Portable Ice maker? Any Thoughts?

jimtoo

Check out Compact Appliance Web site. I bought from them 4 years ago, when unit was 2 years old the sent me a small panel at no charge. Gave me great service and easy to talk to. Prices are really good also.

I think all these ice makers are almost the same, regardless of the name on it. None "store" ice,, they just keep making it as it melts or is used.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have tried every website I could to find one that will keep the ice frozen so you don't have to put it in the freezer. I guess it does not exist. If anyone knows of one please post information. I have had one for 2 years and love it but just need more freezer space.

Check out the Dometic website. They make a freezer you could put ice trays in.

PeternLiane

Check out Compact Appliance Web site. I bought from them 4 years ago, when unit was 2 years old the sent me a small panel at no charge. Gave me great service and easy to talk to. Prices are really good also.

I think all these ice makers are almost the same, regardless of the name on it. None "store" ice,, they just keep making it as it melts or is used.

Jim M

Jim, Thank you for the information and website. Because of the price and reviews on one of the ice makers, I'll be getting one in a couple of months now instead of at the end of summer.

rvn4fun

We have 3 camping friends here in the campground that have portable ice makers so we don't ever have to buy ice. Most everyone I talked to recommends the one from Target for price and performance. I was going to purchase one too, but with friends having so much ice we just buy water for them to use in the icemaker.

sdagro

I'm with Jim on this one. We disconnected the one in the freezer and use the portable one. We love it and would do it again.

DITTO,

We bought the Emerson at Target 3 years ago for $129.00. 2 weeks later went on sale for $99.00. Brought receipt in and was issued a $20.00 refund. Still working great.

Texas-Gal

I love my portable ice maker and just bag the ice in ziplock bags and store it in the freezer. New Key Largo has big fridge w/icemaker, but haven't even tried using it yet because the portable one is so good!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just bought an Emerson at Target. Haven't used it yet but hope to get better service out of it than the ones we have had before.

Love the ice they make.

BC

Just bought an Emerson at Target. Haven't used it yet but hope to get better service out of it than the ones we have had before.

Love the ice they make.

BC

We are using ours now. Makes tons of ice and only cost $109 @ Target. A family member also bought one, when we went camping a few weeks ago ice was not an issue for the drinks and the coolers. Got ours 5 weeks ago when the ice maker line broke-couldn't go very long without it. Now with both going we have plenty of ice for these 90 deg days:)

soilmovers

I love our ice maker but as others mentioned, it does not store the ice. We make it with reverse osmosis water and get nice, clear cubes.

Texans

We bought one and used it this summer on a 7 week trip from South texas to Wasgington D.C. It also does not store ice but it makes upto 7 lbs in 24 hours so I was able to kept the ice bin in the freezer full of ice for the trip. We loved having ice in the freezer and not having to get from the ice chest.

We have owned one for a year or so and would NOT DO without it - WE LOVE it - AS soon as we get to the Campground, the better half sets it up and it takes off. The only time we shut it off is when we go to bed or when we leave for several hours. I have found a place on the desk below the entertainment center and it just stays there out of the way.
Bill And Fran Sanders
and Hobo and Gypsy
2009 Big Country
2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Gerr

We Love ours. bought for $99.00 at Meijers, made by Igloo. Looks just like the one at Camper World. Came in real handy here in Branson when it was a 100 degrees every day in July.

GETnBYE

Jim, Thank you for the information and website. Because of the price and reviews on one of the ice makers, I'll be getting one in a couple of months now instead of at the end of summer.

We also used the website above : got good price and fast delivery. The ice maker has paid for itself already. I don't freeze much of the ice unless I am planning to use it in the cooler for the drive home. I use right out of the maker for drinks or fill coolers up. I love mine.
Note: It does not keep the ice frozen, it will melt over time, but the ice maker continues to make ice so I don't have a problem with it melting. We use a filter pitcher to fill it up just in case we have bad tasting water at a campsite.
Hope that helps.

edit: Sorry, the quotes did not include the first post about compact appliance website.

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

We have a portable icemaker that you don't have to open to retrieve ice, just place glass under the dispenser and there is the ice. No contamination.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

bishop32

Hi all, I just installed a new ice maker. no water is running in it. put the old one back on and it made ice it just wont dump. any ideas about what is wrong with my new one (or the old one).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, I just installed a new ice maker. no water is running in it. put the old one back on and it made ice it just wont dump. any ideas about what is wrong with my new one (or the old one).
Is this a portable ice maker or a built into the refer model?

Peace
Dave

PUG

Pug
Instead of having to have an icemaker that you have to dump water into, being water is on short supply, I purchased an additional freezer to stock up on pizza's pizza's and pizza's so we throw a couple of bags of ice in for the margaritas. Easy to replace at my wife's daily shopping trips to the store, any store, all stores.

All cons from here. We use it all of the time and love it. We bought it when we were at the Goshin rally at a store called meyers for right at 100 dollars and have saved twice that much from buying ice. Took the one out of the freezer so now we have mor freezer spase for the bagged ice