Need Help Converting From 12 Volt To 6 Volt Batteries In My BH

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I got two 6 volt sealed batteries from a friend recently, which I intended to install in series, replacing my 12 volt batteries. (Later add a solar panel, or two.) I had this setup on a SOB and it worked well.

My question is, does anyone know if the two 12 volt batteries in my BH are in straight parallel, or are they isolated from each other somehow, charge-wise, or otherwise? (I also have an onboard Onan 5500)

When I install my 6 volt batteries in series, I would like to know if I can just loop all positive and negative leads together on a binding post regardless of which battery it is from.

Even with a meter it's hard to tell what is going on because they are in two different compartments. One is under the hydraulics and the other near the generator.

Second question;
A friend suggested that the second battery may be a generator dedicated start battery.

If this is the case, I would prefer to replace only my house battery with the two 6 volts in series and leave the 12 volt gen. start battery.

If they are isolated as suggested ,presumably so the house lights, etc., can not kill the genny start battery, would this be an acceptable arrangement?

I know if they are not isolated, I would not want to mix different batteries on the same circuit.Thanks, Trace

Last edited: