How many miles on your Tow Vehicle?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just turned over 200,000 miles on my '02 GMC and still running strong.

Rmcgrath53

144k amsoil fluids in engine oil, synthetic in trans.flushed radiator @135,000 (as important as changing oil!) dont know if previos owner did . Diesel clean added at most fill ups. A can of sea foam every couple of fill ups. (HAD BAD FUEL OWNCE AND CLOGGED THE INJECTORS) . It cleared it right up. 19 mpg empty @ speed limit of 62 mph 10 to 12 pulling Sundance.

bill40

Wow I'm not even broke in yet 75469 on the 05. Did have 205 on the 95 not bad for that engine. Do get fairly good mpg for a unit this big.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
a 2000 F250 with as of 2/26/2010 a total mile accumulation of 273,678.10 and going strong!!!!!!! Of course it is an original 7.3.

LilGTO71

Just a pup I guess. My 06 only has 26K. Get about 11.5 - 12.5 towing our new Sundance. Empty, 16 in town and 25+ on the hwy (if I keep it about 65). By the way, did I say how much I love my truck?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Maybe what we could do on this site is to leave the MPG blank and allow the watchdogs to put in what they consider true and to the point. Actually I have attained 18.6 mpg, the worst being 11.5 but none the less 18.6 has been the case. Have you bothered to check out what my truck is, how it was built, and what is on it? NOPE!!!! Just called BS...................too much of that goes on here. My truck is a highly modified 7.3 PSD, not off the shelf and able to easily obtain that type of milage. Sorry if I offended any by stating this milage...........taint BS. Don't be so quick to send a message..................makes you look a little silly.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
18.6 mpg towing a heavy BigHorn sounds like BS to me too. Don't get offended Rumaco as we all share information here and take what we want from whats posted. If you have a way to acheive a average mpg like that please share that info. with us!
I at times have got good mpgs on my rides but the true average mpg is a totally differiant story
eg: 08 Ford SD towing.............................. 9 mpg
05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 non towing........9 mpg
08 Dodge Viper..................................8-9 mpg
09 Dodge Challenger r/t.......................17 mpg

Last edited:

ihsolutions

My 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A 4x4 EC/Sb has only 36k miles on it. I average about 3-4k per year, as we only use it for towing. It stays stored in the garage in the winter, has never seen salt, but has been rustproofed nonetheless. Maintained religiously, synthetic everything, and looks like it just left the showroom floor.

I bought this truck to order in 2002 and at my current age (33 yrs old) expect it to last the rest of my life as long as I continue to take care of it. I wouldn't trade it for a new one, ever. I'd never get an appropriate price for it given the condition. If anything, I'll do a dually conversion down the line if we decide to full time in it at some point.

DW_Gray

I've had my new truck for only 14 months and already driven 31,000 miles. At that rate I should hit 100K in about 3 more years if I keep full-timing. According to the truck's monitor I'm getting 9-10 MPG towing. One of the days I'll do an actual measurement.

irvin56

198,00 kilometers/ roughly 120,000miles.
weight of complete camping unit is 12,800 lbs

12.9 mpg. flat land, no mountains.
tow/haul on

4.8 liter-3;73 gears

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
When you are quick to respond PLEASE give us all a detailed explaination of what your truck has! The builds, the extras and anything that makes it something that is not standard! ALL and I do mean ALL the responses here follow the "it is factory standard" and "why would I change a factory truck, they know what they are doing" type of argument. I have always modified my trucks to do a very "SPECIFIC" job and this seems to upset those that do not. Most of my F250 trucks (3) could oupull and outcarry all of the 350s and some of the 450s. Lets tell all what you really have PAST FACTORY!!!!

Dave012

Maybe what we could do on this site is to leave the MPG blank and allow the watchdogs to put in what they consider true and to the point. Actually I have attained 18.6 mpg, the worst being 11.5 but none the less 18.6 has been the case. Have you bothered to check out what my truck is, how it was built, and what is on it? NOPE!!!! Just called BS...................too much of that goes on here. My truck is a highly modified 7.3 PSD, not off the shelf and able to easily obtain that type of milage. Sorry if I offended any by stating this milage...........taint BS. Don't be so quick to send a message..................makes you look a little silly.

Here’s an interesting post on a different forum. Could it apply as equally to 18.6 mpg as 22 mpg? Powerstroke.org . Check out the author of that one.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

We have towed with Ford Diesels since they came out. Have had many of them and still have 4 currently. F250-F550 with automatics in all of them. The old ones (6.9) didn't pull as good as the super duty series. We range from 9-13 mpg when you average both ends of the trips together. This is over the past 30 years and the major improvements were the Torque Lock transmissions and the super duty towing packages. MPG still is near the same with about 2 mpg gain in the later years. Trailer weights are similar with the camper length getting longer being the biggest change. We have had several mods over the years and most of them cost a transmission rebuild. We travel a lot of miles so some of you that only pull 10K a year or so might see better results. My neighbors get similar MPG as well. If we are running empty with no wind then the MPG goes Up considerable.