PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Yellow Jacket central vac fire



Harley1993rider
06-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Does anyone have a Eureka Yellow Jacket Central vacuum that caused fire?�� Ours shorted out causing a fire and burnt our wiring harness. (2011 Big Country fifth wheel) I was standing by the camper when I heard it then there was smoke and then flames shooting from the vent beside the vacuum. Two fire extinguishers were used to get fire out.

64224642256422664226

cookie
06-02-2020, 09:48 PM
I have never heard of that happening.
What wiring harness got burned?
Good you got the fire out before more serious damage or injury.

Peace
Dave

danemayer
06-03-2020, 04:39 AM
I'm also curious about the wiring harness. As I recall, my Yellow Jacket has a standard power cord and a couple of low voltage wires that go to the port where the hose connects.

Harley1993rider
06-03-2020, 06:32 AM
I'm also curious about the wiring harness. As I recall, my Yellow Jacket has a standard power cord and a couple of low voltage wires that go to the port where the hose connects.
Maybe it was the wiring harness that started the fire. It goes to the shop next Thursday so we will find out more. Or maybe neither but both sweeper and wiring harness are burnt. Wiring harness is main wire system that runs through our camper.

TravelTiger
06-03-2020, 10:42 AM
My sister in law bought a used 2012 Bighorn a few years ago, upon further investigation we discovered the Yellowjacket vac behind the basement wall had some burned wires and melted plastic. We never tried to operate it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer
06-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Well I suppose I'll have to inspect.?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Harley1993rider
06-03-2020, 11:15 AM
My sister in law bought a used 2012 Bighorn a few years ago, upon further investigation we discovered the Yellowjacket vac behind the basement wall had some burned wires and melted plastic. We never tried to operate it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatís exactly where ours is located! I used the Yellowjacket vac about an hour before! We are pretty sure thatís what started it!! Because if the fire our wiring harness burnt too!! I update you next week after the camper is evaluated by the shop.
If she still has that camper I would get it checked out.

danemayer
06-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Thatís exactly where ours is located! I used the Yellowjacket vac about an hour before! We are pretty sure thatís what started it!! Because if the fire our wiring harness burnt too!! I update you next week after the camper is evaluated by the shop.
If she still has that camper I would get it checked out.

Can you explain precisely what you mean by "wiring harness"?

As anyone who has taken down the rear wall of the pass through storage has discovered, Heartland has nothing that would typically be called a wiring harness. Rather it's just a lot of individual wires.

Are you the original owner of this trailer?

Harley1993rider
06-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Can you explain precisely what you mean by "wiring harness"?

As anyone who has taken down the rear wall of the pass through storage has discovered, Heartland has nothing that would typically be called a wiring harness. Rather it's just a lot of individual wires.

Are you the original owner of this trailer?
Yes, We are the original owner.

RV wiring harness is vehicle-specific and plugs into the existing wiring system

cookie
06-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Can you post a couple pictures of the damage?

Peace
Dave

boatto5er
06-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Yes, We are the original owner.

RV wiring harness is vehicle-specific and plugs into the existing wiring system

I'm confused by this also. the Yellow Jacket has a single120volt line that runs to the circuit breaker panel. Do you mean that wire is burnt? Or are you talking about the main line that comes into the RV from the Shore power box?

avvidclif
06-03-2020, 11:59 AM
If you want to call that massive conglomeration of wires going everywhere and nowhere a harness, well ok. Designed and built by the 3 stooges.

TravelTiger
06-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Thatís exactly where ours is located! I used the Yellowjacket vac about an hour before! We are pretty sure thatís what started it!! Because if the fire our wiring harness burnt too!! I update you next week after the camper is evaluated by the shop.
If she still has that camper I would get it checked out.

No she does not. I can tell you that their Yellow Jacket had a cord plugged into a standard three prong outlet, and it was unplugged. No damage to the plug or cord. The wires and plastic that looked melted were on the Yellowjacket unit itself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer
06-03-2020, 02:09 PM
RV wiring harness is vehicle-specific and plugs into the existing wiring system

Still have no idea what you mean. I have a 2011 Landmark and there is no wiring harness. And the Eureka has a standard power cord that plugs into a standard outlet.

If you're sharing so that other owners can know what went wrong and what to check, some pictures would go a long way.

carl.swoyer
06-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Possible that the problem was where the power cord was wired into the vacuum?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Harley1993rider
06-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Still have no idea what you mean. I have a 2011 Landmark and there is no wiring harness. And the Eureka has a standard power cord that plugs into a standard outlet.

If you're sharing so that other owners can know what went wrong and what to check, some pictures would go a long way.
6422264223

danemayer
06-03-2020, 05:43 PM
You should consider contacting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) and ask them to investigate.

carl.swoyer
06-03-2020, 07:01 PM
You should consider contacting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) and ask them to investigate.Absolutely.
I'm certainly checking on mine

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Harley1993rider
06-03-2020, 07:11 PM
6422264223
Fire burnt the wiring harness which is not a part on the eureka Yellow Jacket.

danemayer
06-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Fire burnt the wiring harness which is not a part on the eureka Yellow Jacket.

It seems like the primary issue is what caused the vacuum cleaner to be on fire an hour after using it. Did you notice any noise continuing after disconnecting the hose - indicating that it was still running? Anything unusual before noticing the smoke and flame?

Harley1993rider
06-04-2020, 06:56 AM
It seems like the primary issue is what caused the vacuum cleaner to be on fire an hour after using it. Did you notice any noise continuing after disconnecting the hose - indicating that it was still running? Anything unusual before noticing the smoke and flame?

Nothing different while running vacuum and it didnít continue to run. The first thing I heard was the electrical snapping, smoke, plastic smell and then flames.

wdk450
06-11-2020, 12:25 PM
The past couple of days I was hearing a "roaring" noise which i though was coming from my Igloo tabletop icemaker which I keep on the floor between the bedroom/bathroom steps and the circuit breaker panel. Today the roaring noise didn't go away by itself, and I was startled to find that it didn't go away when I unplugged the icemaker from the outlet. Then it dawned on me that the noise was the central vacuum cleaner ( which I have only used a couple of times in the 11 years I have owned the Bighorn - I have a conventional vacuum cleaner). I am wondering if this switching on by itself could be related to the burnt wiring and evident fire damage reported by others. I can envision a scenario where the vacuum runs for hours by itself when the RVers are away from the trailer, maybe even finally shutting off before they get back. I simply turned off the circuit breaker on mine for now. This might be a good idea for others who are concerned about the recent fire damage postings. You can turn the breaker ON if/when you choose to use the central vacuum system.