Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 bighorn silverado problem

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: 2012 bighorn silverado problem

Sounds like everthing is working out. Ernie

2. Print this Post   #12

what floor plan do you have and have you owned other units before this one. i am just asking to see how you think the quality stacks up against other units.

3. Print this Post   #13

we have the 33rl never owned a camper in my life we really like having a fithwheel have went on two trips and have had problems with the sink falling out the mirriors breaking air doesnt keep up at all in 80 degree weather fridge wont stay cold vent cap on roof blew off you cant hear the tv over the air conditioner when you open the slides the seals fall off we are already thinking of trading im afraid if i take it in for warranty work and to pay another 1000 for the extra air for the bed room that i wont see the rv for another 6-8 weeks that how long i waited for a mirrior you know the air wont even cool the living room under a shade treeforgot bathroom door wont shut correct we stayed by the beach didnt even open the storage doors but the storage compartments are full of sand trailer pulls great i just dont think the quailty is there to demand such high prices they came down on price 500 but the hitch cost 3000 grand

4. Print this Post   #14

Wow! I recently joined these forums to research on some products. I was close to get a Torque Toy Hauler, but after some discussions with the wife, we have spent a few days driving around and visiting RV dealers. We really liked the Silverado 36TB!
    Being new to RV (never owned one) I wonder why I read many complaints about "cheap" build quality, on the Silverados?
    I mean, we saw many, many "cheaper" (This is being absolutely relative/suggestive) quality/build models… even from Heartland RVs.

Not sure if many are "used to" much more luxuries, but I feel the 36TB has a lot of we want in an RV.
    Of course, I can be way off, and possibly after my first experience, I would find out what many complaints about.

This being said, I am really worried I have a similar experience with whatever we decide to purchase?
    Are these type of flaws normal/expected?

5. Print this Post   #15

The word cheap can mean different things to different people.
    I think that in this case cheap is used to describe lesser quality materials.
    There may be plastic sinks in place of a stainless or ceramic type of sink.
    There may be particle board cabinetry rather than solid hardwood.
    The use of the lesser quality materials translates to lower cost to the consumer. The price ranges of these RV's reflect that.
    Some people expect a $80,000 for $10,000 and when that don't happen they call it cheap.
    So manufacturers try to build these rigs to suit a wide range of budgets.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #16
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

The dealer also makes a difference, they are supposed to do a PDI and check the unit to make sure there are no issues before turning it over to the customer. Some do this well... others, don't do it at all, putting the burden on the consumer to discover them and come back for service. This, sadly causes a poor reflection on the manufacturer.

If one looks at a trailer as a very cheap house, rather than a very expensive vehicle, the perspective and expectation will be much different.
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

7. Print this Post   #17

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Some people expect a $80,000 for $10,000 and when that don't happen they call it cheap.
    So manufacturers try to build these rigs to suit a wide range of budgets.

Dave
    Exactly what I meant! - OK, I can live with how "cheap" the Silverado 36TB is for me. LOL
    Also, the layout is absolutely perfect for us.

@TravelTiger: The dealer I plan on buying it from told me to give them two days, so they can run AC and everything else for a full 24hrs before handing it over to me for first use. I took that as a very nice gesture and taking care of the customer.

BTW - I see it as a very cheap house… hope I am looking at it the correct way.

Thanks for all the great comments.

8. Print this Post   #18

i think in life you should pay for what you get and get what you pay for as far as people wanting a $80000 rv for $10000 anyone would but i spent $50000 and i expected a $50000 trailer as far as the dealer and there pdi they said they ran air 24 hrs and went over everything i call bs on that they told us they would go over everything with us it would take about 2 hrs yeah right they took 15 min of there time to show us that everything that worked of battery i have a perfect floor plan but none of that matters if you cant use it when its hot out or you cant drive down the road when it wet the slides leak you cant watch tv when the air is on you cant hear the tv bathroom door wont stay closed shower leaks i hope i lke my next one more than this one

9. Print this Post   #19

N2snow2, I do not think anything that anyone would say or do would make you happy. But I am sorry you feel the way you do. You said this was your first RV. You bought a mid-price range RV and one that is made for a price point. Therefore, you have not been down the road of how the RV industry works. The biggest thing thing I see is your dealer is talking a lot and not doing much for you. I grew up camping with my family. All the A/C units in trailers are loud and make it hard to watch TV. On my last fifth wheel and on my BH, I had to have the showers resealed because they leaked a bit. As far as the the slide leaks, sometimes the seals do not move in or out all the way, you need to look at them. If the bathroom door will not stay closed, I would bet the latch needs a small adjustment. In keeping the fifth wheel cool or hot, insulation is the key. I have had no problem with the way the A/C works on my BH, but others have made a tent mod to theirs. You can find it on the forum. Regarding the sand in the storage compartments, they are not air tight. Wind blows, and sand goes everywhere. Ernie

10. Print this Post   #20

i spent $50000 and i expected a $50000 trailer
    Hi n2snow2,
    $50,000 is a lot of money to anyone and it's quite reasonable to expect a purchase like this to meet your expectations. But as many of us have found, the road is not without bumps on the way.

We've got a large unit with 2 A/C units and still had to do some mods to get better cooling. We often camp in 100+ weather with direct sun and we'll probably add window awnings next year to help some more. The A/C units are very noisy and I had to figure out how to get the satellite and over-the-air TV sound into the surround sound so we could hear it better.

A lot of people camp in more moderate conditions and never have to deal with these issues. The rest of us figure out how to adapt so we can enjoy our time out and about.

We've also had our share of things that needed to be adjusted or replaced. I'm happy with the dealer service people we use, but I will also admit that they don't always get it right the first time. I share information with them with a goal of improving the odds of success the first time. Getting some of the parts we've needed has taken a lot longer than I'd like, but I also understand the process and why it takes that long. I don't like it, but I've come to terms with it.

We really enjoy our rig and have never let short-lived problems steal our joy. They're just problems waiting to be solved. Sometimes we have to make adjustments to get past a problem, but we have a good time anyway. Eventually everything gets resolved.

I'd encourage you to work with your dealer and with Heartland Customer Service on clearing up the things that are giving you a problem. You're entitled to have a rig that works and I'm sure you can get there.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS