Installing localized 400w Inverter in Edge M18

Yellowreef

This is a very simple upgrade that allows you to watch tv, and use/charge electronics while dry camping. This will work for many kinds of inverters, but I chose a 400w because I will only be using it for electronics and this is plenty. The Jensen flatscreen that comes with the Edge only needs 50w, and I doubt my cell phone or iPad would take up the remaining capacity.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: Make sure to disconnect all sources of power including the house battery from your trailer.

1) Determine where you want to install your inverter. I chose the tv compartment, as I can just unplug the tv from the wall outlet and plug into the inverter in the same place.

044.jpg

2) Take into account the distance from the inverter to the converter panel. The longer the distance, the heavier gauge wire you will need. In my case it was about 5 feet so I went with one gauge thicker than the factory wire that came with the inverter. The factory wire (alligator clips) was 14 gauge for 4 feet, I went 12 gauge. Figure out the path of least resistance and run your wire. I ran it righ down the closet cabinet frame, out of view from the outside, and held it in place with nail-on wire clips.

042.jpg

041.jpg

040.jpg

Yellowreef

3) Locate your fuse panel and remove the cover. In this case it has two screws near the top that stay attached to the faceplate after you undo them.

035.jpg

4) There will be four more screws holding the body of the inverter/panel housing to the wall. Unscrew those and pull the whole unit out. Fish your new wire through the back of the fuse panel to the front. Just follow the opening where the other wires come through.

038.jpg

5) Find an unused fuse slot. My Edge M18 came with two. Connect your positive wire to the terminal corresponding to an empty fuse slot. Install a 15 amp fuse in the slot for the wire you just connected.

036.jpg

Yellowreef

Find a good ground and connect your new ground wire there. For this install, I used the main neg connection on the panel. You don't have to do this if you are installing the converter elsewhere and can ground to the frame ect.

037.jpg

Put the converter body back the way it was and replace the front cover. Connect the wires to your new inverter. Re-connect your house power and give it a try. You should be good to go for dry camping!

043.jpg