'm going to make my own air ride low profile base for less than $10
Here are the seats.
IMG00412.jpg

IMG00413.jpg

IMG00414.jpg

pmmjarrett

Back on the job doing preparations for the frame stretch.

I've been drawing plans and speaking with another tow haul driver and decided to go with a 65%/35% bed ratio to the center of the rear axle which is a 133" frame stretch giving me a wheelbase of 310".

Before moving the new frame section in the shop, I took a few measurements out of curiosity and found the rear section of the frame that still has virgin factory cuts is the exact length I need to the center of the rear axle and will be able to use it without cutting there and still be able to bolt up the rear spring hangers without drilling holes. That's why you see it in the pics with the tail light end out of the shop. This also allows me the overhang I need without adding another butt splice on tail end making for a stronger beavertail.

I cut the ends of the trucks frame where needed to get rid of bad sections where somebody got a little too happy with a torch when they removed the last body before selling it too me.

Also had time to remove a section of the double frame reinforcement. I will not need a double reinforced frame for the light work I do. Will use the metal removed here to make the fish plates to strengthen the splice where the 2 frames are joined.

I am going to give a big kudo to Harbor Freight 4-1/2" cut off wheels. I opened a fresh 10 pack of them today, figured I'd use up at least 15-20 today...... Used only 4 to make two 15" cuts and two 12" cuts through 1/4" 50,000 psi structural steel. That's 54 linear inches of 1/4" steel with 4 discs on my electric grinder...... wonder what I'll need the other 3-4 packs of discs I have left in the drawer

IMG00446.jpg

IMG00447.jpg

IMG00450.jpg

IMG00451.jpg

IMG00459.jpg

IMG00460.jpg

IMG00464.jpg

IMG00465.jpg

IMG00466.jpg

IMG00467.jpg

pmmjarrett

Sweet cut off job! Wow looks like a plasma cutter did it!

Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Thanks, wish I had plasma but plasma is even too crude for this part of the job. Cuts will have to be cleaned up within a few thousands of an inch tomorrow when we butt it up or it'll be dogtracking bad.