How Many Have Fired Their Weapon?

Lynn1130

Firstly, Clif, I was a police department Range Master and certified instructor for many years in most all weapons short of RPGs although I fired one or two of those so I have shot them all. If you like the .44 mag, go for it. I would not recommend it then and I don't now but to each his own. Most can get 14 on target from a .40 or 9mm easier than trying to keep that big 44 on target.

Jim we have open carry here too but I prefer not walking around town looking like the old West. It scares fewer moms and kids and gets fewer bad looks from business owners.

marcortez

This poster is armed, trained (retired LE) and willing to take your life, if you mean me or my loved ones harm.

And for crying out loud.......when LE tells you to put the gun down..........PUT IT DOWN.

Jim.Allison

Jim we have open carry here too but I prefer not walking around town looking like the old West. It scares fewer moms and kids and gets fewer bad looks from business owners.

It's moot for me because I do not carry in public anyway. Even with the condition of our society the chances that I will need a side arm are so remote, there are other more protective actions I can take to maximize my safety. In fact IMHO, pepper spray is probably more effective for a larger number of threats than one will encounter, except a direct threat form an armed subject. If you chance to get involved in an altercation, it is most likely that it will fall short of the need for "deadly force", it is for this reason that I carry Sabre tactical "blue face" pepper spray. They can then follow me out to my rig, where I have the ultimate solutions waiting.

Holoholo

We live in Texas I carry a Baretta FS 9mm in the truck and move it to the trailer at night. Yes we both shoot regularly to keep proficient. Nothing worse than someone fumbling with a gun not familar with. Seriously do NOT want to actually shoot someone so first shots will be in the ground hoping the noise alone will make them stop and think. We also have pepper spray, the guns are backup However a Vietnam vet so more than willing if family is seriously threatened. Just my thoughts.

jwcox

I am from Arizona and have a CWP but that is not required in AZ. I shoot my Sig as often as I can to maintain my ability. Have not ever had to use it while out hiking with my dogs. Thank goodness

RamblinFever

We live in Texas I carry a Baretta FS 9mm in the truck and move it to the trailer at night. Yes we both shoot regularly to keep proficient. Nothing worse than someone fumbling with a gun not familar with. Seriously do NOT want to actually shoot someone so first shots will be in the ground hoping the noise alone will make them stop and think. We also have pepper spray, the guns are backup However a Vietnam vet so more than willing if family is seriously threatened. Just my thoughts.
After attending a CHL class, warning shots are not a good thing. Any altercation can then reflect negative back to you. Somewhat like showing your weapon to the bad guy to discourage him and then you get charged with brandishing. This just shows you how jacked up things are here in CA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

CaptnJohn

After attending a CHL class, warning shots are not a good thing. Any altercation can then reflect negative back to you. Somewhat like showing your weapon to the bad guy to discourage him and then you get charged with brandishing. This just shows you how jacked up things are here in CA.

Not just CA, many places. I have a short list of states I have no desire to visit and CA is on it.

I strongly agree with your comment on warning shots or pulling a weapon. No one will ever know I carry unless it is required to stop a threat. At that time they may see it a second before I fire.

BigGuy82

Not to mention the fact that you are giving the perp additional time to harm you. I suggest you get some really good handgun training or don't carry the weapon. Improper use is often more dangerous than not having the weapon. And if you do get good training and are in the unfortunate position of having to use it to defend yourself, don't try any of that " wounding in the leg" nonsense - double tap center of mass. Regarding the fear of legal action, my philosophy is defend yourself to the absolute maximum and let the lawyers argue it later on - at least you'll be alive to argue it.

Finally, here's some additional protection. Join the USCCA. (United States Concealed Carry Association). They can help you learn much more about this subject AND they sell legal defense insurance in case you ever find yourself in court for legally protecting yourself.

Sorry, new here but question on topic

Not to mention the fact that you are giving the perp additional time to harm you. I suggest you get some really good handgun training or don't carry the weapon. Improper use is often more dangerous than not having the weapon. And if you do get good training and are in the unfortunate position of having to use it to defend yourself, don't try any of that " wounding in the leg" nonsense - double tap center of mass. Regarding the fear of legal action, my philosophy is defend yourself to the absolute maximum and let the lawyers argue it later on - at least you'll be alive to argue it.

