PEX connectors, which ones to use?

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
After we purchaces our new 09 BH, we had a few water leaks behind the wall (ODC?)where all the outside lines come in. We had the dealer come out to our campsite and repair them. The Tech use hose clamps instead of the PEX crimp fittings. now a couple of years later, I found a little puddle of water on the basement floor, tracked it down to a fitting on on of the bypass valves. The hose clamp was loose. So I tightened it, or thought I did, and the clamp would not stay tight. I found another hose clamp and put it on and now he leak is stopped for now.

I was not real familiar with PEX fittings, but have read a little on them, I found there are 2 types, the copper rings, and a stainless steel crimp (chinch) type. The chinch type are the type that were on the hoses before the tech replaced them. Ok now for the question, should I used the chinch type on these hoses, or use the copper rings. The Customer service Rep at Home Depot said that the SS chinch were used mostly on the beverage lines, and the copper rings were used for the more ridged PEX lines, Like the ones that go to sinks water lines. I'm not opposed to buying either, but just want to make sure that I stop the leaking.

GOTTOYS

As you found out, hose clamps don't work. Makes you wonder what kind of RV tech that was. If you just have a couple connections to do you could go with the Shark Bite connectors. They are a little expensive but cheaper than buying a crimping tool for the Pex. JMHO..Don

bdb2047

My understanding is the 2 types do same job different manf. I use the copper rings I have them in house and have used in camper.I have not used them on the white flex tubing have not had a need yet.Be interesting to see what others have done I plan on rearranging the maze of plumbing and wiring.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Don, the Shark bite won't work, most the clamps are on the elbows on the two bypass vavles, and acouple of "T" fittings.

Dave, the dealer may have used PEX connectors if I would have taken it back to the dealership. But we were volenteering at a State Park and wasn't going to have to leave it until who knows when, for them to get it done. It took some very hard persuading. and a threat to take my old 5ver back, before they came out, but they could have brought the crimp tool with them.

lwmcguir

Use the copper rings. The chinch type are really better suited for underground sprinklers. Tool is only 50-80 dollars or so and last forever.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I used the copper rings to repair a small leak I had. Also, get rid of any plastic PEX fittings in the repair. The brass ones have larger openings and are compatible with the removal tools for the copper rings. The plastic ones are not. In my plumbing repair kit, I've got tools, extra fittings and crimps for both the copper and cinch style rings. Depends on how much room there is to work.

View attachment 13195

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the copper ring PEX tool. As mentioned above if I have to work on the water hoses I replace the plastic connectors. The crimp tool is cheaper than the copper ring. The copper ring tool will not work with the crimp rings. I don't know which one is better but the crimp type seems to work and is less expensive.

BC

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thought I would build a repair kit (just in case :eek:)...what size clamp is used?

rebootsemi

All the fittings are 1/2", the hose HL uses is not your basic 1/2" hose from homedepot or ace. It is 1/2" ID and .668" OD it is used in the beverage industry and the 1/2" pex rings and cinch rings will fit it. The short fresh water hose HL supplied with the trailer is actually made of this hose. I found it much easier to use the cinch rings and you can cinch them with a pair of Channellock end cutters without having to purchase the $50 tool to cinch them. Don't worry about cutting the cinch ring, they are tough.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting the cinch rings off can be a problem. Some folks have cut them off with a Dremel tool, but a set of concrete nippers (not tile nippers) works fine. I think they're the concrete ones, so long as the jaws close fully. One of them does not and won't complete the cut.

I started out with the copper rings since I had a leak, needed to get it fixed, and the Home Depot across from the storage yard only had that type of connectors. I added the cinch rings and tools to my kit to be ready for anything. I also added some extra brass unions and tees to the kit.

I prefer to spend the money and have the tools rather than have to run all over northern Michigan looking for it. The nearest Lowes or HD up here is 30 miles away.