Thread: what kind of hydraulic fluid

1. Print this Post   #1

what kind of hydraulic fluid

I was just trying to find out what kind of hydraulic fliud i should use in a 2012 cyclone front landing gear i would like to keep some extra. Also with slides out the hydo fluid bottle is below have is there a fill line on the bottle thxs for help

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: what kind of hydraulic fluid

Hi sanbullet: I would expect that you have Lippert components in your Cyclone. I use a Dexron VI Auto Transmission fluid from O'Reilly's Auto parts. You should be able to find auto-trans fluid at about any auto-parts store. The following is a reprint from the Lippert Components 5th wheel hydraulic slideout and landing gear system service manual. This should give you the info you are looking for. gbills.

The
    Lippert Hydraulic Slideout and HLG System uses automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Any ATF can be used. A full synthetic or synthetic blend works best such as Dexron II, Dexron III or Mercon 5. For best operation, fill system within 1” of the top when all slideouts and landing gear are completely retracted. The see through reservoir makes it easy to check oil level. It is recommended that the oil level be checked prior to operating the system. Make sure the breather cap is free of contamination before removing, replacing or installing. In colder temperatures (less than 10° F) the cylinders and jacks may extend and retract slowly due to the fluid’s molecular nature. For cold weather operation, fluid specially formulated for low temperatures may be desirable.

3. Print this Post   #3
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

We use the Dexron VI Auto Transmission fluid also as per Lippert instructions.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

4. Print this Post   #4
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Your bottle will be low when the slides are out. Dont add any fluid, cause you can overfill the bottle.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

5. Print this Post   #5
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

I marked my reservoir levels with a Sharpie soon after I got the rig, both slides in and out. Easy visual check for any fluid loss that doesn't immediately show itself.
    Only leak I've had was minor one at a seal on a slide selector valve at the pump.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225