Slide Seals

bigdob24

I have noticed on the slide seals on two of my three Sundances that the seals don't roll out when the slide is extended
on my new 277RL the closet slides weather seals don't roll out when it's extended.
in the past I have used a urethane caulk and layed a bead across the surface and when set up it was enough to roll the seal out
do you think I need to do this or do they just not leak as is from the factory
you would think this would not be a problem if the factory lets it out
i would guess they inspect units before letting them out
anyone have any leaks that were fixed after the seals rolled out
Dan

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just use an awning pull down rod to flex the side seals out. If I feel frisky, I'll get on a ladder and do the top ones, too, but the slide toppers take care of that area.

Some folks have attached sections of automotive trim on the slides to help flex the seals in/out.

bigdob24

Seems to be a common flaw that does not get fixed.
i will put a bead of caulk down the sides and across the top and see if this is enough of a bump to roll them out.
thanks for the reply
Dan

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just use an awning pull down rod to flex the side seals out. If I feel frisky, I'll get on a ladder and do the top ones, too, but the slide toppers take care of that area.

Some folks have attached sections of automotive trim on the slides to help flex the seals in/out.

John, That's not a bad idea. Do you mean those strips like you put along the door to prevent door dings?

I also use the awning rod when they do get folded. Trace

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't have an awning rod since my awning is automatic. Been trying to come up with something to flip those seals.... One thing I noticed is if I stop and start the slide while extending it, the seals may not deploy correctly. If I start and let it go fully out, the seals will usually flip like they are supposed to..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had an extra rod from our TT, so I kept it, along with a spare awning strap. Remnants of having to get the entire awning replaced. Never know...if the motor quits while extended, it'll come in handy getting it rolled up without riding the roller.

The trim strips, I believe, are the thin ones they put on car doors to prevent dings. If I recall the posts, they put them on in a chevron pattern to help flip the seals.

CactusTwo

I bought an awning pull down rod at the RV parts store, less than $15 because I too have an automatic awning. I bent the end a bit and also use it to unlock and lock the stove fan vent as well as the slide seals. Once the seals have been pulled out and the sun warms them up they will start to pop out on their own