Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Geo caching

1. Print this Post   #1
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Geo caching

Do we have any Geo caching folks out there. I made my first find several days ago at Thousand Trails Lake Conroe. I am just getting started doing it. Kindof interesting. I go an app for my I phone which gives you directions and lists of all of the caching in your area. Even has a compass that tells you how many feet you are from it when you get close. Cool.....
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

2. Print this Post   #2

Jim
    I am a member of the geo cache web site. I don't have a GPS to Geo Cache yet.
    Which one are you using...

This is one I had been looking at.
    Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Color GPS

I want a hand held but I also want one that will give me the altitude.

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Jim, if you ever get out to Calif. There lots of cach's out in the high desert areas close to us. Bob
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

4. Print this Post   #4
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

I actually have been using my I phone. There is a geo-cach application that you can download. The app gives you a listing of cachs close to your location, allows you to save them, then displays them on a map. You can follow the map to the cach. When you get close to it you can load a compass which displays the compass and how many feet you are from the cach. It will also give you basic information about the cach i.e. difficulty, what it is in (ammo can etc) and other basic info about it. What I like about the app is it will display the cachs on a satelite map, hybrid map or drawn map. I looked at the online site but haven't joined it yet, but plan to.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

5. Print this Post   #5

Geo caching can be alot of fun. We have found quite a few here in Colo. on our camp trips. Make sure if you find one, you log it on the web site to update info. Some people have been from along ways away. Kinda Cool!

Bryan, Lin, Gretchen(Weimeraner)
    Heartland Owners Club #1120
    2006 KR F350 SRW LB
    2008 3100DS Razor
    2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    Colorado

6. Print this Post   #6
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

We haven't done any in the last year or so but have had fun with it before. We still get the monthly newletter through the website. Our new Magellan Maestro 4350 has the option to give you directions to co-ordinates. It will guide you to the closest street, park you and guide you on foot to the co-ordinates. It may be pretty cool with the new GPS. Maybe we could have a section in the forum for it? Or just continue in this section.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

7. Print this Post   #7

That would be a good section for Geo Caching. I know I would look it over. I am intrested in learning to do caching.

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

8. Print this Post   #8

I had a smaller garmin hand held color unit, but it never seemed to work right and I really wanted one that could do navigation and routing. Last year I bought a Garmin Nuvi 750 and it is great. My DW has a Nuvi 260 too. Both work on foot and in the truck. I love the large screen. If it weren't 104 degrees here I might try to take the dogs out and do some geo-caching.
    Alan, Sandy, and 2 Corgis, Molly and Baxter

9. Print this Post   #9

Our daughter, Coastiegirl04 in the geocaching world, has been caching for years. She has placed caches in Wisconsin, Louisiana, and Ohio (our front yard for one) where she has been stationed with the Coast Guard. We have often been caching with her -- it is a lot of fun. Hope to get into it more ourselves when we retire next year and become semi-full-time RVrs.

10. Print this Post   #10

We have been Geocaching for years. Its a lot of fun and a good family activity. My husband is looking for a new hand held as ours is getting old and he really likes to get new toys (not to mention that one of his friends just got a new one and it has more bells and whistles). We make a point of looking up caches for areas that we are traveling to - various places in Canada and the US.

A fun way to spend a day and get to see areas of towns you might not see.

Jody

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast