Need 4 new Goodyear G-614s. Anyone just purchase any?

PUG

Pug
Just had another tire failure on the good old factory supplied tires. I am going to sell them to someone with less weight needs and buy a set of four G-614s. What are the best prices you have found? Thanks

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
I looked and looked and finally bought 4 at POMPS for $305 each...then add tax, mounting balancing etc. on that.
POMPS is MN and East with 76 locations. Sorry.... haven't found any in ID.
Gillette will be our 1st long trip with them!

gasman

Camp Socializer
I bought 4 with a G load rating in March from Discount Tire. It was about $1600 out the door. I guess that's cheaper than the side of the trailer!

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Now I'm worried. This seems like a frequent occurrence and a hassle I don't want to deal with. I'm using the new Tapatalk app so I can't see any of your signatures to see what kind of RV you have. Our Big Country is supposed to be ready next week. All the website says about the tires is: Heavy-Duty E-Rated 16” Radial Tires

Is that some I can get the factory to change/upgrade? I have never blown a tire before (knock on wood) and I do not want to start with my 5er!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Now I'm worried. This seems like a frequent occurrence and a hassle I don't want to deal with. I'm using the new Tapatalk app so I can't see any of your signatures to see what kind of RV you have. Our Big Country is supposed to be ready next week. All the website says about the tires is: Heavy-Duty E-Rated 16” Radial Tires

Is that some I can get the factory to change/upgrade? I have never blown a tire before (knock on wood) and I do not want to start with my 5er!

Depending on where your rig is in the production schedule, you may be able to get them changed at the factory to G614's. In the past, 7K axles (which you have) were paired with G-rated tires. Now, using smoke, mirrors and TCE technology, they've started putting E's where G's used to roll. Have your dealer contact HL to make the change.

wdk450

Pug:
I would talk to Les Schwab (I think they are in Idaho). They do not stock, but can order the G614's. They stock the Geostar in the 235/85 R 16 ST tire. Les Schwab has an outstanding reputation for being stand up guys locally and across their entire chain. I remember 1 posting of a HOG member who had spring and tire failures along US 101 in northern Oregon. Les Schwab in Tilamook let them camp behind their store for 3 days and got the rig fixed ASAP.
I plan to buy 3 Geostars this week to go with the 1 had to buy on the road from them last summer. I have confidence in ths brand if they say it is O.K.

Les Schwab is in many communities large and small throughout the West. They generally seem to be good local business citizens supporting local charities and kids athletics. The workers all seem knowlegeable and eager to please.

Last edited:

PUG

Pug
Goodyear G-614

Update: I checked all of the suggestions everyone made and more and after checking about 15 different places I came up with the lowest price I could find. Shopping on line seems by far the least expensive place to purchase. I suggest checking reviews on these places as there are a couple that don't have good reputations.
I ended up purchasing four Goodyear G 614 rst, LT235/85R16s, G rated 14 ply from Discount Tire Direct. They said they will match any price that they can verify. I ended up paying $1,304.44 delivered to Idaho. I will have them mounted and balanced at about $13 per tire. They ranged in price from this to upwards of $1,724.00. It pays to shop. They had to call Goodyear to make sure they were in stock and were so I figure these are not old tires.
Thanks for the input.

TXTiger

Re: Goodyear G-614

Are you putting the Goodyear Tires on the stock rims? Or do you need to buy new rims also to hold the higher tire pressure?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
TwoToes,

It depends on the trailer. The heavier 5vers have wheels that can handle the psi. Our ElkRidge, and I'd suspect anything lighter than 14K GVWR, did not have rims that can handle it. Ours are rated for 80psi max.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?un1gs2
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTiger

I have a deposit on a 2012 Cyclone 4014 triple axel, listed at 18K. I am considering swapping the stock tires for the Goodyear 614. I have been told that the Goodyear 614 have 110 psi and stock tires are rated at only 80 psi. Will I need to swap the rims too, or are the stock rims ok for the Goodyear tires with the higher psi?

jasons09cyclone

From what I heard you can put those tires on aluminum rims but not steel... I've tried to put those g614s on my triple axle but there were to tall and would hit each other so I have to stay with the 80 series tires.

Vtxkid

If you were running 80 psi in your original tires then you can run the 614's with 80 psi also on the same rims. It is not necessary to run 110 psi just because the 614's can handle it. If you were running 2 axle's with a RV max weight of 18,000 and the rims are marked to handle 110 psi then you should run that pressure.

jnbhobe

If you would have to buy wheels it would be cheeper to go to 17.5 wheels and tires and have better availability.