Brand new Focus has to have complete nose rebuilt due to water damage!

jayjean

Hi, I recently purchased a 2011 leftover Focus FX20 (two weeks ago) and found the front window to have a severe leak. It has not rained since we bought it and it finally did the other night. As with all my past new rv's I checked the unit during the rain storm and discovered the leak. The issue is much more than just a little drip...The whole front section of the Focus and front floor area have to be replaced due to the water damage that appears to have been leaking since it left the factory. This was stated to me by my rv dealers service manager. He showed me the front wall was so water logged the you could move the lower front in and out when you press on it (the whole front section below the window) inside and out of the camper. Basically they are going to replace the whole front exterior skin, interior cabinets, front beds and framing etc. What should I do? It sounds like the unit could possibly be totaled?

Thanks Jason

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jason, welcome to the forum. This is great place to get and share information.
Sounds like quite a bit of damage. Wasn't there any water damage visible when you bought it?
Depending on when you bought it, it could be covered under warranty. I believe you have one year.
Did your dealers service guy say anything about warranty?

Peace
Dave

jayjean

Hi Dave,

The Focus is under warranty that is only two weeks old into it. When we did our initial inspection of the unit prior to delivery it looked good and had no signs of the water damage. It hasn't rained in MA for at least a week or greater. When we had the heavy rains the other night I checked the unit and found a pillow on one of the beds to be soaked. So i futher looked into the issue and removed the mattress which was wet, and the wood support under it. Thats when I found the three water trails running down the interior wall and into a lower wall seam. Thats when I found the lower wall to be a sponge and it was all down hill from there. If I didn't press on the wall inside and outside I would have never known it was comprimised. You could litterly move the front exterior about an inch or greater from the outside.
Once it got water logged thats when I observed the waves it the front fiberglass skin and lower inside wall under the bed area. The repair turn around is approx 2-3 months due to the dealer being busy etc. It's going to be a nightmare!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A 2011 was probably built in 2010 or early 2011 meaning it has probably been sitting on the dealer's lot for up to a year or more. It sounds to me like the dealer neglected it. They should be periodically inspecting their inventory (IMHO). The caulking around windows can deteriorate sitting in the sun day after day and needs periodic maintenance/resealing. A quality repair job will make it good as new, but it looks like the onus is on the dealer to get it done. I would stay after them to meet a specific repair time line and when they tell you they are having trouble getting parts, call the factory (numbers on Portal page) and check it out. It is terrible that you have already paid and will now be without your rig for a significant portion of the camping season. A reputable dealer should have it back in as good as or better than new condition. Best wishes.

DMitch

I will pass on the expeience that we had with another brand before we bought our Big Horn. We purchased a very expensive fifth wheel and after the first weekend of use discovered a serious water leak. It was very much the same circumstance that you have. When the unit was tore apart it was full of mold. I had serious reservation then and now wish I had followed my gut feeling. The factory convinced me that it could be fixed so I let them fix it. Seven months later I had to have a repair done and when they took it apart found that an entire section of wall had molded as well. I had them pull down the belly pan and it was a sight to behold. I traded the unit 1 month later. In hind sight I wish I never had it fixed in the beginning. I can tell you that it was an expensive trade. Not tryingg to sway your decision just passing on what a water leak from the factory did to me. Good luck with your unit and I hope you get what will work best for you.

Rmcgrath53

I think I would either demand my money back or compromise with a camper loaner for the amount of time you are without.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I would contact the Factory and get them involved. 2-3 Months is unacceptable - especially since the Rig is only yours for 2 weeks. At least make the brand Manager aware of the issue so they are not out of the loop.

Welcome to the Heartland Family - I do hope this get's ironed out for you to your satisfaction. All I can say is there are great Dealers and there are poor dealers - but Heartland Customer Service is second to none!

Kevin

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jayson,

If you go the Repair Route - Check with the Factory and see if there are any other locations that can make the repair for you - There is a great RV repair center in Auburn MA called RVSRUS. Then are not a dealer - The only do RV Repairs and they do them well. you might want to see if they will do Warranty repairs for Heartland.

IMHO - I would be looking for a new Rig or a Refund since this was most likely Leaking for some time as Gus pointed out.

Kevin