Last Ford

landp

Well I think I have my f-350 sold. I do believe I have bought my last ford. Which is a shame with the exception of the engine I love the truck. So I think I am going to go with a dodge next time. I am starting to see those much more often. What is anyone opinion of the larger dodge diesel truck?

2010augusta

My thought on the dodge trucks is great engine, but the rest of the truck is bad. I got to ride in a 2010 or 11 (the new larger body style) and had to hunch over and lean to fit in the back seat. the fit and finish is just okay and the tow rating have not been on par with the Fords.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just for grins and giggles you might go look at the new Chevy/GMC's. Big, roomy and plenty of power.

boatdoc

I WAS a Ford person for all my years untill the 6.0, 6.4 POS. I, like the OP, went to the Dodge and we couldn't be happier. Sure, we gave up a little truck but I don't have to worry about that engine and that is the biggest load off my mind EVER. Ford has lost me and many, many other Ford die-hards. I won't go back just because of the crud that was spoon fed to me about those engines from a couple of dealerships. Now all you guys that have them and have no problems, good for you and I'm glad your trucks have performed the way a truck should. I'm sorry but I had two of them and I don't have another cheek to turn.
The Dodge pulls our 3670 way better than the Ford ever could and the mileage is better also. This was verified by the wife who has never pulled the trailer with either truck, just her "seat of the pants" feel in the co-pilot seat.
I don't know where the " rest of the truck is bad " thought came from but we definitely don't feel that way at all. I hope you have drove, rode and pulled with one to make that statement, Allan, that's not like you!!!
Gary

sgtbigb

Alan, apparently the dodge you set in the back seat was not a mega Cab, you could put a queen size bed in the back !

2010augusta

The mega cab is roomy, but the "crew cab" is much small than the Ford.

I have not driven or tow with a Dodge in several years, but when I when to a Dodge dealer in 2008 to buy a new truck and telling them I wanted to be able to tow a 17,000# trailer, the salesman sent me across the street to buy a Ford, they would not even try to order a 3500 with 4:10 gears, even through that is an option on the order list. Got to question the dealer and the brand that will actually tell you that you have to buy a Ford.

Here is a good solution, Keep the Ford and drop in a cummins. DeStroked.com

lwmcguir

We ran a couple of newer Dodges on the ranch for a few years. Engine did great and in the winter they would be started in the early hours and run all day until after dark. Never a problem with the engine. The rest of the truck just couldn't take Ranch life. They literally fell apart. Perhaps the last three years they have toughened them up as their adds show. I think you will be happy with the engine and since you are staying on the road you probably will like it OK. As far as us and all our neighbors we learned the hard way, when we traded them in we gave them away and went back to Fords. We were the lucky ones as we went back after the 2003-2004 early 6.0 years. Ford is just a tougher built truck all around for work. Towing a relatively light Augusta really isn't work. When you hook on to the stock trailer and go across the ranch trails with twenty 1500-1800 pound cows in the trailer plus the equipment and trailer weight then you are working a truck. MOHO

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Have to agree with taking a look at the Chevy/GMC. The Duramax/Allison combo is bulletproof and the new 2011's are even better. I agree about the Ford's, wouldn't touch one. Owners seem to tell you what a great truck it is and then tell you of their problems.

porthole

Retired
And not a single ford or gm dealer has literature on the 2011's or the new towing guides. I have frequently now seen adds stating the new Ford has a 24K towing capacity, but those adds seem to leave out that number is for the F450

bill40

The new info came out last week on the GM'S. My son sells them, they are much improved over last years tow rating. If you are thinking of a 3500 CC Drw get prepared for a large check. But that also applies to the Dodge. MSRP is more than my first and second houses combined. Just have fun looking.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, we have had the 2500's for 2 months now. The 3500's should have been out by now. This is what I know as of now. The 2500's are rated at 17400# for a 5er. The 3500's are rated at 29400# GCVW and 21400#'s for a 5er. 765 lb's of torque and 396 or 398 HP(I think). The 2011 Fords are about the same except they had to chip it to get that.

Jellystone

landp, go out and get a Dodge diesel. Dodge makes a terrific all around Heavy Duty. No matter what the competitors say, you cannot beat the Cummins diesel engine. Overall Cummins is the leader of the pack for dependability and durability. Cummins engines are also used in various other applications (large trac hoes, towboats, tugboats, tractors, etc.) and have proven themselves for many years. The Dodge Ram trucks are legendary and you will enjoy one for many years to come.---I personally do not have anything against Ford or GM, but Dodge is my #1. Any American manufacturer is OK in my book.

porthole

Retired
The new info came out last week on the GM'S. My son sells them, they are much improved over last years tow rating. If you are thinking of a 3500 CC DRW get prepared for a large check. But that also applies to the Dodge. MSRP is more than my first and second houses combined. Just have fun looking.

Also applies to the ford. Of the three, the dodge will be the least. Ford and GM seem to be neck and neck.

Duane, we have had the 2500's for 2 months now. The 3500's should have been out by now. This is what I know as of now. The 2500's are rated at 17400# for a 5er. The 3500's are rated at 29400# GCVW and 21400#'s for a 5er. 765 lb's of torque and 396 or 398 HP(I think). The 2011 Fords are about the same except they had to chip it to get that.

Local dealer told me they don't expect to see a 3500 DRW until late. The ford with the software change is now 400/800.
Actually a good move on their part. Wait for GM to announce and then do a simple change.

porthole

Retired
Cummins engines are also used in various other applications (large trac hoes, towboats, tugboats, tractors, etc.) and have proven themselves for many years.

True, but not the same Cummins.

I haven't driven a Dodge pickup in over 12 years and I'm sure they have changed. But when I was still a dealer tech they had to be about the worst riding truck made.

tmcran

We ran a couple of newer Dodges on the ranch for a few years. Engine did great and in the winter they would be started in the early hours and run all day until after dark. Never a problem with the engine. The rest of the truck just couldn't take Ranch life. They literally fell apart. Perhaps the last three years they have toughened them up as their adds show. I think you will be happy with the engine and since you are staying on the road you probably will like it OK. As far as us and all our neighbors we learned the hard way, when we traded them in we gave them away and went back to Fords. We were the lucky ones as we went back after the 2003-2004 early 6.0 years. Ford is just a tougher built truck all around for work. Towing a relatively light Augusta really isn't work. When you hook on to the stock trailer and go across the ranch trails with twenty 1500-1800 pound cows in the trailer plus the equipment and trailer weight then you are working a truck. MOHO

Yep, on the Cummins engine. yep on the rest of the truck ... bad on rough roads and in the oil fields. Don't see many Dodges in the oil fields. Rattle and beat the crap out of ya. JMO.

bill40

Also applies to the ford. Of the three, the dodge will be the least. Ford and GM seem to be neck and neck.

Local dealer told me they don't expect to see a 3500 DRW until late. The ford with the software change is now 400/800.
Actually a good move on their part. Wait for GM to announce and then do a simple change.

My son said GM will have a up grade mid year, any early deliveries will get the upgrade when they come in for service.

Jellystone

porthole, I don't understand what you mean about it not being the same Cummins. The very same Cummins company that make the diesels for Dodge is the same Cummins company that make marine and industrial engines. Cummins makes different engines for different applications. Example-Caterpillar dozer engines are made by the same Caterpillar company that makes engines for boats as well. All areas of diesel engines are mandated now with TIER requirements to meet certain emission standards. I hope this clears it up.
True, but not the same Cummins.

I haven't driven a Dodge pickup in over 12 years and I'm sure they have changed. But when I was still a dealer tech they had to be about the worst riding truck made.