How many miles on your Tow Vehicle?

After reading all of the endless forums regarding fuel/gas mileage, I am wondering how many of you have a Tow Vehicle with over 100,000 or 200,000 miles? If so, what make / model?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
See below for (paid for! :) ) make/model. Currently over 206k miles and avg about 10.6 mpg when towing the Cyclone, 20 mpg without! :D

lrmike

We've got 175,000 miles on our 1996 F-250, 2WD, 7.3L Powerstroke. Avg between 10 and 11 MPG towing the 5vr, around 17 MPG empty. Could probably do better if I could keep it below 60MPH :)

That's what I wanted to hear. Where I come from people took pride in getting the most out of their trucks. Now it seems like people have to trade in every two years because of the NEW and LATEST $500 option.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll chime in at the other end of the spectrum. Although I haven't checked it towing, mine has 2300 miles on it. I've been getting 12.0 - 12.5 driving around on short hops. Last weekend, we drove down to Cincinnati (no trailer) and I was getting 17.2 running 65 mph down I-75 in Ohio.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I'll add more - I recently drove from Buffalo, WY to Denver, CO. Spent 2 days in Denver and drove back - overall mpg average for entire trip: 20.3 :D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our 1999 Ford F350 has 220,000 on it. 7.3 diesel with a full Banks package and exhaust brake. We usually get 10.5 towing however in our recent trip to Albuquerque we were driving into a 35 mph wind with 62 mph gusts outside of Lubbock and only got 5.5 mpg. The next day we had a 20 mph tailwind and got 12.5 mpg in the mountains outside of Albuquerque. Not towing we get 16-19 depending on how heavy my foot is that day. I have been told a diesel is not broke in until it gets 75000 miles on it.

PS when driving into that high wind the truck would not even stay in overdrive. Never had that happen before. (please don't scold me for driving in winds that bad. I do know better)

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Only 80,000 on my Chevy. I get zactly the same as htneighbors. Average 10.5 towing and 21 hwy if I don't drive like an idiot. Everyday driving around 17

TXBobcat

Fulltime
2006 F250 PSD 4D 4WD LB, 73K miles
10.5 towing 12.4k Bighorn ave spd 63-65 mph
15 in town
18-20 on hwy ave spd 65-70 mph

Found I get better fuel mileage at about 63 mph rather than 55. Transmission has to down shift and pull harder when hitting hills or long rises in the hwy.

crazybanshee

Our truck has 583,532 on it. Has a M11 Cummins. Mileage never checked cuz it doesn't matter. Average speed 75 MPH.
Doug

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
You can see my truck in my sig. When towing, I get between 11.5-12.5. I made a trip from Omaha to Denver and back. Hand calculated I got 21.4 mpg. Was really surprised the difference between the DIC and hand calc was only .3 mpg. The DIC showed 21.7. As far as mileage, just turned over 100,000 miles.
Fred

Last edited:

Ernie & Lettie

We have a 2002 Ford Excursion, v-10 4x4, In town empty 10.5-11.5, on interstate empty 16.5-17.5, interstate with trailer 9.0-9.7, have just turned over 106,000 miles really love the truck.

crazybanshee

Hey West. Loaded for long trips full water, four quads and beer scales at 18,350lbs. With a pin weight of 4200lbs.
Doug

thomasinnv

2000 F350 7.3 powerstroke 273k and still going strong. only thing done to the engine was a turbo rebuild last winter. 17 empty, 9-11 towing depending on terrain. gross weight loaded with family, full of fuel and the dog...21.5k

Delaine and Lindy

We have 56,600 miles on our Freightliner M2 and will never have to buy another Truck to pull our 5th wheel. I haven't checked the mileage but it gets as good or more than any of the GM 3500HDs we have owned when we are towing. I filled the tanks last Sept. (160 gals) and still have 1/4 of a tank and since we got to Gulf Shores in Oct I have driven the Truck about 25 miles per week. We double tow the Chevy HHR and drive it while we are here. I very seldom fill the tanks unless the price is down, doesn't look like its going down much more so I will just put on 50 gals and wait to see if it goes down this spring. It does seem like the Mercedes Diesel does get good mileage, considering what its towing, but it only has 300 hp but has a 1,000 lbs or Torq. Very few HDT/MDT owners check fuel mileage, fuel mileage isn't something you think about will running a Big Truck that in our case the weight of the Truck is 14,060 lbs. GBY....

rvn4fun

We have 94000 miles on our Freightliner. Bought it used from another rver who claimed it would get 15 to 16 pulling. I disputed that but we do get 13 to 14 if we pull at 60 to 62, but if you kick it up to 70 our kitty cat will devour fuel. So we drive in the low sixties, keeping the cat at just below 1900 rpms. Better for trailor tires and we are retired and in no hurry.