Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Safety Test for "D" plated trucks? Requirement?

1. Print this Post   #11

Jim,

I did more research and what I found supports my position with "b" plates. The secretary of state site in the section on fees indicates http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...basicfees.html gross weight. There is a publication they sent out to dealers, also on the site that indicates the you have to weigh the vehicle to get gross weight for Second Division. It also indicates that GVWR is not part of the second division classification! So as long as I am under 8k in actual weight (which I am), I can get B plates.

From the Site
    " B-truck license plates are issued to Second Division vehicles weighing 8,000 pounds or less"
    2009 Heartland Northtrail 31QBS
    2008 F350 Powerstoke Diesel
    Equal-i-zer® Sway Control Hitch, with 4-Point Sway Control

2. Print this Post   #12

$20 for a safety inspection is cheap, and it keeps these yahoos off honest who are driving junk work trucks. Unfortunately, only a very, very few law enforcement officers bother to write the tickets or even check trucks. I've had my D plate since March of '04, and I've been stopped twice in 150,000 miles. I didn't know until recently I had to have it done TWICE a year. $20 x 2 is cheaper than $75 for ONE ticket, plus it keeps you on your toes with your own vehicle AND helps when you go to resell. As for helping out the municipalities, this isn't even a drop in the bucket, because it isn't widely enforced.

3. Print this Post   #13

OK, let's make sure I have this correct. My lil' ol' F250 is solidly a class B truck. Now that I am pulling a Bighorn instead of a 7000 lb. travel trailer, I've essentially crossed over into the big truck's world and I am required to inspect that truck twice a year and have that inspection documented on my windshield. Do I have that correct? Hmmmm....... I have this picture in my mind of a slow speed OJ Simpson chase scene in which I am trying to pull the BH across the border into the safety of Wisconsin with a string of Illinois state troopers trailing behind me.
    Pete and Sharon
    Buttons (Lhasa Poo)
    2008 Bighorn 3055
    2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab Diesel

4. Print this Post   #14
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Pete,

That you have changed trailers does not impact how you need to license the same truck. As I interpret the Illinois Vehicle Code (and perhaps I do it improperly), its the capacity of that truck (not its weight) that determines plate type.

And D and higher plates in IL require that inspection, as they are Vehicles of the Second Division and I think the assumption made is that these heavier capacity vehicles will be used commercially.

That all said, I have an H plate on the current truck and have elected to not get the inspection sticker. The one time I was pulled over in IL in this truck, they said since I (in my mind only) classify my truck as my RV hauler, they let it go as an RV. I had the hitch in the back and have a hauler body.

Jim

5. Print this Post   #15

Thanks Jim. It's not the licensing of the truck that I am questioning here. As I said, my truck is a B truck and I don't think that is in question. However, I am reacting to your earlier statement that any pickup truck with a bed will be required to get inspections if they are pulling a rig greater than 8000 pounds. That's what has changed for me. My previous travel trailer was less than 8000 pounds. My BH is not, so I'm in a new category unless I misunderstood your statement.
    Pete and Sharon
    Buttons (Lhasa Poo)
    2008 Bighorn 3055

6. Print this Post   #16

Jim,

This is the statement that I am referring to:

For B plated truck, the inspection requirement applies only if you tow a trailer that is 8,001 pounds or greater in weight.
    Pete and Sharon
    Buttons (Lhasa Poo)
    2008 Bighorn 3055

7. Print this Post   #17

Just to chime in Jim, I see you showing registration, equipment, speed and safety test IVC sections. Don't muddy the issue. DOT and SOS are notoriously unreliable sources of information. The commercial vehicle section of the Illinois State Police is the one and ONLY source for reliable information pertaining to all things truck. The issue of the safety test is not one which pertains only to Commercial vehicles but to the weight of the vehicle. If the vehicle is used in Commerce, ie: used for business purposes, and weighs more than 10,000 lbs., then the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations apply and enforcable only by an Illinois State Trooper within Illinois. The fire extinguisher is a requirment under MCS, not the Illinois Vehicle code. As for the safety test, B plated trucks were removed from the requirement sometime around 1980 and a bunch of clunkers that couldn't pass the test were suddenly once again appearing on the roadways. SOS will sell you whatever you want to buy. If you want to put a B plate on a Freightliner, they will sell it to you. Likewise if you want to put an F plate, good for up to 16,000 lbs. on a Toyota minivan, they will sell it to you. Again, for the safety test, weight is what counts, not the registration. The D plate and no visible safety test sticker on the windshield is mearly "reasonable suspicion" under the law to stop the vehicle and check its weight. Should no scale be available then the GVWR as shown on the federal sticker on the door jamb applies. There is no commercial use required to obtain the heavier registration or for the safety test. The trailer requirment for the safety test exempts RVs. My F250 weighs right at 8,000 lbs. with tool box, hitch, full fuel & Navigator in the right seat, so, my truck is plated for 8,000 lbs. Our Big Horn is plated for 14,000 lbs. The actual weight combined is 21,000 lbs. So we are plated correctly. But, and this is a big but, is the GVWR of my F250 is 9,800 lbs. and based on that should be subjected to the twice annual safety tests. I rely on the get out of jail badge and ID card in my wallet take my chances. I know, I know...... But living where you do, I will let you in on a little secret. SHHHH don't pass it on. There are several police departments in Dupage county that use truck enforcement for a source of revenue and are very aggressive enforcement wise. And I haven't seen a Dually of any brand that didn't weigh closer to 10,000 lbs. empty and personally wrote many, many overweight and registration and safety test tickets over the course of my career. And for those who believe they can somehow obscure the federal sticker's GVWR and fly that B plate to avoid the safety test, there is a computer program called vinassist that officers use in the field to obtain the manufacturure's GVWR. Sorry to hear you got pinched but doesn't surprise me at all. I spent 14 years of my career working in that neighborhood. Hope I didn't confuse anyone any further....

Joe

8. Print this Post   #18
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the insight.

I no longer have that truck and the stop was a few years back. I got legal and the judge dismissed it.

I'll prod along fat, dumb and ignorant with my H plate and no sticker. It's an RV - really!

Jim
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

9. Print this Post   #19
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beletti View Post
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the insight.

I no longer have that truck and the stop was a few years back. I got legal and the judge dismissed it.

I'll prod along fat, dumb and ignorant with my H plate and no sticker. It's an RV - really!

Jim
    And a darned nice one at that! (Assuming JimToo hasn't gotten it completely sold for parts yet !)

Gus

Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum Crew Cab DRW, 6.7L PowerStroke

10. Print this Post   #20
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Joe, thanks for the clearing of the waters. We have the dually and are currently running the "B" plate. We discussed it this spring and since we found a convenient place in Rock Falls to get inspected we will renew in May and upgrade to a "D" plate. Just to play it safe. The only downside is our tolls will cost us more. Thank God for I-Pass.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast