To delete or not delete (DPF/EGR)

mckinney1

My first post here to see if I can get approved haha.

I have a 2015 F-250 diesel and have just chosen to delete mine. After 2 times in the shop, towed once and only 15K on the truck. I can't deal with that!

mckinney1

You won't regret it. :cool:

I hope your right, my concerns are emissions and warranty. We have emissions here where I live but when I got the truck I registered it at my old house that I sold where there are no emissions. Going to try to keep it there as long as I can!

Goodies should show up to the house tomorrow!! Just need to find time to get them installed

dave10a

The EGR delete by itself will extend the life of your engine because all that soot that is caused by recirculation of the exhaust will not contaminate the oil as fast. The DPF and SCR delete will improve its performance and fuel economy and operating expense. It should be noted that deleting these items are against the law and if you have a third party do it, they most likely will require you to sign a document. I have been thinking about doing those deletes, but I decided not to for legal and payback reasons. Also, I think my truck as is will provide the performance and reliability I expect with proper maintenance. BTY Ford extended their factory warranty on my truck on the EGR to minimize expense on premature failure-- a nice gesture on their part.

Jim.Allison

To the OP, no-one knows engineering like the OEM, It takes a gallon of fuel to tow a large travel trailer 10 miles, I don't care what you do, there is only so much energy in 1 gallon of diesel, and there is X amount of energy required to pull the whole rig 10 miles. Your question was "is it worth 3K to achieve more mileage?" First, you have to determine how much more mileage you are DEFINITELY going to achieve. The answer (IMHO) is NONE in all probability. But let's say you get 10% more, that is one mile per gallon more. Somehow I don't think the math is going to work out for you. 25 to 30K pounds going down the road is going to get 10-12 and not much more or less. $3K is not going to change the energy equations involved. You might, however, look at diff ratios for a cheaper more reliable result. If 4X4 perhaps lock outs would be potential energy saving, perhaps tires, both size, and style. You might want to take advantage of lubricants that reduce friction, I might look at the intake system and free up the breathing a little. If you have your oil analyzed you might save on oil changes reducing total operating cost. Anything but spending $3k on an extra (maybe) 1-3 mpg increase or potentially an unknown decrease in MPG.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I guess another way to look at this is from personal experience, My 11 Ram lost 5 mpg after the dealer flashed the truck on a service call. When asking what happened, they explained it was an EPA requirement. After I deleted the truck I gained that all back and more, not to mention how much better the truck ran. Now it would have been easier to just have the computer program changed, but no one could do it that I could find.
So in this case reviewing the one gallon of fuel scenario per energy output, doesn't fit as MPG was hampered by an OEM computer program! The delete also gave me a 3 mpg improvement in towing as well.
At the time I was only towing less than 10% of my total miles, so the other improvement was definitely worth the delete in gaining well over 5 mpg back for the 90% of the miles driven.

The new tuners/programmers have radically changed in the last couple of years. Now you don't have to delete to make the gains of 4-5 mpg. Example is the Smarty Soft Touch. Everything is left stock in the vehicle, two pieces of equipment are required at a total cost of about $1100. It works off your OBD in a roundabout way and is allegedly not detectable or very difficult to detect on a dealer flash check once the program goes back to stock and the tuner is removed.

I have a 16 Ram the same dealer recently flashed the new truck. again it lost 4 mpg not towing. I will at a later time consider this new tuner and the payback for the initial outlay is around 8,000 miles before you break even, if you get 4-5 mpg return. I currently drive under tow about 15-20% of my total miles, so this would be a big improvement in fuel savings when not under tow. I don't think I would do it for just towing as I agree, you are only going to tweak your truck so far pulling all that weight.

Just food for thought.

fastcarsspeed

I just want to note that these trucks come from the factory without DEF in Mexico. I waited until 100k to delete and glad I did. my egr started to clog and between replacing the EGR cooler and my dpf filter showing age I opted for 1500.00 in parts. I went with a 6" stainless dp back exhaust with a muffler to tone the sound down and then went with the SCT X4 and Gearhead tunes. I run the tow tune most of the time and love how the truck responds and sounds.

alexb2000

I just towed 750 miles with my bone stock 16' F250 across mountains in NM, CO, and WY. I averaged 10.2 hand calced at 65-75 MPH.

I've tracked towing mileage across all of my trucks from all three brands and this is as good as any has ever done. I've owned plenty of pre-emission trucks as well.

The ONLY thing I have found that significantly increases mileage is slowing down, but I don't want to be the guy going 55 on a two lane highway with a mile of traffic behind trying furiously to pass at any opening.

avvidclif

I just towed 750 miles with my bone stock 16' F250 across mountains in NM, CO, and WY. I averaged 10.2 hand calced at 65-75 MPH.

I've tracked towing mileage across all of my trucks from all three brands and this is as good as any has ever done. I've owned plenty of pre-emission trucks as well.

The ONLY thing I have found that significantly increases mileage is slowing down, but I don't want to be the guy going 55 on a two lane highway with a mile of traffic behind trying furiously to pass at any opening.

All I can say is make sure your trailer tires are rated for that speed, most ST tires are rated for 65 MPH. It will be on the tires.

DocMartin

On my 2014 Duramax I deleted it at 35k and across the board I got 2-4mpg improvement. It cost me a tick over $1000 to do it. The turbo back 4 inch exhaust and a Motor Ops tune. Truck ran like a scaulded cat! The good thing about this tuner is that I'm now using it on my 2016 with the emission compliment tunes and when I delete, I pay $100 for the deleted tunes, load them on the handheld to flash the truck and just buy a turbo back exhaust for this truck.

alexb2000

All I can say is make sure your trailer tires are rated for that speed, most ST tires are rated for 65 MPH. It will be on the tires.

Agreed, first thing I did when I got the trailer home was take off the new Blowmax tires and put on G614's.

If you read this forum it would be crazy to keep the stock tires.

lynndiwagoner

I suspect that if you keep the old stuff you wouldn't have a problem selling on the used market....probably in demand. With the current leadership, I'm not sure I would even talk about it.