Thread: Got my first ding.

1. Print this Post   #1

Got my first ding.

Setting up in a campground and noticed a ding on the lower right rear corner. I know it wasn't there this morning. ...I stopped at a Wal-Mart and then drove to a campground. I sure didn't know I hit anything. Whatever hit it was red. Didn't make a hole all the way through but a nasty scrape about 2 inches in diameter. Guess I'll be contacting my insurance co.
    Don and Joyce
    2012 Big Country 3450TS - SOLD
    2011 F350 Dually Diesel
    Twin Honda 2000's
    [B]2012 Missouri Rally, Hannibal
    2013 National Rally, Goshen - Iowa Rally, Amana
    2014 Arkansas Rally, Mountain View - Central Regional Rally, Amana, IA
    2015 North Texas Rally, Santo - National Rally, Goshen - Missouri Rally, Carthage
    2017 Oklahoma Rally, Vinata, Arkansas Rally, Mountain View, Missouri Rally, Branson
    2018 Oklahoma Eufala, South Central Regional Rally Branson, MO, Mississippi rally, Belden
    2019 Louisiana Rally, Natchitoches,
    [/B

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Got my first ding.

Ouch! First one always hurts, I just consider it a christening (doesn't help the ego much though). Sounds like maybe you touched a concrete pole somewhere. Is it too bad to buff out? Maybe stick a decal over it... Hate turning in little stuff to insurance companies. Picture? Good luck!
    Bret, Sandie and Sara (our RV Terrier)

1998 Safari Trek Motor Home

2015 AZ chapter rally - Quartzsite
    2012 National Rally - Gillette, Wyoming / 2012 Regional Rally -Cody,Wyoming
    2013 NT chapter rally - Santo, Tx. / NT chapter rally - Canton, Tx. / NT chapter rally - Beaumont, Tx.
    2013 National Rally - Goshen, Indiana
    2011 North Trail 21 fbs (SOLD)
    2014 Bighorn 3570RS (SOLD)
    2012 Ram 3500 (SOLD)

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Maybe someone ran a cart into your rig? We need pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

4. Print this Post   #4

I'm not at home and don't have my camera. Pictures will have to wait until next week. Don't think it was a pole because it is on the bottom going around the curve.
    Don and Joyce
    2012 Big Country 3450TS - SOLD
    2011 F350 Dually Diesel
    Twin Honda 2000's
    [B]2012 Missouri Rally, Hannibal
    2013 National Rally, Goshen - Iowa Rally, Amana
    2014 Arkansas Rally, Mountain View - Central Regional Rally, Amana, IA
    2015 North Texas Rally, Santo - National Rally, Goshen - Missouri Rally, Carthage
    2017 Oklahoma Rally, Vinata, Arkansas Rally, Mountain View, Missouri Rally, Branson
    2018 Oklahoma Eufala, South Central Regional Rally Branson, MO, Mississippi rally, Belden
    2019 Louisiana Rally, Natchitoches,
    [/B

5. Print this Post   #5
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

My first ding was when I thought I had enough room for the tail to swing in a tight fuel station maneuver. I was wrong. I slide the left rear against a dumpster. Fortunately for me it wasn't so bad I couldn't smooth it out and repaint it. Most of the abrasion was that rear trim piece that covers the screws going around the rear cap.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

6. Print this Post   #6

Since we are in confession now I can admit to my first ding. I was pulling out of the storage shortly after getting the Cyclone. I guess I was used to the previous 26' pull trailer because I turned to soon while exiting and caught the rear left side on the support beam of the covered parking. I stopped when I heard the crunch and cussed a lot. Lucky for me no holes in the body but I did have to replace all four ladder mounts, a 4' piece of rain gutter that I folded in and a scare light. I now pull straight forward and then get out to check if I have cleared that beam that jumped out at me.
    2011 Cyclone 3010

2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML Crew-cab, short-bed, 4wd.
    Line-X Bedliner
    Fumoto Drain Valve
    Kennedy Lift Pump
    Edge Insight
    Air Lift 5000/Wireless Remote

7. Print this Post   #7

Think "small red bumper car"...it doesn't matter where you park people don't know how to drive and think its no big deal if they scrape your rig pulling in or out. Frustrating but always make sure to have an inexpensive digital camera in your cab or trailer so you can get pictures on the spot.
    Always do a quick walk around every time you stop even if its for 15 minutes, its worth it if you ever have to deal with your insurance company.
    1994 40' West Haven custom built diesel pusher - sold 2001
    Heartland BC 3500RL ~ still working on "the list"
    Priss 91' F350 power stroke converted ambulance w/SB and larger front cab

“Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it.”
    ~Danny Kaye

8. Print this Post   #8
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

It is amazing how you don't 'feel' those small dings. I once was driving in an RV park and a tree branch jumped out and took out a back side window from the rear end swing. It broke the window, bent the frame and some gel-coat. Didn't even feel it and didn't know until a man came running up and told me.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

9. Print this Post   #9
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

I had a ding appear one day in "J" wrap just ahead of the door. I did some searching around cause the Horn had not been moved from the driveway for a couple months. I knew I didn't do it and Pat didn't do it ( that's her story and she's sticking to it). One day I happened to notice a small bicycle in the garage....took it out to the Horn. Imagine that...the handle bars are just the right height. "OH NO, none of the grandsons did it says Grandma....those little darlings would not do that". I lost the battle. I must have been sleep riding a 3 year olds bike and did it. True story.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056