Thread: New Member and new to camping

1. Print this Post   #1

New Member and new to camping

I have been searching like crazy for the best overall fifth wheel camper for our price range and kids. It seems the Greystone the 34QB fills our needs. I wanted to get some input from current owners of Greystone as to any comments good or bad about this fifth wheel. I will be towing it with 2012 Ram 2500 HD CTD CC. I think the truck will be great for this size camper. However, being new to camping. I have purchased a Pullrite superglide 18K hitch. Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to any comments.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: New Member and new to camping

Hi ncrzrbk,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friend, helpful people.

Finding the rig that is exactly right for you can be daunting, but it sounds like you're there. I'm sure other owners will jump in pretty quickly with their thoughts.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Hey ncrzrbk

Great to have another Greystone owner! I have a 33 QS which is pretty similar to the 34 QB. I pull mine with a 2500 HD Duramax and it pulls great. I purchased mine in September and have pulled it to TN from Ohio 3 times and so far no issues. Read thru your owners manuals there is a lot of great info as well as this forum is loaded with info and insight from seasoned RV'ers. Probably the most critical thing is keeping on top of your tires air pressure etc..there is a long thread related to blow outs that if you are like me never paid too much attention to the tires it will scare you straight!! lol..
    i hope you enjoy!!

Keith & Kim
    Celina, OH

Go Vols!!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax SRW
    2018 Big Horn 3575 EL

4. Print this Post   #4

Thanks for the comments. We are probably still a couple of months away from purchasing but I think I have it narrowed down to the 34QB. We are going to look at it this weekend in Ringold,Va. The dealer is only about an hour from our home and looking forward to actually seeing the fifth wheel. I haven't camped since I was a kid and had a lot of fond memories of my days. I hope to pass some of this along to my children as well. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences and the overall quality of the Greystone. From what I have read, and as I said, I have read loads of information about fifth wheels. This one seems to be in our price range and gives us the floor plan we are looking for.

5. Print this Post   #5

If you are getting close to buying . . .
    Learn everything you can a bout the "Pre-Delivery Inspection" done by YOU and representatives of the dealership. Search that term on this forum.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but talk to your dealership about desired added options, whether listed by Heartland, or just available on the RV parts market and installed by the dealership. Things like premium tires (have the tires balanced by a tire shop after delivery), upgraded shock isolating pinbox, upgraded suspension components (NeverFail bushings, better equalizers or TrailAir CenterPoint or MorRyde IS), Electrical Management System (like Progressive) that will keep your electrical stuff from burning out due to a faulty RV park electrical feed. All this stuff (and more that other forum members will suggest) will be relatively painless to roll into a monthly payment, but hard to come up with the money and time to do once you have taken possession of the rig.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

Stuck in Porterville, Ca. Caring for my 2 elderly sisters

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

6. Print this Post   #6
    Perfict Senior Member westxsrt10's Avatar

Be sure and check the payload chart, it appears you may be overload on pin weight.
    http://fifthwheelst.com/tow-rating.htm
    09 Sundance XLT 287RL, (SOLD and missed)
    08 Ford F-250 CC Lariat 4x4 V10, FS air bags, SCT tunes @5StarTuning.com
    10 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab
    08 Dodge Viper coupe SRT-10
    2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H with 2014 Jeep Patriot toad.

7. Print this Post   #7
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

If you order a coach, then by all means up grade the tires. I would also up grade the axles and brakes. They are alot cheaper from HL than on the street. I recommend the GY G614's. Also get the electric cord reel, 2nd A/C and 2 fantasic fans...one in the stool room and one in the living area. All JMHO
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

8. Print this Post   #8

That has been one of my concerns on this unit. The pin weight shows 1,950lbs plus the superglide is around 275lbs. I will be pretty close to the max on payload but I think I am ok on the GCWR. Unless I am missing something. I know there are so many variations that come into play with pin weight and payloads. I have heard that I can add air bags to help with raising the rear axle so the trailer pulls level. I appreciate all the comments and any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by westxsrt10 View Post
    Be sure and check the payload chart, it appears you may be overload on pin weight.
    http://fifthwheelst.com/tow-rating.htm