Any experience with Spartan tuner and DPF delete?

Bksvo

I'm considering installing the Spartan tuner and deleting the DPF (2008 F-350 6.4L). Hoping to get better mileage and increase longevity. I hate seeing that filter run...Truck has 110k miles on it, so I'm not concerned with the warranty. Any experience positive or negative would be appreciated.

MC9

I can't speak for Spartan tuners. But, ON the Ford truck site Everyone raves about Mike Butler at 5 Star. He is a Ford pro. They do SCT tuners. Call 843-250-0499. He will give you the straight info. My SCT X3 arrives tomorrow.

Sandpirate69

Can't say about anyhting about that particular tuner. I have a Duramax & I run the EFI Live 90HP tune with optional 145 hp switch. I did delete the DPF & blocked the EGR & re-routed the EGR. Honestly, i'm getting an extra 1.5 (hand calculated) MPG . I did store all my parts in case we go back to emissions inspection in Florida.

Ivan

Last edited:

brianharrison

Nope - no experience here either - however I am leaning toward the Spartan tuner. I beleive Spartan ONLY does Fords - some comfort they are dedicated to making their product the best it can be - because they selll to no other markets.

Link to Ford-Trucks forum on Spartan/DPF delete thread.

I have researched a bit and I hear the Spartan may be a bit better as they also mod the tranny shift points, etc to match the engine reflash. Not every tuner does this.

Hope this helps.

Brian

dalspot

Check out innovativediesel.com too. Eric gets excellent reviews on the Ford forums. SCT tuner. It's what we have with the dpf delete pipe.

Karen

Bksvo

Well, I ordered one today. I'll be installing it next week and let you all know my impressions.

MC9

Received my 5 Star Tuner with 3 custom tunes yesterday. Ran it first without and then with the 87 octane performance tow tune. I am now another one of those V-10 owners with a permanent BSEG...

Bksvo

I installed this today. It was easy to do and the display is excellent. I decide to keep the DPF on for now. I have 20k miles left on the extended warranty. My DW will be out on her own for 6 weeks this summer, and I don't want her to have to deal with reinstalling the DPF if she has to take it into the dealer for service.

I set up the 150hp tune (the biggest you can do with the DPF). We'll be towing up from Phoenix to Flagstaff this weekend, so I should get a good feel for how it will do on some pretty steep grades.

Bksvo

The truck ran great. I was able to tow up/down 6% grades without any problems, probably 5-10 mph faster than before, with no problems with temps (I'm actively monitoring engine coolant and oil temp, exhaust temp, and transmission fluid temp). My fuel mileage appears to have improved by ~10% over previous trips to the same campsite, but there are so many variables it's hard to quantify that at this point.

I still hate that DPF and watching the fuel mileage dump when it runs. I look forward to removing it.

Bksvo

Thought I'd continue to pass along my experiences. I'm very pleased with the Spartan tuner. We towed 8k miles with it this summer through all kinds of terrain and weather. The power was great and the temps were all nicely within limits. Having the digital guages gave nice piece of mind towing up some very steep grades.

I removed the DPF yesterday, and loaded the 250hp tune. I do get a little black smoke now if I step on it, which I won't be doing because the truck has massive power. I'm running that tune because I was told the hotter the tune the better the fuel mileage. My initial observation is fuel mileage has improved ~40%, but I'll update you all when I have more miles and experience with it.

brianharrison

The power was great and the temps were all nicely within limits. Having the digital guages gave nice piece of mind towing up some very steep grades.

....I was told the hotter the tune the better the fuel mileage. My initial observation is fuel mileage has improved ~40%, but I'll update you all when I have more miles and experience with it.

I am interested in hearing your experiences longer term...... I would be surprised at a 40% increase in fuel mileage, but leaning out the diesel (hotter tune) does increase mileage, expecially ditching the DPF (I too hate that thing....)

