Norcold 1210 4-door refer won't stay fired on gas

tomjanej

Refer works fine on AC but when you switch to LP, burner starts but won't stay fired only about 15 secs. until it switches off. Cleaned the burner area and blew up lines -- no luck. Anybody out there have any ideas? Rig is 2014 Big Country -- Thanks.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Mine does just the opposite. It will run fine on gas but only the freezer works on AC. My rig is a 2014 Silverado.

danemayer

Refer works fine on AC but when you switch to LP, burner starts but won't stay fired only about 15 secs. until it switches off. Cleaned the burner area and blew up lines -- no luck. Anybody out there have any ideas? Rig is 2014 Big Country -- Thanks.
Hi tomjanej,

There's typically a flame sensor that shuts off the gas valve if it doesn't detect a flame within a short time, or I suppose if the flame isn't hot enough. The most common cause is insufficient propane supply. See if the furnace will run and stay on for 2 minutes. Takes about 25 seconds for furnace ignition. If the furnace works, the propane supply is ok.

If the furnace is ok, the burner might need adjustment or you might have a bad sensor or control board. You'll probably need to get a tech involved.

danemayer

Mine does just the opposite. It will run fine on gas but only the freezer works on AC. My rig is a 2014 Silverado.
Hi gwalter,

Are you sure about your failure description? If the freezer works, that usually indicates the cooling unit is working correctly and it should also cool the frig compartment - unless you have an air leak or are packing food in too tightly, or are keeping the doors open. But if it works ok on LP, you probably don't have any of those problems.

gwalter

It is empty as we just bought it. It does cool some on AC but the fridge area does not cool a
lot and the freezer will freeze but then warm up and any frost formed will melt.

danemayer

It is empty as we just bought it. It does cool some on AC but the fridge area does not cool a
lot and the freezer will freeze but then warm up and any frost formed will melt.
Sounds like you'll be visiting your dealer soon.

gwalter

As long as it works well on propane I am going to wait until camping season is over. Their shop is busy thru Sept.

tomjanej

Not what we wanted to hear, guys. :( We're in the boonies -- 200 miles from dealer and at least 50 miles from any tech support. We've checked propane supply and flame - both good. Blown out the lines too. Wouldn't matter except that our next adventure is to Watkins Glen for NASCAR -- no AC available THERE ! The rest of summer we'll have AC. Thanks for your thoughts tho. If anyone else has an idea, lay it on us !!

Is your refrigerator in a slid out? What I found on my unit, as my refrigerator is in a slide out, the LP gas line is pinched from opening and closing your slide. Go underneath the slide, follow the LP gas line from frame rail of RV to bottom of slide. On bottom of slide there is a large bundle of wires and LP line tie strapped together. Follow your LP line along skirt of slide to brass fittings on bottom of slide. About two / three inches from fitting you will find LP gas line inked. Cut the tie strap to relax hos. Good Luck and enjoy the race. Jim