Finally, here's some additional protection. Join the USCCA. (United States Concealed Carry Association). They can help you learn much more about this subject AND they sell legal defense insurance in case you ever find yourself in court for legally protecting yourself.

First to answer the question I shoot a couple hundred rounds twice a week through a variety of Glocks, a Ruger and a 1911. I've had a lot of training. I'm a member of USCCA. I have a Utah ccp so I'm good to go in most the areas I want to travel through. I'm going to add NV non resident clearing up NM and MN. That leaves Oregon where I have grandkids and California where I have friends

Now to my question. I read through 8 pages of this thread and still am wondering, If the guns are stashed under the bed and I were perhaps traveling in one of those 2 states -- Nah, make that just Cal. I'm not worried about nutcases in Oregon. In California and the guns are stashed as I said, do I need to worry? I just got my 5th wheel so this is new to me. I would not be traveling through Cal (which would provide some federal protection) but actually visiting friends in the bay area.

A few years back I was camping in our Starcraft pop-up camper at Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas. The park is huge, 311,000 acres and it's on the border with Mexico. I brought a handgun along, just in case. Well in my many years of camping I've heard coyotes howl many, many times, but that trip I had coyotes PANTING right outside my bed!!! So all that was between me and the coyote was a thin layer of fabric! I had my pistol under my pillow but thankfully I didn't need it. Although we have a TT now I still carry it, just in case.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Sorry, new here but question on topic

Now to my question. In California and the guns are stashed as I said, do I need to worry?
Bout what? Nut cases or just having your guns stashed.
Cali does not have a duty to retreat, so if you are in your home (RV) it should be legal to possess a firearm.
But since Cali does not honor any other state permit for concealed carry then the only legal place to possess may be in your home (RV).
They also have a State Park regulation that states your guns have to be rendered temporarily inoperable by way of no round chambered, no magazine and cased or stored to prevent their ready use.
Don't put any money on anything I just said. Do your homework.
And why would you want to tell anybody you have guns stashed in your RV???

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If the guns are stashed under the bed and I were perhaps traveling in one of those 2 states -- Nah, make that just Cal. I'm not worried about nutcases in Oregon. In California and the guns are stashed as I said, do I need to worry? I just got my 5th wheel so this is new to me. I would not be traveling through Cal (which would provide some federal protection) but actually visiting friends in the bay area.

Hi farsidefan1,

Here's how I understand it:

• I don't think California has reciprocity on your Concealed Carry Permit
  • My Legal Heat app says that it's illegal to transport a loaded weapon in your vehicle in California.
  • Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds may not be imported - I don't know if crossing the state line with a 15 round magazine constitutes importing.
  • If you are traveling from a state that allows transport of a gun, to a state that allows transport of a gun, and have to cross a state that doesn't allow it, Federal law protects you. However, if you stop overnight, or perhaps even for a leisurely meal, the state may argue that your protection has lapsed. And some states, like New York will arrest you even if you comply with Federal law and then allow you to use Federal law as an affirmative defense.
  • Some people hold the view that your RV is your home and is not a vehicle, and that a search warrant would be required to look inside. But that's a murky area. From what I've read, some courts have held that if your RV is disconnected from the tow vehicle, and is hooked up to utilities, that it's a home. But if you're hitched up and ready to tow, it's a vehicle and therefore subject to many types of warrantless searches.

If you have the gun separated from the ammo and both are locked up, there's a very good likelihood that you won't have a problem. But in locales that are hostile to gun ownership, it's not a certainty.

avvidclif

#1 Don't put NRA stickers all over your vehicles, TV or RV.

#2 If you don't mess up no-one but you will know you are armed.

Tis better to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6. Meaning if someone finds out I'm carrying the CC laws are the least of my worries.

