Norcold

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you are still interested, I recently spoke with Ben Hanlon, Dist Sales Mgr for Bighorn. He said that this 18 cu ft. gas/elec refrigerator is now the standard. It looks great, and I have seen them at the dealers. This is what i will be ordering with my new Bighorn. I have included the web site.
http://www.thetford.com/product/2118-polarmax/
Don

Yep. Saw them too when we toured the plant in April. Will also be our choice in our next Bighorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdoug

We have a 2016 Big Horn model 3010 re we have the 4 door 18 c. f. norcold electric, gas refrigerator we did not want a household fridge in our rv.

SNOKING

Anyone having problems with their freezer not keeping ice cream cold enough? On setting 6 the refrigeration is doing fine. On 7 water bottles are freezing. On 6 ice cream is soft. Chris

sjandbj

My only problem with the Norcold is the warranty is terrible. One year is all they offer. I just had mine lose all of the gas after 18 months. The repair bill is 2/3's the cost for a brand new unit. When i search the web for information there are countless complaints regarding the Norcold unit..... There quality is not up to par for such a expensive unit. I cannot decided if we are going to repair the Norcold or replace it with a residential unit yet. It seems that when the Norclod unit is installed in the slide out and does not have a roof vent the problems increases.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

violinini1

I too have the new Norcold 18 cu ft. refrigerator in my new 3670EL Big Horn. Unfortunately, finding the right temperature where the freezer will keep things frozen and the refrigerator will not freeze the vegetables is still a problem as there is only one adjustment. The freezer and refrigerator do not have separate adjustments. Otherwise, the size and convenience of using gas while away from electric is terrific.

carl.swoyer

I have been doing a lot of reading and researching on this. My norcold is failing and I'm leaning towards the residential. I had a residential in my cedar Creek without any problems. Their is a company in fort Myers FL that is preparing to manufacture a stainless steel cooling system for the norcold s as an aftermarket options

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Anyone having problems with their freezer not keeping ice cream cold enough? On setting 6 the refrigeration is doing fine. On 7 water bottles are freezing. On 6 ice cream is soft. Chris

Had the same problem. I put a jumper across the thermister that turns on the fans on the outside so they run 100% of the time so they draw air constantly across the cooling coils. I added fans the push air around in fridge on the top shelf. Now I run on a setting of 3. Freezer is -12 and -16 and the fridge is 32 to 34. I have not been where it is humid yet, but it was 90 with full sun. With the air moving in the fridge, nothing freezes. Nice to have really cold apples and BEER! If anything would freeze in the fridge it would be the yogurt on the second shelf and the lettuce in the top bin. So far so good nothing freezes in the fridge and the ice cream is firm, but not hard. It is about the consistency of the ice cream you get at a ice cream shop. You can make ice as well, but I use a portable ice maker.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I too have the new Norcold 18 cu ft. refrigerator in my new 3670EL Big Horn. Unfortunately, finding the right temperature where the freezer will keep things frozen and the refrigerator will not freeze the vegetables is still a problem as there is only one adjustment. The freezer and refrigerator do not have separate adjustments. Otherwise, the size and convenience of using gas while away from electric is terrific.

Same here, love the size and accessibility to everything. But at 6, the fridge is a little too cold, freezer a little too warm, according to the thermometers we added in the compartments, that have the designated range marked for "fridge" and "freezer" temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Had the same problem. I put a jumper across the thermister that turns on the fans on the outside so they run 100% of the time so they draw air constantly across the cooling coils. I added fans the push air around in fridge on the top shelf. Now I run on a setting of 3. Freezer is -12 and -16 and the fridge is 32 to 34. I have not been where it is humid yet, but it was 90 with full sun. With the air moving in the fridge, nothing freezes. Nice to have really cold apples and BEER! If anything would freeze in the fridge it would be the yogurt on the second shelf and the lettuce in the top bin. So far so good nothing freezes in the fridge and the ice cream is firm, but not hard. It is about the consistency of the ice cream you get at a ice cream shop. You can make ice as well, but I use a portable ice maker.

Do you have details on how to bypass the thermister. Thanks Chris

violinini1

Are you afraid that you might have fan problems? What fans did you install in the refrigerator? Sounds like a good fix if the long term wear is not going to cause a problem.

ksucats

My last coach had the LP/Elec refer in its slide. It came with a very small fan that was located up near the upper outside vent. We noticed that the refrigerator never seemed to be cold, and the freezer, well forget about freezing anything. Found that insulation had fallen on top of the fan (actually fallen across the whole opening, and there was no air circulating across the vents. Long story short, we got the insulation properly placed, added a large (6 inch as I recall) 12V computer fan to move a lot more air that the very tiny one originally installed, and we could now freeze anything, anywhere. Once we did that we were able to move the temperature setting to what I'd consider a three (had what looked like cell phone signal bars for cooling levels) from full blast. Freezer compartment worked great and refer side was good. We did add a small battery operated fan (that had charcoal added) that would run about a month between battery changes. That kept the refer side evenly cool otherwise we found that there was a significant temperature variation top to bottom on the refer. Hope this helps.