How Many Have Fired Their Weapon?

BigGuy82

I cave a CCL and 33 other states honor Colorado's CCL. They include the states I visit often. I carry during travel but not when at the site. I also have a secure system in my trailer because we travel with my son. There are rules in place that no other kids are allowed in the trailer because I have firearms (regardless of them being behind lock and key). We have a phrase that is used if either my mom and I are uncomfortable that means I need to carry. We take this issue very seriously. I practice monthly and am very capable of safe handling and understand the rules and limitations to my CCL.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Don't get me wrong here - I am highly trained (military & civilian), highly skilled, have had a CCL all of my adult life, believe in the Second Amendment and believe it is every American's right to carry a firearm. However, as I see it, it's not the states that accept your CCL - it's moving through the states that don't. For instance, I don't care how you secure your weapon, I don't care how safe you are, I don't care what training you've had, I don't care what license you have (unless it's a FFL) - if that New York State Trooper finds out that you have that firearm anywhere on board (coach or truck, locked or not), you are going to be arrested, gun confiscated and charges placed. Yes, I know - there will be a dozen folks telling me that's simply not true, but in fact it is. True, there are federal laws that allow and regulate firearm transport through any state, and you will likely win the argument in court, but NY State has a lot more money than you do so prepare to dig into the retirement fund. As they say, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich (especially in this state) and with the anti-gun rhetoric that has been whipped up by our Governor, I can assure you that you will be going to trial.

Best advice that I can offer is that if you are going to New England, you can't get there without going through New York. Leave the gun at home or hide it and take the chance that the Trooper won't have the opportunity to find it. Just don't have an accident or do anything that would give him cause to examine the inside of the coach or truck. I'm CC licensed in NY but for my money, I'll leave the pistol home, carry a 12 gauge in the coach (and even that's not without legal risk) and have a very good knife in my pocket - I'm trained in that also. For me, the same holds true in any other state that doesn't honor my license.

God willing, I won't need to use any of it. My wife and I just want to have fun in retirement!

Carleen

Don't get me wrong here - I am highly trained (military & civilian), highly skilled, have had a CCL all of my adult life, believe in the Second Amendment and believe it is every American's right to carry a firearm. However, as I see it, it's not the states that accept your CCL - it's moving through the states that don't. For instance, I don't care how you secure your weapon, I don't care how safe you are, I don't care what training you've had, I don't care what license you have (unless it's a FFL) - if that New York State Trooper finds out that you have that firearm anywhere on board (coach or truck, locked or not), you are going to be arrested, gun confiscated and charges placed. Yes, I know - there will be a dozen folks telling me that's simply not true, but in fact it is. True, there are federal laws that allow and regulate firearm transport through any state, and you will likely win the argument in court, but NY State has a lot more money than you do so prepare to dig into the retirement fund. As they say, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich (especially in this state) and with the anti-gun rhetoric that has been whipped up by our Governor, I can assure you that you will be going to trial.

Best advice that I can offer is that if you are going to New England, you can't get there without going through New York. Leave the gun at home or hide it and take the chance that the Trooper won't have the opportunity to find it. Just don't have an accident or do anything that would give him cause to examine the inside of the coach or truck. I'm CC licensed in NY but for my money, I'll leave the pistol home, carry a 12 gauge in the coach (and even that's not without legal risk) and have a very good knife in my pocket - I'm trained in that also. For me, the same holds true in any other state that doesn't honor my license.

God willing, I won't need to use any of it. My wife and I just want to have fun in retirement!

That is the hard part with the north east. So many states don't allow it. Luckily I don't travel there because I stick to the "Wild West" where most all states accept the Colorado CCL. I think I would rely on my dog more if I traveled east. You are right- leave the guns at home- not worth the risk!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

BigGuy82

That is the hard part with the north east. So many states don't allow it. Luckily I don't travel there because I stick to the "Wild West" where most all states accept the Colorado CCL. I think I would rely on my dog more if I traveled east. You are right- leave the guns at home- not worth the risk!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

It's really lovely up here - if you can get past the politics!

I live in New York's Finger Lakes Region - very beautiful and some pretty good wine also! You should give it a try sometime.

Lynn1130

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Up-State is not NYC. Spent a Summer when I was in HS with my second cousins in Sempronius and fished many of the lakes and a lot of ponds and streams. Made many more trips visiting my uncle and cousins and brought home many a bottle of Finger Lakes wines. A lovely place.

BTW, on the above map. Click on your state and you will see all of the states that your CC is honored.

kowAlski631

We hope we're never in a situation where we have to fire our weapons. But we would not hesitate to do so to prevent death to ourselves.

CaptnJohn

It's really lovely up here - if you can get past the politics!

I live in New York's Finger Lakes Region - very beautiful and some pretty good wine also! You should give it a try sometime.

