Leveling a 5th Wheel Side to Side

We are new to RVing. We just bought a new 3270 RES. I am looking for some direction on how to level the unit side to side. The tech at the dealership told me once the unit is parked, jack up the wheels until the unit is level then place as many boards under the wheels as necessary. Nothing I read on line suggests that I jack up the unit.

Also, I have electric front jacks. Once the unit is level - if the front jacks are not quite level (say one is 1/4" shorter than the other) can I just keep extending the jacks until they are both firm on the ground and the unit is level front to back. Or do both front jacks have to be touching the ground or blocks before I extend them to level front to back.

Any help for this novice will be appriciated.

Thanks Joe

MTPockets

We put the 5th wheel where we want it on hte site then look at the bubble leveller I placed above the front storage door. That tells me if I need to level up and which side. I then place the necessary boards or levelling blocks on the side that needs to be raised, then pull forward onto the boards. (You'll get good at knowing how many blocks so you only do it once.) When you are level side to side, block the wheels, lower your legs and disconnect the truck.... you can then adjust the unit so you are level front to back. I use a second bubble leveller on the side of the unit near the switch - that way I can operate the electric swith and see the bubble 'til it's level.

jnbhobe

For side to side leveling you have to place boards under the tires to get level, then pull the pins to drop your front jacks till they are both about the same distance from the ground then use the power jacks to level front to rear.

aatauses

Others have said to put blocking under your tires for side to side and that is the way we do ours---it is easier on you and your truck to pull onto the blocking rather than backing on. You ask then about your jacks---having them within a 1/2" or so and you should not have any issue---you may see one stop going down until the other "catches" up"--this is normal.
al

jnbhobe

Others have said to put blocking under your tires for side to side and that is the way we do ours---it is easier on you and your truck to pull onto the blocking rather than backing on. You ask then about your jacks---having them within a 1/2" or so and you should not have any issue---you may see one stop going down until the other "catches" up"--this is normal.
al

He says his front jacks are electric, so he will have to even them out before lifting the rig, so the front will stay level and not twist the frame. (I missed the part about 1/2" or so, that will be fine.)

convert

Reginald Hromek
What works every time for me. Purchase 2 Hopkins graduated levels from walmart or a rv dealer, very inexpensive. First level the rv side to side with a 2 or 4 ft level inside the coachon the floor on the hard surface, using boards onder the wheels for side to side and the jacks front to rear, this has to be done by trial and error the first time. when the rig is level paste the levels on the side of the rig where your jack control is. put one on the front corner and the other on the side near the corner ,with the bubble centered in the level, make sure it is centered because when the level touches the rig it will be very difficult to remove. once this is done the next time you set up when the rig is parked, just look at the front level find whch line lines up with the center of the bubble. for example if the line goes to #4 divide the # by 2. then 2 will be the # of inches needed under the low side wheels. simple and works every time. these levels are small about 4-5 inches long.when the #of inches are determined back up thre rig, place the boards on the ground, and pull up onto them. DONE

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The one thing to remember about the front jacks is if there is a difference between the two relative to the distance they have to drop, one jack may need to be dropped further than the other (by releasing the retainer pin) before you engage the motor. You may also find that some blocking is needed under one of them. This problem may occur on uneven, dirt/grass/gravel sites that have seen a lot of use, or have ruts in them. The standard single motor, cross-connected electric jacks do not operate independently. If one makes solid contact too much before the other, you may have a problem.

A 1/4" difference might not be a big deal, but much more than that and you risk twisting the frame. An alternative is to scrape out the high side under the pad to match the other side.

Thanks for your responses. I was just uncomfortable when I was told to "jack" up the tires to place the boards. I am going out to buy some lumber so I can make a couple of different length boards.

Joe

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Leveling a 5th MWheel Side to Side

We put the 5th wheel where we want it on hte site then look at the bubble leveller I placed above the front storage door. That tells me if I need to level up and which side. I then place the necessary boards or levelling blocks on the side that needs to be raised, then pull forward onto the boards. (You'll get good at knowing how many blocks so you only do it once.) When you are level side to side, block the wheels, lower your legs and disconnect the truck.... you can then adjust the unit so you are level front to back. I use a second bubble leveller on the side of the unit near the switch - that way I can operate the electric swith and see the bubble 'til it's level.

Ditto. The only thing different we do is we put a small board under each front leg to keep it from sinking into the ground or asphalt. Also if the site is too ridiculous we ask for another site which is more level. Believe me the RV parks know which sites are level and which are not. Sometimes they will try to give the unlevel sites to 'rookie' rvers. Remember you are paying for the site get one which you like. Most parks will move you without any problems cause they want 'Happy Campers'.

jejinks

In lieu of wood, which cracks/breaks and is combersome to store, you may want to purchase leveling pads sold at Camping World or other retailers (even Wal-Mart) for under the tires. They work well even in rock drives.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What jejinks said. Get the orange or yellow ones. They are like lego's. You can build them up in sections to drive up on. I always carry short pieces of 4X10's for the front jacks and rear jacks. When you get the coach level, put the lumber under the front jacks and pull the pins. They will almost self level by themselves.

blkdodge

I get into the space, raise 5vr off truck.. Pull truck out of the way.... push the auto level button on the control pad... grab a BEER and let it level itself. :cool:

hillsonwheels

blkdodge....that's not nice to say to a new 5'er owner!!! But, that's exactly the same way I do it!! :cool::cool:

Don't believe that salesman was the sharpest knife in the drawer? Jack up the wheels???

Dick

Birchwood

Listen to the tech at the rV dealership.A jack that will level your RV are only available on $300 k motorhomes

mlburst1

Joe,

The rear wheel leveling advice in the previous posts are excellent but I'd suggest a different solution to the front landing gear legs.

I installed an adjustable leg foot on the street side landing gear leg - http://winfieldrvproducts.com/LANDING_LEG_FOOT.html

By adjusting the front legs to touch the ground equally, frame twisting is eliminated.

Fast and easy install and use.

Good luck,

Mike

happykraut

On the four fivers that I've owned, I always mounted a kingpin level on the kingpin box. That way I can see if I'm level side to side without getting out of my truck. I use two ramps, one under each wheel, that way I can watch my kingpin level as I pull up on the ramps for a center bubble. I never need to get out of my truck.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Happykraut: "someone" has to get out of the truck to get the boards out and lay them down for you to drive up on....:p, gosh, who could that be??

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I have been using Level-lites available from Mobile Outfitters since Gillette Rally. Makes it so easy. One above kingpin box and one on side near switch. Love it.

Wharton

We find that most sites, at least for overnight, are level "enough". The site we are in for 3 months is level also. We rarely find off-level sites in commercial cgs. In 3 months on the road we pulled out our boards maybe 3 times.