Re: Sorry, new here but question on topic

Bout what? Nut cases or just having your guns stashed.
Cali does not have a duty to retreat, so if you are in your home (RV) it should be legal to possess a firearm.
But since Cali does not honor any other state permit for concealed carry then the only legal place to possess may be in your home (RV).
They also have a State Park regulation that states your guns have to be rendered temporarily inoperable by way of no round chambered, no magazine and cased or stored to prevent their ready use.
Don't put any money on anything I just said. Do your homework.
And why would you want to tell anybody you have guns stashed in your RV???

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, I just sensed a gray area as regards to telling an officer you have a gun. Many states have a "must inform" law regarding possession of a firearm in your vehicle if pulled over for any cause. California is one of those states (big surprise). But if your weapon is under the bed? does that trip the must inform rule? If one does not disclose and for whatever excuse they come up with to search and they find it... Not good. I just wondered if any in here have come up against that uncomfortable situation and how they handled it.

porthole

Retired
if someone finds out I'm carrying the CC laws are the least of my worries.

Unless you are a LEO or retired LEO with a HR-218 permit - a non resident can't CC in New Jersey - period.
The odds of getting a CC in New Jersey is about zero to minus-zero.
It is even mentioned on the CC application the the odds of being approved is almost impossible.

Either of the above two violations, if caught will get you mandatory time.

avvidclif

Unless you are a LEO or retired LEO with a HR-218 permit - a non resident can't CC in New Jersey - period.
The odds of getting a CC in New Jersey is about zero to minus-zero.
It is even mentioned on the CC application the the odds of being approved is almost impossible.

Either of the above two violations, if caught will get you mandatory time.

My ex BIL is a retired deputy sheriff and has the HR218. He skipped a bike rally in NJ because they do not honor the HR218. So did a lot of other retirees. He said they will make you prove it's legal, after you get out of jail. I'm not going to find out, I haven't lost a thing in NJ nor feel the need to look for it. If you plan on traveling there and have an HR218 you might contact the NJ State Police and get a reading from them. Or the State Atty General. That's the only state I'm aware of that ignores it.

danemayer

My ex BIL is a retired deputy sheriff and has the HR218. He skipped a bike rally in NJ because they do not honor the HR218. So did a lot of other retirees. He said they will make you prove it's legal, after you get out of jail. I'm not going to find out, I haven't lost a thing in NJ nor feel the need to look for it. If you plan on traveling there and have an HR218 you might contact the NJ State Police and get a reading from them. Or the State Atty General. That's the only state I'm aware of that ignores it.
I think New York takes a similar approach with respect to Federal Law that allows transport when crossing a state. They throw you in jail and when the trial comes, you can use Federal Law as an affirmative defense to get acquitted - after considerable expense and inconvenience.

porthole

Retired

That is not true. NJ does recognize HR-218.
But NJ is quite restrictive, and trying to get accurate information from the State police is nearly impossible.
Just ask a question regarding hollow points ...........

BigGuy82

Firstly, Clif, I was a police department Range Master and certified instructor for many years in most all weapons short of RPGs although I fired one or two of those so I have shot them all. If you like the .44 mag, go for it. I would not recommend it then and I don't now but to each his own. Most can get 14 on target from a .40 or 9mm easier than trying to keep that big 44 on target.

44 is a terrible self defense weapon - large, hard to conceal, heavy, difficult to hold on target because of huge recoil - not much good about it about it unless you like to go to the range and shoot metal silhouettes

a 357 is my favorite range gun for killing paper - love the balance of my Ruger

a 9 is a light, fast round with limited knock down capability - if it's your choice, pull the trigger a lot if you need to use it

40 or 45 are the ideal weapons for SD - powerful, fast, easy to conceal, great knock down power, easy to reload, reliable. My personal preference is a 45 because I used to compete with one and it's what I carried in the military (before they went to 40's). If you know how to reload quickly, number of rounds in the mag is a non-issue unless you are in a "Hollywood" gunfight.

A small 38 wheel gun without a hammer is an ideal pocket gun

I also have a 5 shot 22 revolver that can be concealed almost anywhere - a great little backup. (the tiny derringer type like the NAA)

But hey, that's just my opinion