The digital gauges are a great addition and watching temps is key. However I was warned that you can still be in temperature limits and overstress mechanical parts (stretch head bolts) if you run too high of a tune and load the engine. My thoughts.....

Brian

Bksvo

The temps actually seemed to be better than the stock tune when towing. I'm not sure what Spartan is doing, but I like it. The EGT doesn't come close to a limit, and the coolant, oil and trans temps run as you would expect - pretty much identical to the stock tune. I know my wife (who tows without me for a month in the summer) felt much better seeing the temps and it wouldn't freak her out when the clutch fan engaged towing up steep grades.

I did a lot of checking on various Ford forums before buying. There are many folks who've been running these for 80k+ miles without problems. I of course won't be running this hot of a tune when towing. Spartan has a DPF delete 210hp tune they designed for towing. I'll be trying that in a few weeks. Ultimately, I wasn't looking for more power, but better fuel mileage and longevity of the motor and drivetrain. There isn't a single positive thing about that DPF, as far as the long term health of my truck (and my pocketbook) are concerned.

caissiel

As for fuel mileage, I use a Scangauge for fuel mileage indicator and I have to calibrate it for all 3 power setup of my Hypertech programer. And the more power setup the larger the calibration needs to be. Up to 37% on 125 HP power level.
And its true the more power loaded in the better fuel economy, and the towing mileage is great because I can tow with no more then 10PSI turbo pressure, any more then that the mileage suffers greatly, so more available power, the more you can keep the pressure lower for economy and pull the same speed and weight.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The temps actually seemed to be better than the stock tune when towing. I'm not sure what Spartan is doing, but I like it. The EGT doesn't come close to a limit, and the coolant, oil and trans temps run as you would expect - pretty much identical to the stock tune. I know my wife (who tows without me for a month in the summer) felt much better seeing the temps and it wouldn't freak her out when the clutch fan engaged towing up steep grades.

I did a lot of checking on various Ford forums before buying. There are many folks who've been running these for 80k+ miles without problems. I of course won't be running this hot of a tune when towing. Spartan has a DPF delete 210hp tune they designed for towing. I'll be trying that in a few weeks. Ultimately, I wasn't looking for more power, but better fuel mileage and longevity of the motor and drivetrain. There isn't a single positive thing about that DPF, as far as the long term health of my truck (and my pocketbook) are concerned.

I guess different trucks different outcomes. Last month my brother in law had the Spartan put on his truck. DPF/EGR Deleted, 5" Exhaust, and CAI. I got to play around with his pickup a little while on the 210hp tune. His gets hot quick, EGT's and Coolant. In no time the coolant was up to 225* and it was pretty easy to hit 1500-1600 degrees on his pickup. This is a 08 3/4t 4dr 4wd SB.

With that being said I would choose Spartan for a Ford 6.4 or H&S. Not a fan of the SCT guys so much, they seem to have a harder time keeping a Head Gasket with those tunes.

Bksvo

I guess different trucks different outcomes. Last month my brother in law had the Spartan put on his truck. DPF/EGR Deleted, 5" Exhaust, and CAI. I got to play around with his pickup a little while on the 210hp tune. His gets hot quick, EGT's and Coolant. In no time the coolant was up to 225* and it was pretty easy to hit 1500-1600 degrees on his pickup. This is a 08 3/4t 4dr 4wd SB.

With that being said I would choose Spartan for a Ford 6.4 or H&S. Not a fan of the SCT guys so much, they seem to have a harder time keeping a Head Gasket with those tunes.

Wow, not my experience at all. I really like the 210hp tune (smooth shift when not in tow tune, little smoke), but mine stays nice and cool. My EGTs rarely exceed 1200 on a strong uphill pull. Coolant in the normal range (200) and oil also right at 210. On a 6% grade last weekend I had to work to keep my foot out of it, and it still towed up the grade at 50 mph. The fan clutch never even came on, the coolant climbed up to 220 and the oil to 240, but as soon as I was over the grade it fell back down.

Now, I do baby it and don't try to drag race it or anything like that.