Trailer saver BD-3 hitch warning

szewczyk_john

After returning from last weeks race, we went to the storage area to unhook the trailer. I noticed one of the two shock absorbers laying on the bed of the truck. The mounting pin of the upper head had broken free. I called hensley and they stated that the piece just needed to be welded back in place. It was also stated that from time to time these pins are merely tacked into place and some have left the facility without being fully welded into place. This pin does not get excessive forces applied to it but there were no welds around these pin to the upper head frame. I wire brushed the frame to bare metal and re-welded the pin in place by laying a good weld all around the pin were it meets the face of the upper head. There were signs of small tack welds from the backside of the pin. I decided that the pin fit back into the face far enough that just the face welding would be strong enough. I then welded the second pin in a similar fashion. Finished it up with a coat of black spray paint. Sorry I did not take in pictures as I was in a friend's shop using his welder and other tools.

I bought this hitch used from an older gentleman that had to get out of RVing due to health issues. He told me it was 1.5 years old and I have had it for 4 seasons. We have enjoyed the benefits of a good quality hitch, but I was just surprised by this failure. That being said, I did not notice any difference in the towing while it was broken and in fact, i can not even say when it broke. I do not remember any big bumps along the way. I would advise any owners to take a look at the upper pins and if you do not see a weld around were the pins enter the face of the upper head, lay a weld bead right at that point around the pin. Mine made it through 5 plus seasons before failing so maybe yours will never need fixed.

OEFVET

After returning from last weeks race, we went to the storage area to unhook the trailer. I noticed one of the two shock absorbers laying on the bed of the truck. The mounting pin of the upper head had broken free. I called hensley and they stated that the piece just needed to be welded back in place. It was also stated that from time to time these pins are merely tacked into place and some have left the facility without being fully welded into place. This pin does not get excessive forces applied to it but there were no welds around these pin to the upper head frame. I wire brushed the frame to bare metal and re-welded the pin in place by laying a good weld all around the pin were it meets the face of the upper head. There were signs of small tack welds from the backside of the pin. I decided that the pin fit back into the face far enough that just the face welding would be strong enough. I then welded the second pin in a similar fashion. Finished it up with a coat of black spray paint. Sorry I did not take in pictures as I was in a friend's shop using his welder and other tools.

I find Hensley's response to your inquiry very troubling. They admit to not welding the piece in place properly. IMHO Hensley hitches are NOT worth the money if this stuff happens. This is why we pay premium prices, which all Hensley hitches are priced at premium prices.

porthole

Retired
I wonder if the shocks really do anything anyway.

My shocks had leaked and were totally shot within the 1st year. I didn't notice any difference between the non shocking shocks and the replacements.
Some day I may look for replacements that are really heavy duty with a different rating then just 50/50. Like 20% compression and 80% rebound or maybe even 10% - 90%

kdubinwa

I wonder if the shocks really do anything anyway.

My shocks had leaked and were totally shot within the 1st year. I didn't notice any difference between the non shocking shocks and the replacements.
Some day I may look for replacements that are really heavy duty with a different rating then just 50/50. Like 20% compression and 80% rebound or maybe even 10% - 90%

Hmmm... Excellent point. I think it is time to watch mine as well. Let us know if you find a beefy replacement shock that fits --- I don't think I'll order a replacement from Hensley if needed.

OEFVET

I had an air leak earlier this year and I couldn't fix it for several days. That's when I believe the shocks do the most in the event that you have an air leak and it's bottomed out.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Westwind

I'm on my 2nd Hensley product and have been satisfied with both and the support that I received from the company, I did learn from trying to sell my first hitch that the company provides support to the original purchaser but that was not the case with the second owner. At the time, if my memory is working, they would work out a second warranty at a cost. I don't know of any company that provides warranty for second owners, I feel the remark that the Hensley rep made was unfortunate and gives a bad rep to the product.

szewczyk_john

My purpose for posting was to notify other owners of a potential defect that might need addressed. I never bad mouthed the product and in fact I stated that I am a satisfied owner and I am glad that I own a quality hitch. I never excepted warranty work to be done as the product has been in use for as long as it has been. I am still a happy owner.

porthole

Retired
I had an air leak earlier this year and I couldn't fix it for several days. That's when I believe the shocks do the most in the event that you have an air leak and it's bottomed out.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Chris, when there is no air, the shocks are not moving, unless you hit a really really really big bump :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know of any company that provides warranty for second owners

Your vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I'll order a replacement from Hensley if needed.

My hitch came with "OEM" style Monroe shocks. OEM style meaning they were sans any markings and color like over the counter parts.

OEFVET

Yes big bumps and movement did occur. Air bags were low but not completely flat which caused a lot more movement then normal.

Sent by NY Horse Holder