Agree, I used to run charters on Lake Ontario (wine country) and deer hunted NY as well, 1960s through early 1990s. I cannot get past the politics any longer. My CWP is recognized in 34 states, I'll patronize those and don't feel missing anything

Relayman

better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

alexb2000

Really a sad situation when a law abiding citizen, veteran, licensed, trained, and background checked 6 ways from sunday by many agencies, is not a really law abiding citizen. When I was young I never dreamed that I wouldn't be able to travel to certain parts of the U.S. with a gun locked in my RV for either hunting or protection. I am not talking about CC either. Might as well just divide us up into separate countries if we're going to let every state and city override the constitution at will. How is a person supposed to keep all of that straight anyway?

No CA or NE for me either and I really wanted to visit some places in those states.

Lynn1130

States Rights and someone from Texas would be well aware and supportive of that. Texas has threatened to leave the Union more that once over that issue.

alexb2000

States Rights and someone from Texas would be well aware and supportive of that. Texas has threatened to leave the Union more that once over that issue.

Ever wonder why the Texas flag flies at the same height as the U.S. Flag? It is not the only one but a good example.

I am supportive of State Rights, for example if CO residents voted to decriminalize MJ, that's their business.

However, I am talking about a basic set of rights and privileges that have to apply to all U.S. citizens if we are going to have a functioning country. How about if a certain state decided that the emission testing requirements of other states i.e.. CA vs. Fed were inadequate and decided to stop and impound every out of state vehicle that passed through. Then we are no longer a country and that's my point about guns as we pass through certain places as law abiding citizens.

Lynn1130

I think this has been cussed and discussed a number of times on here. Basically it came down to, few if any states will stop you just to search for a gun because they have a law that says you cannot carry in their state. Unless, of course, you are silly enough to put a sticker on your vehicle that says you are always armed. Your CC is honored in some states and not in others. I don't worry about driving through one of those that does not on my way to one that does. If you get stopped for some traffic infraction and are foolish enough to have it in plain sight or admit to having one you will probably find yourself sideways with their law otherwise keep on trucking.

Travel into Canada or Mexico with a gun, or even ammo will get you in serious trouble and they can search for no real reason other than you are coming into their country. I, as a police officer, could not carry in states that ban carry, unless on official business and then only with permission of the jurisdiction I was visiting. I also could not carry on a flight unless the Captain allowed me to. Otherwise it had to be checked. Owning and carrying a gun, even with the Second Amendment does not void all local law and regulation.

BigGuy82

One man in our campground in Florida last winter did shoot his gun. Put a hole in his $300000 motor home and the bullet lodged in the next camper. No one in the other camper while the bullet hit the kitchen area.
Cost to repair the other camper was above $3000. Plus his own was not known at the time.
I am Canadian and do stop at many walmarts when we travel. My truck has an alarm and I doubt anyone can break in my unit before I can alarm for help.
Plus we are not allowed to have a weapon unless it's locked up with the amunitions locked up in a separate cabinet, its the law here.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

I responded to this a few weeks back but I just came across an article that specifically addresses your comment: "and I doubt anyone can break in my unit before I can alarm for help".

As his his family slept peacefully early Sunday morning, one Norfolk, CA homeowner was forced to defend them from a dangerous home intruder.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. Rene Garcia said the incident took place around 2:30 a.m. when a home intruder broke into a house in the 14400 block of Graystone Avenue.
A woman inside the residence awoke to noises at the front of the home alerted an armed male to a possible break in and called 9-1-1. But before police could arrive on scene, the homeowner was forced to confront the intruder.
“The suspect proceeded to go to the rear of the residence, where he broke through french doors armed with a knife,” Garcia said.
At that point, a male resident of the home shot the armed intruder in the torso.
“The suspect fled from the scene, however, he was taken into custody about a block away,” Garcia said.
The suspect was apprehended by officials and taken to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, Garcia said. His identity was not available pending the booking process.
According to the sergeant, children were also present in the home at the time of the break-in and shooting. Only the suspect was injured in the incident.
The male resident of the home who shot the suspect has not been arrested. Garcia said detectives are continuing to investigate the incident which he confirmed initially appears to be a case of self-defense.

alexb2000

They used to have a show on where they used ex-thieves to show you how easy they could break into homes, cars, RV's, etc. They by-passed all the locks, alarms, etc. easily often using incredibly simple methods. For example in a home with an alarm the bedrooms never have glass breakage sensors only window and door sensors, so they would just throw a flower pot through the window or door glass and come in a bedroom. I'm sure they canceled it because it was like an online university for aspiring thieves.

Point is most of us have no idea how simply thieves and other wrong doers can bypass what we tell ourselves is good security.

Relayman

5267ebf3cf9e39939af4117cc0c35f95.jpg

in the words of Major Pain Hea...Hea....Hea

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I cannot remember when my last post on this subject was but fortunately I still have not had to pull my weapon in self defense. I also cannot and will not judge or arm chair quarter back the actions of a LEO. I was not there. I do not have the right. Working in EMS as long as I did really wore on me and mostly because of the stress of always having to be perfect, every minute of every day. LEO's are held under an even higher standard than that I believe and that kind of stress cannot be easy to deal with.