Need New Hehr Window Pane

wdk450

Gang:
I went to the storage yard today to turn on the fridge in advance of a trip tomorrow. The storage yard owner came up to me all apologetic to tell me that the sliding pane (lower left from outside) of my big rear Bighorn window had been broken from a flying rock from a spinning car wheel. They are going to cover all costs, and got me set up with a piece of clear Plexiglas cut to size, plus a little duct tape to hold/seal it. That will be O.K. for my trip, but I want to replace the tinted safety glass. The Hehr websites I looked at seem to sell hardware and complete window assemblies only. Any ideas?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bill, call Hehr and they will give you info on who sells their stuff retail. I had to do that to get some replacement rubber trim for my rear window.

talley

Same window on my 2006 Bighorn was broken several months ago. Insurance adjuster said take it glass shop and have the large fixed double-pane tinted glass replaced in the existing frame. Found that it does not work like that. Had to replace the whole window unit. Heartland Dealer measured opening to ensure proper framed window unit was ordered. Dealer installed the new window in about one hour.

brianharrison

I have had a window company custom cut a pane of glass in the right color (smoke or bronze mirror) and send it out for tempering - ie make it safety glass (shatters into millions of pieces).

The window has to come out of the unit and they measure, install a temp plexiglass (or lexan), you reinstall, then remove and they install the new glass when it`s ready after tempering.

Or you can replace the whole window. Here is a link that sells the whole windows.

Hope this helps.
Brian

wdk450

Problem resolved. Using an internet search, I found a local Sacramento glass company, Horizon Glass, Inc. who had RV glass repairs featured on their website. They came out to the storage yard, inspected and measured the broken pane, got a new pane made, came back to the storage yard and installed the pane in the window, WITHOUT HAVING TO DISASSEMBLE THE WINDOW! Total charges just $250!! (Which the storage yard paid). They even swept up the broken safety glass fragments behind the trailer.
The owner of Horizon Glass, Mike Caudill, seemed very knowledgeable, and seemed to be teaching his assistants. Later, when I looked at Horizon Glass' website, I saw that he also runs a glass installer school at his company.