Help with Damage Assessment Needed

floridarandy

Well it didn't take long. First trip out with our 09 2900mk and a semi ahead of us kicked up a 3' long aluminum bar which I was unable to avoid. No apparent damage to the underbelly of the truck and, thank God, no hit to tires or a blowout at highway speeds would have been certain.

In fact, I assumed no damage as tire pressure monitoring system showed no pressure loss and I forgot about the incident through our enjoyable 4 day camping trip and return home. After parking the rig I was placing wheel chocks and noticed a metal rod hanging down between the streetside tires. At first I thought it was a damaged suspension component but after crawling underneath I discovered that metal rod protruding from the underbelly. Apparently it had bounced somehow and was somehow driven up through the black underbelly material. Link shows pictures of the rod as it existed before I removed it.

http://damage.floridasun.airpost.net/sundance/

MY QUESTION FOR THE FACTORY:

The entry point was 6" behind the forward axle and 24 inches in from the streetside outside edge of the rig. The rod entered in the stated location and, amazingly, its 20" path of travel was upward at a 45 degree angle but perpendicular to the centerline of the rig (right to left facing the rig). Approximately 20" was driven in the underbelly and 16 inches remained protruding. Given the entry point and depth what is located in this area that could have been damaged? We noticed no issues with electrical (lights or braking) or plumbing (water flow or gray/black tanks.

The rod didn't not feel as if it was imbedded in something firm. I pulled it carefully at the same angle of entry. It seemed only to be sliding against the black material and left a hole but brought nothing out with it!

Thanks

Randy

Last edited:

jbeletti

Randy,

We'll have to wait for Dave Willis to weigh in on this to be sure, but I believe the fresh water tank may be between the 2 axles. I suggest you cut an inspection flap into the coruplast to be sure. Then use Gorilla Glue duct tape or Nashau Select (I think that's it) to seal the flap. Clean the area well before taping.

Jim

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
So glad that the damage appears to be minimal, and that you are both OK. It is amazing what can happen in a blink of an eye. I agree with Jim's suggestion about making an inspection flap so that you can make a visual inspection.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, maybe you couldn't dodge the bar, but you did dodge the "bullet." If you didn't have any problems during your 4-day camping trip, could be it missed the major components under the Coroplast. Let us know how your inspection turns out.

floridarandy

inspection flap is a great suggestion.

before i cut into the coroplast let me ask:

1. there appeared to be a silver material inside the hole....is this some type of barrier?
2. as i move vertically from the coloplast what lies above and below the deck, specifically insulation and how low might components "droop" (electric, plumbing, etc) so i know how deep a cut is safe. I seem to recall reading this are is a somewhat disorganized concoction of things....anyone have a picture with the coroplast off?

I had truck examined a tire dealer today and no evidence of damage. Still amazed a 3 foot object made it under truck and ended up lodging nearly two feet in to underside of rig at right angles to the direction of travel!

Randy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Randy, try removing some of the retaining screws along the frame and pull the Coroplast down so you can see what's under it before cutting around the puncture site. I believe the silver material is a vapor barrier and is not adhered to the Coroplast.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The silver material is most likely the "bubble" insulation above the coroplast. If it were mine and everything works fine....leave it alone. Cover the hole and go camping. Besides the plumbing and electical, the only thing higher than that is the plywood floor. There should not be any LP lines that far in.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I would not cut the hole any bigger, I would remove the screws from the outside edge and drop the underbelly and view across at it. the fresh tank is located directly over the axles. your grey and black tanks are positioned towards the front of the unit. I think you may have gotten lucky on this one but before you go camping I would take a look and make sure.

floridarandy

I would not cut the hole any bigger, I would remove the screws from the outside edge and drop the underbelly and view across at it. the fresh tank is located directly over the axles. your grey and black tanks are positioned towards the front of the unit. I think you may have gotten lucky on this one but before you go camping I would take a look and make sure.

can you confirm the dimensions of the freshwater tank and its placement from from each side of the coach?