RCMP checking truck weight ratings

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just where in Texas were you looking? Ya gotta get out of the major cities..try from about Junction and further west.

West of Junction there is not much of anything but rocks, sand, snakes and jackrabbits. There may be 1 cowboy per section though. :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just where in Texas were you looking? Ya gotta get out of the major cities..try from about Junction and further west.

West of Junction there is not much of anything but rocks, sand, snakes and jackrabbits. There may be 1 cowboy per section though. :)
BTW there are more oilmen in Texas than cowboys.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I've been stopped just out of Radium, B.C. and briefly checked by the RCMP, it wasn't a weight check but they did verify I had extention mirrors on. I think they were looking for obvious infractions, they are pretty safety minded in B.C. as you can't drive far without running into mountains and mountain passes. There are a couple of pulls in B.C. I try to avoid as they are long and steep..../Doug

wyleyrabbit

I am happy to say that I did go through the process of getting my "Code 51 endorsement" on my Class5 license here in BC (where we live). This endorsement allows towing of a house trailer of any weight without air brakes.

The process goes like so:

1. study hard. The study guide is available at any DMV or online.
  2. write learner's permit exam and take learner's eye exam. Cost $15.
  3. schedule road test (mine was 5 weeks after time of booking)
  4. find someone that either already has the endorsement or has a class 3, 2, or 1 license to practice with. Get lots of practice.
  5. practice and study the pre-trip inspection. In the exam, you're required to do a full commercial pre-trip inspection of your truck and trailer. This part takes ~ 30 mins and is likely far more involved than anything you've ever done before (unless you're a commercial trucker).
  6. Take the 30-min pre-trip and 1-hour road test (cost is $50). There is 1 demerit point for everything missed on the pre-trip and there are between 50 and 60 things to check and test. You pass with 10 demerits and fail with 11. I got a demerit point for not honking my truck's horn to verify that the horn works, and another for not verifything that my windshield wipers work.
  7. Do road test. Don't rub the curb or drive over the sidewalk or you fail. Drive around for an hour with the examiner. Don't speed. Leave lots of room between you and vehicle in front (allow 5+ seconds). Turn into proper lane on turns. Don't go through yellow or red lights.
  8. Assuming you pass, pay for new license. :cool:
If anyone has any questions on the process or the exam for the Code 51 endorsement in BC, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Chris

azbound

I have a 1 ton DRW and tow a 5ver GVWR 14,600#. I have weight the trailer and am under the GVWR. I live in California and have the required RV endorsement to tow a 5th wheel weighting over 10,001# and Under 15,000#. Does that cover me in BC?

wyleyrabbit

I believe you are covered in BC as well. Seems to me I read somewhere that if you have the proper licensing in your home state/province then you're good in any state or province.

That said, it's possible to be underweight in GVWR but overweight on the GAWR. Check all of your weights to be sure.

azbound

I believe you are covered in BC as well. Seems to me I read somewhere that if you have the proper licensing in your home state/province then you're good in any state or province.

That said, it's possible to be underweight in GVWR but overweight on the GAWR. Check all of your weights to be sure.

NO proplem, when I ordered my BH 3400, I ordered it with the upgraded 7,000# axles and G Rated tires

irvin56

Here's some info

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/references_publications/trailer_towing_info_sheet.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3230.pdf

Can check out www.gov.bc.ca

And get other info you need or e-mail the goverment and they can direct you to the info

Also in any province in canada www.gov. then province .ca

this will get you to any info you need in that province.
I also understand from a few long haul truckers, that any license that you are certified to pull trailer in you state. you are okay in any. Not 100% sure but that is what I hear

Last edited:

wyleyrabbit

NO proplem, when I ordered my BH 3400, I ordered it with the upgraded 7,000# axles and G Rated tires

That's great, and you'll likely never regret those upgrades.

It's essential that the GAWR of your truck axels are not overweight either, which is actually what I meant. :)

Cheers,
Chris