Big Horn vs Jayco designer

supernan1414

We were very interested in a 2010 designer Jayco. We were quoted a price on a 35 foot, last one on the lot. On our way to our campsite we stopped at the dealer where we had bought our last 2 fifth wheels just to make sure he didn't have a late motel used unit that would work. We went in the 2 new Big Horns he had on display and all we could say is wow. Long story short after a couple visits we ordered a 3185 RL (love the floor plan). I let the other sales person know we had decieded to purchase a Big Horn. He left me a message on voice mail infering the Big Horn was inferior to the Jayco in insulation and flooring. He said because of the wide landing gear we would get stress cracks. He also said the frame was inferior. He said consumer reports had a comparison. I really did no investigation, I relied on what our sales person told me about Heartland and reading the brochure. I do think there are some sour grapes here, anyone have thought on his comments. We are excited and can not wait for it to arrive. This is our first new rig and we ordered it to suit us. Thanks

goodtruck

Well having looked at both units I would go to any Heartland product before the jayco.I will be the first to admit I am a big fan of Heartland.We have been treated like valued customers and the amount of help we received from all the brand managers that we talked to was unbelievable.We looked at every 5th wheel that Heartland made and was just flabbergasted when they came out with the Eagle Ridge(now the elk ridge because of jayco).My wife and I looked for almost a year at all the different brands and the best for us was made by Heartland.That being said NO ONE builds a perfect unit but in our experience Heartland has stood behind what they said they would and we are very satisfied with our choice.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My dealer sells both Jayco Designer and Bighorn. We just ordered our second Bighorn from him. Need I say more.

Peace
Dave

RollingHome

Bill, This is just my opinion and please take it that way. We purchased the best Jayco made, and I believe they make a fabulous RV... BUT, we wanted to move up. We looked at many RV's and there are better RV's then HL products, but the extra money did not justify the way too much added cost. I am an engineer so I pondered every thing I could. Yes, I could get better, but the increase in $ was not equal to the value. I would have loved to get a HL Landmark just for snob appeal but I couldn't rationalise it. MY wife and I bought a BigHorn 3670RL and on our last trip no less then 10 couples (total strangers) toured it because they were so impressed with the looks and quality, so are we. We loved our Jayco, BUT we love our BH more. This rig is comfortable, it tows great and we love it. Are there/were there problems ? You bet... And we also had problems with the Jayco and other previous units. However, they are NOT problems, they are bugs... bugs you will need to work out :). So buy a BH and start de-bugging have fun ! We would buy another BH in a heartbeat :). Tom

supernan1414

Thank You RollingHome, goodtruck and Cookie,
We really appreciate your thoughts and feel comfortable with our choice to order the Big Horn. RollongHome we would have ordered the 3670 RL but we are limited to 35 feet at our campground so are going with the 3185 RL, very simular but we can't get the king size bed. We sleep in a king sized at home so really wanted that but had to give up something and our present camper has queen and we manage. The way our lot is I wanted the big window in the back and the other large windows on the door side to overlook the deck and lawn area. I think this floor plan is perfect.

musicman

We looked for over two years at different manufacturers of 5th wheels. We decided on the Big Horn and we have been very pleased. Yes, as already posted there are always bugs to work out and I can honestly say that Heartland has bent over backwards to help solve of minor issues with our trailer. We love our Big Horn and would recommend it to anyone asking for input. Good luck in your decision!

Hi supernan, do yourself a favor and measure the same model you are buying and make sure it's under 35 ft. You never know!

Yes our 3410RE measures out to 38'9" from the ladder to the tip of the Trailair pin box. The brochure length is 36'9"! The 3055 we were also looking at was almost 36'. I think that adding another 1.5' to 2' for the ladder and pin box would be more accurate. I believe the brochure does say to add another 9" for the ladder. The pin box length will vary depending on what type.

But congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you will find room for it and I agree that you made the right choice!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Wow, I have to say it sounds so good to hear all this. And cookie, how cool is that, your second rig, welcome to the second time buyers program. Not really sure what you get other than another awesome unit but I am sure it is very exciting. Do you think you will have it before Nashville?

supernan1414, I am sure you will love your new rig. Welcome to the Heartland family.

Mark

PSF513

We just got our Bighorn 3610 about 2 weeks ago. Traded in our 2010 Big Country. As I told my DW, I don't know what took us so long to become second time buyers, all in less than 11 months. Good luck and Happy Travels.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Wow, I have to say it sounds so good to hear all this. And cookie, how cool is that, your second rig, welcome to the second time buyers program. Not really sure what you get other than another awesome unit but I am sure it is very exciting. Do you think you will have it before Nashville?

supernan1414, I am sure you will love your new rig. Welcome to the Heartland family.

Mark

Hey Mark...can't afford to upgrade to a Landmark just yet...but we keep adding neat stuff to our 08' Bighorn like the Level-Up and the Electric cord reel that we're in Elkhart to have installed tomorrow! But you can bet, when we are ready, it's gonna be a Landmark...until then we LOVE our Bighorn!

Congrats Cookie...can't wait to see your new rig!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mark, no will will not get it before Nashville. :( Anticipating the first week in August.
Ken and Kathy, we will be in Goshen tomorrow. We will be meeting with Tim K. at the factory.
If we have time we will look you up at Trail-Air. We are scheduled to have the Level Up system put on the new rig on August 25th.
We are also meeting with Rick and Blanca. They are at RV Capital for some repair work.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Cookie, Great! I mis-spoke, though...we already have the Level-Up on, did that last year. We'll be at the factory having the electric reel installed...we'll meet up with you there. We're arriving at about 8:00 AM.

Will have to go over the RV Capital and see Rick and Blanca too.

ChopperBill

We looked at a "10" Jayco that had the same floor plan as our RE. It was only used for 2 weeks and towed 600 miles. It looked like right from the factory. Could have saved about 15 grand by buying it instead of our Bighorn RE. Wasn't worth it. Some Bighorn bashers that own Jayco's at the other site. I sure didn't see what they saw.