Norcold Model 1210 refer frost on fridg fins and icing.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Our Norcold Model 1210, side by side, has been freezing up items on top self of refrigerator the last three weeks. We defrost refer part, freezer seems fine with no excess frost, and the refer fins cover over in less than a day with heavy frost. Leave alone for 5-7 days and items freeze on top shelf. Any ideas? I am thinking bad Thermistor. If so how can I troubleshoot this.

Last edited:

danemayer

Fast frost buildup in the frig compartment suggests excess moisture from warm air leaking in. On a side-by-side, first thing to check is the flap that seals the closure between the doors. If it's binding, you'll have an air leak. Also check the door seals (close the door on a dollar bill and pull to make sure there's a little drag as you pull the bill). Make sure nothing inside the frig is sticking out far enough to put pressure on the door(s).

porthole

Retired
Our Norcold Model 1210, side by side, has been freezing up items on top self of refrigerator the last three weeks. We defrost refer part, freezer seems fine with no excess frost, and the refer fins cover over in less than a day with heavy frost. Leave alone for 5-7 days and items freeze on top shelf. Any ideas? I am thinking bad Thermistor. If so how can I troubleshoot this.

Your accessing the fridge too much for frosty beverages in a humid condition :cool:

Jim.Allison

Ditto on the air leak, but if you are wanting to check the signals from the controls you need a digital multimeter with a probe on one pole and alligator clips on the other.

123camper

Amazon sells a fan that mounts on the fins that keeps air circulating inside the frig. Keeps the frost off the fins and keeps even temp in fridg. Easy to hook up. I think it was less than $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Amazon sells a fan that mounts on the fins that keeps air circulating inside the frig. Keeps the frost off the fins and keeps even temp in fridg. Easy to hook up. I think it was less than $20.

Been there done that doesn't work that well. Defrosting my fridge right now.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Been there done that doesn't work that well. Defrosting my fridge right now.

The addition of that fan has worked wonders with my RM1350 Duane. We haven't had any problems with high temps since we put it in.

murry135

OK, fella's, I have placed a circulating fan in the refer compartment but still freezing items on top shelf. Did door seal test with paper money and there was drag on the paper money (denomination not need for this explanantion) from numerous perimeter test areas. I know humid air into refer compartment makes for fin frost but fin frost does make for freezing temps. Frozen fins should make for warmer temps I thought because of the insulation factor caused by the frost coverage. So, I am thinking control board issue but waiting for Jim.Allison to explain to me how to test the control board, have meter and have clips just need direction. Sorry Duane I don't see me reducing trips into refer for cool, refreshing, invigorating beverages and the occasional left over.

danemayer

You didn't mention the door flap that seals the gap between the doors.

Also, another possible source of warm, moist air is the drain hose that goes to the lower vent on the outside wall. The end of the hose on the outside should have a plug that allows water to drain, but restricts airflow. If that plug is missing, you have a direct path for warm air into the frig.

murry135

Checked and checked also. Usual complaint "warm," I have the opposite go figure.

SeattleLion

We have twin fans that clip to the fins. That keeps the temp even throughout the fridge. We also have a remote monitoring thermometer (on amazon) that tells us the actual temp inside the refrigerator and the freezer. We found that we had set the cooling too high. We get a bit of frost on the fins, but nothing to worry about. The fans are great! It keeps an even temp throughout. The temp settings are a bit fussy. You may have a combination of poor internal air circulation and setting the cooling too high to compensate. We keep the fridge at about 37 deg.