Is my powered cord reel installed up-side down ?

RollingHome

Look at my photo's and look at yours. I believe the cord should come out the bottom and not the top. As it is now all the weight of the 50 amp cord must rest on the light weight plastic door, I don't know how long it will last. I believe changing it will mean removing the entire unit, not just the door. Flipping it and reinstalling it - yikes :confused:

Attachments

• Cord at Top..JPG
    Cord at Top..JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Cord on door..JPG
    Cord on door..JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 77

dennis2188

Good question since mine is just like yours on our 3055rl. I thought the same as you when we hooked ours up to CG power.

ChopperBill

Mine is like that. But thought the same as you when we first got it. Now I think it should be that way. The cord is wound up at the top so that is the way the slots should be on the door. I never have had 50 amps so my 30 amp adapter cord is stored inside and just the 30 amp male end sticks out the door. Seems to work OK.

RollingHome

OK, so we're all wrong or we're all right. Half a dozen to one 7 to the other it's all equal in the end. If anyone knows what's right and wrong for sure straighten us all out please... I'm still gonna climb under the rig and see if I can figure it out... someday :)

beardedone

Beardedone
The way the photo depicts the cord is the same as mine and I think that is right. If it came out the bottom would it re-wind properly?

RollingHome

Gerry, I thought the same thing you did... and to be honest, I don't know. I need to sit there study it and see if the cord will extend or retrack better. I know it's stupid, but I have to put blind faith in the HL techs and engineers that they already did this. But, I'm still going to look at it more closely. If I decide to change it I'll post in the forum. If they were wrong, they will be cooking our burgers and dogs at the next cook out, trust me on that.

RollingHome

Duane, Thanks... Think we can put this one to bed, I'm good to go as are others, least we ALL know, Thanks. Actually, I'm glad, it would have been a lot of work (yeah, I would have done it at home) for me to fix it. It ain't broke so I'm not gonna fix it... Thanks to all for your input. Still seems wrong huh ?

2010augusta

To add fuel to the debate. Here is ours.
DSCN9674 [640x480].JPG

But that is just how the RV body shop reinstalled the door after our accident. The cord still comes off the top of the reel.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Glad I saw this thread...we're on our way to have the power cord reel installed in our 08'...Ken's tired of lugging that thing around! Now we won't be surprised when it looks like it's upside down....

RollingHome

Alan, that's very interesting... It looks just like mine and I'll bet it is. So it is possible mine/ours are upside down. Now the question is, how hard is it to right side up...

2010augusta

So does it work better now that the door is upside down or did it work better before the accident?

John

I liked before better, because when I extended or retracted the cord the door would flop down out of the way of the cord, now I am thinking I need a clasp to hold the door open so it does not ride on the cord as I pull it out or guide it back in.

2010augusta

Alan, that's very interesting... It looks just like mine and I'll bet it is. So it is possible mine/ours are upside down. Now the question is, how hard is it to right side up...

Tom, just my door was flipped, nothing else. the cord still comes out above the bar on the reel, and now must bend around a lot to exit out the bottom of the door.

RollingHome

Alan, that's kinda pooh, huh, I would think if the entire unit was flipped 180 then it would be easier to pull/retract etc. Oh well, making lemons into lemonade, least I can walk away and say "yep, the dudes at HL, did it right"

Tom of Ypsi

Glad I saw this thread...we're on our way to have the power cord reel installed in our 08'...Ken's tired of lugging that thing around! Now we won't be surprised when it looks like it's upside down....

Kathy, Ken will really like the power cord reel and that is real nice of you thinking of him. I will never have another coach without one. Where are you having it installed? We are in Goshen, fairgrounds, and will be leaving here Saturday. Got here today and already visited the Dairy Queen.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Tom...thinking more of myself, can't stand the "whining"...LOL!!! We won't be getting there until June 23rd, and we're having the work done at the factory...sorry we'll miss you guys. Where are you headed??

beardedone

Beardedone
Just a little history on mine. One day when re-winding the cord I was distracted just as the plug end was coming in. Darn thing got sucked in and around the drum. Now there were a few words mentioned as I struggled to get that thing back out. So now I watch a lot closer!

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Howdy you all,
Mine also came from the factory as yours, however I did not wish to replace the door after many uses, so I turned the door over and have not had one problem with it, since it was reversed, and the cord flaps work just fine when gravity brings the door down for me! Just my opinion.
Have a great day!
Mike