BH3160EL and BH3760EL

RonW

Hello all.....DW and I have narrowed our choices down to these two floor plans. We currently have a 28ft 5er and are spending more time in it and planning on going full time (thus the new 5er). The floor plans are very similar with the length being the big difference. We have sat in both models for a long period to get a "feel" for each and discuss likes and dislikes. We would like to hear from folks that have either model and their opinions. If anyone is full time in the BH3160, would like to know how the size works for that.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Ron n Dar

jimtoo

Hi Ron n Dar,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I think you did the right thing by setting and getting the feel of each one by your self and exchanging thoughts. Me, personally, I would go with the longer unit. That 5' difference will get you more storage space and not really make that much difference in towing. We are not full timers, but have had a 35' and now have a 40' and we just love the more room.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit when you decide which one.

Jim M

buddyboy

Speaking as a past full-timer, get the floor plan with the most square footage overall. It's amazing how they can "shrink" when you're in them together 24/7. We've been in other's rigs and when they see the room we have they love it.

osims

bsims
We have a 3160EL that we love. We traded in our 09 40' Landmark on the Bighorn and have no regrets but we don't have any plans to ever full time. With the large opposing slides and taller ceiling it feels bigger than the Landmark. The only thing that took a little getting used to is the queen size bed. Over all we are very happy with the Bighorn.

Oregon_Camper

Full timing in not in our future for another 12 years or so...

We love the high ceiling and massive windows in the 3160. Having those windows on the passenger side makes for a great camp experience. Most of the sites we camp in, have the view on the passenger side....so this is great for us.

We have more than enough space for all our stuff...and we pack a lot of stuff to use for dirtbike riding.

Now...we came from a non-firthwheel, so we're still looking around saying.."what should we put in those cabinets?". We probably have 60% of the space used.

One thing we did was remove the closet doors. I saw no need for them...having to slide them back and forth was a huge PITA. Plus, now we have a great spot to put the dog bed (70lbs lab needs a lot of space..LOL)

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
Hi Ron and Dar. We started out fulltiming in a 19ft travel trailer and when we upgraded to a 2016 3160EL this spring, we feel like we are living in a palace. It's just the two of us and there is plenty of room for everything we need, and still with plenty of extra carrying capacity too. The high ceilings and large windows are wonderful. We opted for not installing the washer and dryer, so that area is a perfect pantry area. When we ordered it, the factory built in a couple extra shelves too. We also requested the vinyl floor throughout the living area, which we really like and seems to make the space feel larger too. The new norcold gas/elec fridge is the perfect size and holds more than enough. I would recommend having the second awning installed, as it does help with shade on those large windows. After speaking with the GM of Bighorn at the Tampa RV show, where we ordered it, we also opted to stay with the single pane windows. He explained that dual pane windows in RVs are not the same as household and do not contain the gas between panes that improves insulation values. The only thing the second pane does is decrease a little noice, but also adds a bit of weight to your camper. Since we added the weight of having a generator and plan to add solar on down the road, we took his recommendation. If you haven't seen a unit with the Cambridge color interior, try to find one. This is what we have and the bright colors along with the coffered ceiling makes it feel so warm and welcoming everytime we walk in.