Yet another question about hitches

Hi -

We have had a Hijacker 24PA for the 7 years we've been using a 5th wheel. Originally it was towing a light weight Chaparral but we've moved up to a Big Country 3450TS. The jaws are hard to release and I'm concerned that being out in weather for this long has degraded the hitch. Combined with the higher weight I'm wondering if it's time for a new hitch.
This is rated at 16K, which feels too close to the 15.5K GVWR rating on the trailer for me. It feels like we have more jerking at start and stop than before, don't know if this is slop in the hitch or just the extra weight.

Would you think a beefier hitch would be better for us? I'm not into overkill, but peace of mind is important. Hopefully I can use the existing rails that were installed for the Hijacker, but if not that's the way it goes.

I see recommendations for pulrite, b&w, and curt. I think the hensley is out of my price range.

Thanks,
Jon

GOTTOYS

You would be very happy with a new B&W Patriot model. They come in both a 16k and 18k version and should drop right into place using your existing rails. Best check the prices online. I have one and it is by far the smoothest and easiest to use hitch I've owned. A bonus: It's made in America with materials from America by a great company. Many of the competitors are outsourcing their products overseas. Do a search online and read a little about the company and you'll see just what a great place it is. JMHO...Don

Thanks Don. Would you suggest the 18K version? I can't imagine we'd ever get a larger/heavier trailer, but then again I didn't think we'd ever get one this nice either.

Jon

GOTTOYS

Thanks Don. Would you suggest the 18K version? I can't imagine we'd ever get a larger/heavier trailer, but then again I didn't think we'd ever get one this nice either.

Jon
The 16K and 18K are almost exactly the same. The only difference being the base on the 18K is all welded, the base on the 16K is bolted together. The head unit which is removable, is the the same and is interchangeable between the two. Given the price difference of around $150.00, if you shop around..I would get the 18K version. Either way you would get what I think, is the best hitch available for the money. I love mine 100% satisfied..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The jerking starting and stopping can also be helped by replacing the OEM pinbox. I like the Mor/Ryde pinbox, not too expensive and easy to install. Sure stopped a lot of "chucking" from our BH.

The jerking starting and stopping can also be helped by replacing the OEM pinbox. I like the Mor/Ryde pinbox, not too expensive and easy to install. Sure stopped a lot of "chucking" from our BH.

Thanks Bob. Looking at this as well, seems like a really good option.

Jon

When I think I have it all decided, something comes up. Went to look at hitches today and the dealer has a Hensley BD3 with SimpleSlide in stock at $2949. More expensive than I want to spend, but I'm willing to do it if this is the best option for me.
Is this a good price, worth the cost?
Thanks again,
Jon

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When I think I have it all decided, something comes up. Went to look at hitches today and the dealer has a Hensley BD3 with SimpleSlide in stock at $2949. More expensive than I want to spend, but I'm willing to do it if this is the best option for me.
Is this a good price, worth the cost?
Thanks again,
Jon

We have the TS3 and love it The BD3 is similar. Hensley makes the best hitch IMHO so you can't go wrong. The design helps protect the RV from the shaking and bouncing on our crummy roads.

Thanks. I take the trailer in tomorrow morning for a few warranty things that came up on the first trip, I'm going to try and talk them down a bit more in price, or throw in installation (which I assume will be easy since I have rails already installed that are supposed to be standard).
Jon

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. We now have a TrailerSaver BD-3 that I think we're going to be very happy with. Of course the existing rails didn't work in spite of Hensley and the dealer saying they would prior to purchase, but I'm actually happier that everything was replaced and new.

Jon